It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• vitimain b12 deficiency

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
    zorm
    Veteran
    (female)

zorm HB User
    vitimain b12 deficiency

i am 28 yr old with sevre vitimain b12 deficiency anyone know the causes or treatment- i hhave suspected lupus too.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
    suziewong
    (female)

suziewong HB User
    Re: vitimain b12 deficiency

HI my daughter as vb deficancey she 19 year old she has to have injections every three month but doctors have not said why have you any more info on this yet she also as raynauds disease as anyone in your family got any autoimmune disease as i have sjogrens which doctors have told me is related to raynauds my youngest daughter is 13 and has just started with raynauds.vitamin b deficancy cancause other problems with in brain and nervouse system.if you have anymore info please let me know.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:57 PM   #3
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
    Re: vitimain b12 deficiency

Your doctor should have done a blood test to determine if your deficiency is caused by an absorption problem. (I think it's a test for parietal cell antibodies.) There are cells in the stomach that secrete a substance that helps your body absorb B12. In some people, they get an autoimmune disease where the body attacks those cells and they can no longer secrete that substance. Then, your body doesn't absorb any of the B12 you are eating. When you don't get enough B12, you become anemic, and this particular kind of anemia is called pernicious anemia.

The other way that you can end up with a B12 deficiency is if you don't get enough of it in your diet. This is generally only a problem for vegans.

Treatment, either way, is to supplement B12. You can either take pills, use sublingual drops, or injections. If you are severely anemic, you should probably start off with an injection. If a blood test shows that you aren't able to absorb B12 in your stomach, then you'll have to go with sublingual administration or injections. If the problem is that you aren't getting enough in your diet, you can take pills or modify your diet.

With the lupus, I would suspect that you have the autoimmune issue with the B12, too, since autoimmune disorders can often come in groups. You might check out the anemia board, as you should be able to find some threads on pernicious anemia there.

Good luck.

Closed Thread