It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Poor eating habits and Vitamins

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-30-2004, 12:50 AM   #1
    DueNApril09
    (female)

DueNApril09 HB User
    Unhappy Poor eating habits and Vitamins

hi. i'm currently taking a multi-vitamin (GNC Women's Ultra Mega) 2x daily and 1800mcg of biotin (for hair, skin, & nails) also daily. The problem is, I have what most would consider "poor eating habits" -- due to time and convienance, I usually pick up a burrito or hamburger at the nearest fast food chain for almost every meal... sounds pretty bad, huh? I rarely ead "healthy", but I do take my vitamins religously. What I'm wondering is: even though I take vitamins, does it really matter because I have such bad eating habits? I mean, am I really benefiting from my vitamin regimen when I am also ingesting such unhealthy, processed foods??? Just curious.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #2
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User
    Re: Poor eating habits and Vitamins

You probably won't develop any nutritional deficiencies as long as you take your multi vitamin but these days they are finding more and more vitamins in fruits and veggies that they never knew existed so those things will not be in the vitamin you take. So over the long term it could be harmful to your health. Also your body absorbs more nutrients from food that is nutritious then a vitamin.
    You probably won't develope a problem but you could. Healthy food with antioxidants prevent cancer and a lot of other health problems. They recently found a nutrient in a tomato skin called Lycopene that in studies they have done can prevent colon cancer. They have started adding it to vitamins now so it makes me wonder how many other compounds or vitamins and minerals are in the foods we eat that they don't know about yet. When I worked full time I would be eating fast food for lunch every day almost. I would try to get things like the Wendy's salads they have meat in them and cheese and veggies. Or go to Subway and put lots of veggies on the sandwich that you get. That was another thing I would do.

Just a question. Are you low on energy and just feel like crap sometimes. Every time I ate fast food like a hamburger with fries I would just feel sick when I went back to work and had hardly any energy to do my job. It was a signal to my body that I was not getting the nutrition that my body needed to keep going.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User
    Re: Poor eating habits and Vitamins

Vitamins are better than nothing, especially if you're eating fast food. Try to cut down on fast food, maybe eat one healthy lunch per week, then two, then three.....so forth. Even when you get to a healthy place, you may still need vitamins. Fresh food isn't what it used to be in the old days, with all the hybridization, forced ripening, and depleted soil nutrients. But it's still better than fast food!

Closed Thread