It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• anyone taking SAM e?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
    amo
    (female)

amo HB User
    Question anyone taking SAM e?

I am curious about supplementing with SAM e. I was reading about it on the acne forum concerning histadelia (high histamine levels), and I'd like to know a bit more about it before I give it a try.
    Anyone?
    Thx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User
    Re: anyone taking SAM e?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by amo
    I am curious about supplementing with SAM e. I was reading about it on the acne forum concerning histadelia (high histamine levels), and I'd like to know a bit more about it before I give it a try.
    Anyone?
    Thx
    Hi amo,
    SAM-e has many amazing abilities..... I have been taking it for a year now and believe in it....

SAM-e, (short for S-adenosylmethionine, also spelled SAMe) is made from the amino acid methionine and ATP. SAM-e is a methyl donor involved in the making of dozens of important compounds in the body. SAM-e has been available by prescription in Europe for many years as an antidepressant but has been available over the counter in the US only since about 1996. Below are dosage ranges of SAMe that have been used as nutritional support for various conditions.

Depression -- Four hundred milligrams, three to four times daily. Start at a dosage of 200 milligrams twice daily for the first day. Increase to 400 milligrams twice daily on day three, 400 milligrams three times daily on day ten, and finally to the full dosage of 400 milligrams four times daily after 20 days, if required.

Osteoarthritis -- Start by following the guidelines for depression. After 21 days at a dosage of 1,200 milligrams daily, reduce dosage to a maintenance dosage (minimum dosage required to alleviate symptoms) of two hundred milligrams a day.

Fibromyalgia -- Two hundred milligrams to four hundred milligrams, two times daily.

Liver Disorders -- Two hundred milligrams to four hundred milligrams, two to three times daily.

Migraine Headaches --Two hundred milligrams to four hundred milligrams, two times daily (Requires long term use of SAMe for maximum effectiveness).

SAMe Side Effects & Precautions
    SAMe is extremely safe and non-toxic. In clinical studies, SAMe is typically compared against placebo and other compounds for benefits and side effects. While SAMe usually produces beneficial effects superior to drugs and other nutrients, it often produces an incidence of side effects that are lower than the placebo!

While antidepressants can cause liver damage, SAMe has been shown in numerous studies to be liver-protective. SAMe also has no withdrawal reaction, commonly found when antidepressants are stopped abruptly.

After beginning SAMe supplementation, a positive response is often felt within a week of starting the program, and often within days, but it may take as long as four weeks.

In a few sensitive individuals, SAMe may cause gastric irritation or an upset stomach. While it is preferable to take SAMe on an empty stomach, it can be taken with meals if necessary to avoid upset stomach.

SAMe's antidepressant activity may lead to the manic phase in individuals with bipolar (manic) depression.

There are no reported negative interactions with other medications or nutritional supplements.

To avoid conversion of SAMe into high levels of homocysteine you should also be taking the cofactors, vitamin B6 (50 mg), vitamin B12 (1000 mcg), and folic acid (800 mcg), to enhance production of the SAMe precursor, methionine. Homocysteine has been implicated as a contributing factor in heart disease, osteoarthritis and other degenerative conditions.

Personally, I have been taking 400 mg, once aday, and I feel so much better (and a bit less depressed) than I used to..... I believe in the SAM-e....

Last edited by TheHappyMan; 07-24-2005 at 06:08 PM.

Old 07-24-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
    amo
    (female)

amo HB User

Thanks so much Happy Man.
    That was all the info I needed, and a bit more!
    I'll post once I've been on it for awhile to let you know my results.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
    Dancergrl28
    (female)

Dancergrl28 HB User

Good info. I was interested in taking SAMe as well. I have adhd and recently have been having a hard time keeping up with the rat race (so to speak). Im a vegitarian that doesn't get a good amount of vitamins-although im trying to change that. I've been sick alot lately(cold,bronchites,...)and don't have very much energy AT ALL. I've heard that 5HTP and SAMe were good for depression so im trying to find out a little more about both. Anyone know what the difference is between 5htp & SAMe? Is it ok to take them together?Any opinion on which one is better? Any info would be appreciated

Last edited by Dancergrl28; 07-25-2005 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling wrong

Old 07-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dancergrl28
    Good info. I was interested in taking SAMe as well. I have adhd and recently have been having a hard time keeping up with the rat race (so to speak). Im a vegitarian that doesn't get a good amount of vitamins-although im trying to change that. I've been sick alot lately(cold,bronchites,...)and don't have very much energy AT ALL. I've heard that 5HTP and SAMe were good for depression so im trying to find out a little more about both. Anyone know what the difference is between 5htp & SAMe? Is it ok to take them together?Any opinion on which one is better? Any info would be appreciated
    Never tried 5HTP, but SAM-e works wonders.....
    I wish it was a little cheaper.... I get mine at Sams Club...

