It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Organic Flax Seeds: Is there really a difference?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
    MachOneMustang
    (male)

MachOneMustang HB User
    Question Organic Flax Seeds: Is there really a difference?

Hey Guys.

I was at a local flea market the other day, looking at all the difference spices and seeds they carried, and I realized something. Of the 2 different kinds of flax seeds that they offer, one of them (the darker kind) is listed as "Organic Flax Seed," while the other goes by the alias "Premium Golden Flax Seed." The premium flax seeds are $.10/lb more expensive than the organic kind.

Here's my dilemma... we all know that non-GMO (organic) food products are better for you nutritionally, for they don't contain the chemicals and pesticides used to "enhance" the quality (more like the illusion of) of them. We also all know that if a certain product (especially in the food/supplement industry) doesn't say something, or doesn't list it... don't count on they just forgot to mention it.

The "Premium Golden Flax Seeds" are NOT labeled as organic (although they are listed as "premium," whatever that means), which would leave me to believe they are not.

So here's the bottom line. In the world of flax seeds, does the fact that they're organic matter? The golden flax seeds that are NOT organic... is there a risk that they have a lesser nutritional value because of this? And lastly... what IS the actual difference between the "standard" dark flax seeds and their golden counterparts? Thanks!

Last edited by MachOneMustang; 02-25-2005 at 03:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
    popeye77
    (male)

popeye77 HB User
    Re: Organic Flax Seeds: Is there really a difference?

Having just gotten into grinding flaxseeds a month ago, I also found Golden and Brown varieties. Most of both varieties seem to come from Canada. From my limited reading there is no real difference between the two as far as benefits. I actually paid more for the Golden ($1.69lb.) at WHOLE FOODS. They're a pretty much national chain I think. Once seeds are ground they are subject to spoilage, so refrigerate them. While grinding is a pain, the Flaxseed is better for you as it contains higher percentage of Lignan (the seed husk). I don't know if I'd buy at a flea mkt.. But maybe things at flea mkts. by you are more sanitary than around here.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
    MachOneMustang
    (male)

MachOneMustang HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Organic Flax Seeds: Is there really a difference?

Jrmcxx, I have since read similar testimonies as the one you have given me. The "Golden" and "Organic" varieties of flax seeds seem to be indistinguishable as far as health benefits go, and the only REAL difference between them is that people say the Golden taste better. I did, last week, buy another pound's worth of the "Premium Golden Flax Seed," however next time around I will be sure to try the organic.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
    popeye77
    (male)

popeye77 HB User
    Re: Organic Flax Seeds: Is there really a difference?

Lemme know your effects/results please. I've been taking 2 tblespoons of "High Lignan" FLAXSEED OIL for about a year. I felt aches and pains improvement in about 2 months. If I can get higher percentage of roughage with same benes as oil for less $$$ so be it.

Closed Thread