It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• What is good brand of multi-vitamin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
    redrose
    (female)

redrose HB User
    What is good brand of multi-vitamin

I've read so much about the values of fish oil that went out today and bought some Carlson Super Omega-3 Fish Oils, which has:

Vitamin E (as d-Alpha tocopherol) 10 IU
    Other Omega-3 Fatty Acids 100 mg
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids (from fish oil) 600 mg
    DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 200 mg
    EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 300 mg

I took my first one tonight with supper, I just hope I don't burp fish all night. I would also like to add a good multi-vitamin. Just wondering what a good one might be. I'm a 43 yr old female who works a full time job sitting at a computer all day and has a 15 yr old daughter that keeps me busy also.

Thanks,
    redrose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2005, 01:56 PM   #2
    cwhb

cwhb HB User
    Re: What is good brand of multi-vitamin

I like Megabiotics Juventrum because of the antioxidants it has. I used to take Purity Products Perfect Multi, also a good one. Natural Nutrition Center has 2 good ones, too -- one high-potency, one like Centrum. I believe these are all natural.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
    redrose
    (female)

redrose HB User

Thanks, I'll take a look at those.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
    Daphnee

Daphnee HB User

Since I am on a diet my vitamin of choice right now is the advanced formula carb assist Centrum. Any vitamin in the Centrum family is good so you might check these out as well.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:49 AM   #5
    cwhb

cwhb HB User

You're welcome. In my opinion the decision as to whether to take Centrum or an equivalent that gives you 100% of the RDA basic vitamins or to take a high-potency vitamin depends on what vitamin philosophy you subscribe to.

Ray Kurzweil, a futurist who has written many best-selling books, is a proponent of antioxidant vitamins with doses larger than the RDI (see explanation below) because of their anti-aging properties. According to my friend (because I haven't read the book yet) he believes if you can stay alive for the next 20-40 years (sorry, I can't remember the number) you will be able to live virtually forever.

How much of each vitamin to take is confusing because RDA means Recommended Dietary Allowances, while the U.S. RDA is the Recommended Daily Allowances required in labeling by the U.S. government. U.S. RDA's are based on RDA. To avoid confusion, U.S. RDA is now referred to as RDI, Recommended Daily Intake.

If I understand it correctly, the term DRI, Dietary Reference Intake, is a newer term than RDA which includes RDA but also includes other reference values. From one government site:
    "The DRIs are actually a set of four reference values: Estimated Average Requirements (EAR), Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA), Adequate Intakes (AI), and Tolerable Upper Intake Levels, (UL) that have replaced the 1989 Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs)"

Closed Thread