Last edited by TheHappyMan; 07-25-2005 at 08:06 PM.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #6
    theREDshoes

theREDshoes HB User

SAM-e, (short for S-adenosylmethionine, also spelled SAMe) is made from the amino acid methionine and ATP. SAM-e is a methyl donor involved in the making of dozens of important compounds in the body. SAM-e has been available by prescription in Europe for many years as an antidepressant but has been available over the counter in the US only since about 1996. Below are dosage ranges of SAMe that have been used as nutritional support for various conditions.

I don't take SAMe myself but use othromolecular medicine. Ortho does treat that type, histadelic or high histamine types. That is not my condition but I do know that ortho says that high histamine should always cycle the methionine. I have seen others post on using SAMe on other forums and they say they use it consistently but seem to get mixed results somehow. I honestly think that some should really consider cycling this too if they try using every day and find that it causes some mixed results.

Ortho does not recommend that high histamine types take any folic acid supplements since folic acid actually helps raise histamine levels. (Folic acid supplements can actually make a histadelic depressed.) But using naicin might be helpful but it should be in a form other than nicotinic acid. Nicotinic acid is the form of naicin that causes the flushing. That flushing is simply your histamine levels rising (actually your basophil and mast cells filling with histamine during that flush). But that is correct that the SAMe can be converted into homocysteine which you don't want, so other supplements can be helpful.
    To avoid conversion of SAMe into high levels of homocysteine you should also be taking the cofactors, vitamin B6 (50 mg), vitamin B12 (1000 mcg), and folic acid (800 mcg), to enhance production of the SAMe precursor, methionine. Homocysteine has been implicated as a contributing factor in heart disease, osteoarthritis and other degenerative conditions.

Personally, I have been taking 400 mg, once aday, and I feel so much better (and a bit less depressed) than I used to..... I believe in the SAM-e....
    [/QUOTE]

Old 07-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #7
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

SAM-e FYI

Beneficial Effects
    SAM is involved in over 40 biochemical reactions in the body. It functions closely with folic acid and vitamin B12 in "methylation" reactions--the process of adding a single carbon unit (a metyl group) to another molecule. SAM is many times more effective in transferring methyl groups than other methyl donors. Methylation reactions are critical in the manufacture of many body components--- especially brain chemical --and in detoxification reactions.

SAM is also required in the manufacture of all sulfur-containing compounds in the human body, including glutathione and various sulfur-containing cartilage components. The beneficial effects of SAM supplementation are far-reaching because of its central role in so many metabolic processes.

Principal Uses
    There are five principal conditions where SAM is used: depression, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, liver disorders, and migraine headaches.

Old 08-06-2005, 01:17 PM   #8
    amo
    (female)

amo HB User

So much great info! Thanks. I'm still waiting to try supplementing the SAMe for a few reasons, but it is on my to-do list.

TheREDshoes: when you talk about cycling the dose, I think I know what you mean, but could you specify? should it be taken for a while, then take a break?

Thanks again!

Old 08-09-2005, 09:06 PM   #9
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by amo
    So much great info! Thanks. I'm still waiting to try supplementing the SAMe for a few reasons, but it is on my to-do list.

TheREDshoes: when you talk about cycling the dose, I think I know what you mean, but could you specify? should it be taken for a while, then take a break?

Thanks again!
    I Started out with the recommended 400 mg a day of Sam-e - it takes a number of weeks to take effect - NOW, I am down to just one 200 mg pill a day..... I was never really in a bad mood or all that depressed, but since I have been taking the sam-e i am feeling better than ever....
    BOMBS AWAY ....

