It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• iron absorbabilty in spirulina.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #1
    ratboy83
    Inactive
    (male)

ratboy83 HB User
    iron absorbabilty in spirulina.

i was reading up about a iron product called spa-tone. although it only contains 36% of the RDA for iron it claimed on the box that this amount was sufficient to furnish a day's supply of iron as the type of iron is highly absorbable and the RDA for iron is based on the typical absorbability of iron from food. this makes sense.
    my question is this. i buy spirulina for its iron content. its also has iron in a very absorbable form due to the way the iron is bound to special compounds in the spirulina algae and due to that fact that spirulina is very easily digested anyway due to it lacking a cell wall. one tea spoon (3.5 grams) contains 5.6mg of iron (20% the RDA). since i am a guy though the RDA is only 10mg for iron, not the 14.8mg for women, so that really equates to over 50% the RDA of iron for me. so working on the logic that applies to spa-tone, is it safe to assume that this will furnish me with all the iron i need for one day? i don't really eat that much meat as i can't really afford it and have worked out that spirulina works out a more economical way of getting iron, besides being an excellent source of the rare fatty acid GLA complete with all co-factors and also beta-carotene, chromium and phyochemicals. if i could get away with just having one tea spoon a day rather than two then it be even better. do people agree that the amount of spirulina i am taking would be enough?

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 05-15-2006 at 10:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User
    Re: iron absorbabilty in spirulina.

Im not sure why your concerned about Iron unless you had a blood test and it was low and even then i'd take very little amounts.Iron being one of the toughest minerals in the body to excrete/chelate so it builds up quickly to toxic levels. In fact urinating or sweating will not remove it but only by bleeding and a miniscule amount is slough off by the intestines. In fact if levels rise too high you have to donate blood to lower it back down...Thats my take ........

Old 05-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User
    Re: iron absorbabilty in spirulina.

Im not sure why your concerned about Iron unless you had a blood test and it was low and even then i'd take very little amounts.Iron being one of the toughest minerals in the body to excrete/chelate so it builds up quickly to toxic levels. In fact urinating or sweating will not remove it but only by bleeding and a miniscule amount is slough off by the intestines. In fact if levels rise too high you have to donate blood to lower it back down...Thats my take ........

Closed Thread