It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Experience with Fish Oil (Mood Elevation)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
    ZoloftMan
    (male)

ZoloftMan HB User
    Experience with Fish Oil (Mood Elevation)

Hey here,

I've been taking 2 GNC Fish Oil Capsules (bitting tip and draining out oil) for 3 weeks and just increased to 3 Capsules a day per the GNC guy. He said it takes 4-6 weeks to start to feel the mood elevation at 3 per day.

Has anyone else taken Fish Oil for depression? If so, how long did it take to fully kick in? I know that study show that it elevate moods and of course is good for the heart.

Thanks,
    Zoloftman

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
    sweetjuliet39
    (female)

sweetjuliet39 HB User
    Smile Re: Experience with Fish Oil (Mood Elevation)

Hi Zoloftman, Yes, I started with fish oils about 6-weeks ago. I actually take cod liver oil in liquid form. I take it at night 1-teaspoon, plug my nose it smells and taste awful, But I have had great results from the oil. I suffer from alot of joint aches from hashimoto's thyroid ( autoimune disease) And depression, And brain fog as we call it fuzzy thinking. Well I have had this for 4-years and For the first time I am pain free, Cleared thinking and not depressed. I believe there is somthing to these oils. Cod liver may taste horrid but it works. Let me know how the oils are working. Sweetjuliet39

Old 01-24-2006, 08:59 PM   #3
    sweetjuliet39
    (female)

sweetjuliet39 HB User
    Smile Re: Experience with Fish Oil (Mood Elevation)

I forgot to tell you for me it kicked in soon within weeks. Thanks sweetjuliet39

Old 01-25-2006, 05:05 AM   #4
    ZoloftMan
    (male)

ZoloftMan HB User
    Re: Experience with Fish Oil (Mood Elevation)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweetjuliet39
    I forgot to tell you for me it kicked in soon within weeks. Thanks sweetjuliet39
    Hey there, thanks for the info. What's the difference between Fish Oil and Cod Liver Oil?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Last edited by ZoloftMan; 01-25-2006 at 05:06 AM.

Old 02-04-2006, 05:20 AM   #5
    allforlorn

allforlorn HB User

Hey Zoloftman

my mood elevated in i would say about two weeks. i started thinking to myself, whoa, i feel great. and i stopped being depressed and im pretty cheery theses days.

thats what i love about fish oil capsules

Old 02-04-2006, 06:10 AM   #6
    cookiepls
    Inactive
    (female)

cookiepls HB User

Aaron,
    The fish oil capsules can contain cod liver oil, salmon oil, or any other type of cold water fish oil. Both the fish oil, and the cod liver oil are cold water fish sources of EFA's so either one provides the omega 3 and works the same.
    Although, I don't have depression, I started taking them to replace the OTC sleep aids I was using (for years) and it's been a miracle for me. I don't know why/how they work, but they seem to work extremely well to help me sleep through the night, and I've been told by others that it really helps alleviate their depression or anxiety.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

Okay, everyone HELP me please!!!! I take 2 fish oil capsules per day (1,000 mg.) and I have been doing this for over a year and I notice no elevation in my depression.

Should I switch to cod liver oil?

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

Salty

Old 10-17-2006, 04:09 AM   #8
    thedeadrat83
    Inactive
    (male)

thedeadrat83 HB User

okay, here's the deal. cod liver oil and fish oil are slightly different in their nutrient content. cod liver oil comes from the liver and contains omega 3 and vitamins A and D; fish oil comes from the body of the fish and contains no fat soluble vitamins but more omega 3 than cod liver oil.

typical amounts of EPA and DHA in cod liver oil and fish oil (1000mg strength capsules for both):-

1) cod liver oil: EPA- 110mg, DHA- 100mg
    2) fish oil: EPA- 180mg, DHA- 120mg

as you can see the ratio of EPA to DHA in fish oil is much higher than in cod liver oil. more recent research into the role of Omega 3 in mood disorders has shown EPA to be the more beneficial type of Omega 3. DHA is found in brain cell membranes and so helps keep their structural integrity, but EPA actually helps to improve nerve impulses from one brain cell to another (neuron polarity). as a result fish oil is more beneficial for depression than cod liver oil. infact, with some people who have more serious depression the DHA content can infact aggrevate their depression and so for such people choosing a fish oil with a high EPA content and a very low DHA content is the only choice available. Dr Logan in 2004 is a leading researcher in this area. i'd strongly recommend looking into his findings.

so as an answer to your question salty, if your depression has been resistant to that dosage then it may be that you either need to: i) increase your dosage (2000mg isn't a huge amount each day and will not yield that much EPA, especially if you consider that the effect may be negated to an extent by the DHA content), or ii) use a high EPA and low DHA fish oil. unfortunately there is very little on the market in regards to the latter, but genuine health do sell a product called "O3mega + joy".

alex.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wow, thank you so much alex, I can't tell you how long I have wanted someone to straighten that out for me!

May I ask how many capsules you would take if you were I and you have never noticed a differerence?

Salty

Old 10-17-2006, 11:31 AM   #10
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex, i found id Systemô enteric-coated triple fish oil (from anchovy and sardines) 1,000mg
    EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) 500mg
    DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) 25mg
    In a base of natural Vitamin E.

made by GreensPlus, what do you think?

Thanks,

Salty

Old 10-19-2006, 03:29 AM   #11
    thedeadrat83
    Inactive
    (male)

thedeadrat83 HB User

sounds perfect dude. very similar to the genuine health product. good balance of EPA to DHA for your problem.

alex.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #12
    javyn
    Inactive
    (male)

javyn HB User

I think the number you want to go for is 1,000mg of EPA/DHA daily. I got some Country Life Omega 3 (like I mentioned in the other Omega 3 thread), 1,000mg EPA and 150 DHA per 2 capsules. Also has 67% daily value of Vitamin E, which I supposedly good to take with fish oil.

Closed Thread