Old 08-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #10
    amo
    (female)

amo HB User

For those already taking Sam-e, do you take it with a meal, or on an empty stomach? I am prone to stomach upset, and am not sure which would be better.
    I just got some Sam-e today, and am looking forward to starting it.
    As regards other vitamins to be taking, will the Sam-e be harmful or less effective if taken on it's own?
    I take a supplement called All-in-One by Solgar, which provides 42 mg of B6, and I have a B-complex that has 5 mg of B6, 12.5 mcg of B12 (as well as B1, B2, Niacin, Biotin, Pantothenic acid, and Iron). I am not currently taking the B-complex, but should I begin taking it when I start the Sam-e?
    Did anyone notice any side effects of the Sam-e?
    As you can see, now that I have it, I am excited/terrified of taking the Sam-e
    You have provided me with so much info, but any other advice anyone might have is always greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Old 08-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #11
    Michael01
    Inactive

Michael01 HB User

Happy Man: Yes, SAMe can be very expensive. I'm paying $23.99 for 60 tabs 200mg. This is the lowest price I've been able to find. They also sell 400mg 30 tabs for $22.49. They're Enteric Coated whatever that means. I take 200mg a day for the liver. I won't take any more than this since I'm taking many other items for the liver.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:02 PM   #12
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael01
    Happy Man: Yes, SAMe can be very expensive. I'm paying $23.99 for 60 tabs 200mg. This is the lowest price I've been able to find. They also sell 400mg 30 tabs for $22.49. They're Enteric Coated whatever that means. I take 200mg a day for the liver. I won't take any more than this since I'm taking many other items for the liver.
    Hi Michael01 -
    Yes, Sam-w is expensive. I have been getting 100 Qty -200 mg tablets for about $35 from Sams Club....... I buy the 200 mg tabs because I like to take one in the morning and one in the evening.... They Say, that after you have been taking it for a while you can reduce the 400 mg a day to 200 mg and get the same effect.......

So what else are you taking for your Liver...... ?????

Old 08-12-2005, 10:49 AM   #13
    amo
    (female)

amo HB User

HappyMan,
    If your out there, please check out my newer post on page two of this thread, I have some more questions!!??
    I need reassurance also. These supplements make me nervous.
    Anyone?
    Thanks

Old 08-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #14
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by amo
    HappyMan,
    If your out there, please check out my newer post on page two of this thread, I have some more questions!!??
    I need reassurance also. These supplements make me nervous.
    Anyone?
    Thanks
    I read your earlier thread -
    For those already taking Sam-e, do you take it with a meal, or on an empty stomach? I am prone to stomach upset, and am not sure which would be better.
    I just got some Sam-e today, and am looking forward to starting it.
    As regards other vitamins to be taking, will the Sam-e be harmful or less effective if taken on it's own?
    I take a supplement called All-in-One by Solgar, which provides 42 mg of B6, and I have a B-complex that has 5 mg of B6, 12.5 mcg of B12 (as well as B1, B2, Niacin, Biotin, Pantothenic acid, and Iron). I am not currently taking the B-complex, but should I begin taking it when I start the Sam-e?
    Did anyone notice any side effects of the Sam-e?
    As you can see, now that I have it, I am excited/terrified of taking the Sam-e
    You have provided me with so much info, but any other advice anyone might have is always greatly appreciated!

As I said I noticed no side effects with SAM-e and I take a lot of other Vitamins and Supplements with the Sam-e. Stop worrying so much...... You mentioned you have some "more questions" well, ask away..... Hey - start taking it and enjoy......... there is nothing to be terrified of......

Last edited by TheHappyMan; 08-12-2005 at 05:55 PM.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:20 PM   #15
    amo
    (female)

amo HB User

Okay Everyone,
    I began taking SAM-e last week, we'll see...
    If anyone has any info, these are my questions:
    1.) I have the 200 mg. tablets, should I be taking one tab 2x a day, or 2 tabs once a day? Does it matter?
    2.) Because I am taking this to try and balance my histamine levels, I am concerned about what B vits (or anything else) I need to take to make sure the SAM-e is doing it's job. I am refering to methylation, and homocystine metabolism.
    Anyone who has info, please share!!!!
    Thanks.

Closed Thread