HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Vitamins & Supplements (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Green tea capsules versus green tea? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/vitamins-supplements/287220-green-tea-capsules-versus-green-tea.html)

Jess75 05-23-2005 09:26 PM

Green tea capsules versus green tea?

Hi,
I know how good green tea is and was wondering if the capsules are just as good or better than original tea itself? Thank you

quincy 05-25-2005 11:15 AM

Re: Green tea capsules versus green tea?

Hi, I take green tea capsules (3 daily) for cholesterol. I personally don't like drinking tea (anymore) and really don't like the taste of green tea (what required amount would be to get any benefits).

I guess it would depend on what benefits you're wanting to achieve as to what form you take.

hope this helps,
quincy

Jess75 05-25-2005 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=quincy]Hi, I take green tea capsules (3 daily) for cholesterol. I personally don't like drinking tea (anymore) and really don't like the taste of green tea (what required amount would be to get any benefits).

I guess it would depend on what benefits you're wanting to achieve as to what form you take.

hope this helps,
quincy[/QUOTE]
Is it good for antioxidants and health? Ya know, the capsules? Better than tea? Worse than tea?

quincy 05-25-2005 10:01 PM

Hi, tea is an antioxidant, good for alll sorts of health woes and prevention... so I 've read.

The capsules are a concentrated version...the extract of green tea.
I use Organika 300mg. Each capsule contain 95% tea polyphenols. I take 3 daily.

Green tea is also in many protein drinks and is used to "increase" metabolism to help with weight loss. I haven't noticed any weight loss....but I think I'd have to cut out some of my bad eating habits first. Of course...chocolate has the same good stuff in them as well.
Now, I'd never even dream of taking chocolate in capsule form...I'd miss out on the emotional/mouth satisfaction. Drinking Tea just doesn't have the same effect on me..LOL!!

q

Jess75 05-25-2005 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=quincy]Hi, tea is an antioxidant, good for alll sorts of health woes and prevention... so I 've read.

The capsules are a concentrated version...the extract of green tea.
I use Organika 300mg. Each capsule contain 95% tea polyphenols. I take 3 daily.

Green tea is also in many protein drinks and is used to "increase" metabolism to help with weight loss. I haven't noticed any weight loss....but I think I'd have to cut out some of my bad eating habits first. Of course...chocolate has the same good stuff in them as well.
Now, I'd never even dream of taking chocolate in capsule form...I'd miss out on the emotional/mouth satisfaction. Drinking Tea just doesn't have the same effect on me..LOL!!

q[/QUOTE]
Haha, yah I know. But do you think that the capsules have just as good antioxidant activity as the tea? Sorry for being a pain, but I'm thinking drinking the tea would be "healthier." i'm not sure though.lol

Hitmen 05-26-2005 08:32 AM

Well it's been stated that you must drink about thre cups of green tea daily for any real benefit. I sometimes have trouble fitting in three servings of green tea daily. If I were to drink two servings at once and then one later on would this still count as three servings?

quincy 05-26-2005 08:36 AM

I can't answer that for you...healthy is a personal perspective. If you mean that drinking tea has less bad stuff in it than capsules, I think it would depend on the tea you drink.

If you drink green tea from bags, it might not give you the benefits compared to dried green tea in loose form. The bags are filled with the dregs from the tea process (like the little bits at the bottom of a bag of popcorn).

You might also want to check out rooibos (royboss) tea. As well white tea.

you're not a pain...maybe I'm not understanding what it is you want from the tea.

quincy

Jennita 05-26-2005 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=Jessicca]Hi,
I know how good green tea is and was wondering if the capsules are just as good or better than original tea itself? Thank you[/QUOTE]

It seems I always read that processed sythetic pills never live up to the natural or food version with most vitamins and supplements but I really can't say about the tea but I imagine the tea is in it's food form and better than a pill.

quincy 05-26-2005 11:52 PM

synthetic isn't the same as extract of a standardised %. If you want synthetic polyphenols...I don't know where you would get them....but if you want green tea extract in pill form then you would have to read the label and make sure it's a high percentage and standardised.

or

drink the green tea

synthetic (artificially created to have similar properties and benefits as the original product), is something that one would have to read the label to find out and make the decision to purchase or not. Not something I would knowingly purchase.

It would be processed yes,...but all tea is processed. I doubt you're getting tea leaves and roasting/drying/grinding them yourself.
Green capsules would be concentrated tea...with a few buffers/fillers in them (magnesium..etc) and in a gelatin capsule (unless you're a vegan and won't consume them).

I won't dispute that some things are better taken through food. But these are called "supplements".....added to one's diet. If you feel you'll get enough through drinking green tea...then that's a good decision.

There are books available on the benefits of green tea. Green tea being available in a variety of flavours/forms and caffeine free as well. Lots to choose from.

Be well,
quincy