It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

CCM Calcium (Citrate and Malate) any opinions?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
dianegirl
(female)

dianegirl HB User
Question CCM Calcium (Citrate and Malate) any opinions?

I hope it's ok to post another question about calcium...I posted this on the end of my other post, but then realized it would probably be overlooked.

I will be switching my calcium supplement for sure. I need to supplement with a lot of calcium and Vitamin D because thyroid cancer survivors have a much, much higher incidence of osteoporosis later in life due to the fact that they have to keep the TSH level suppressed so low. I have to keep my TSH under .10, which is super, super low for "normal" people. They have to keep my TSH suppressed because if it raises above that then the cancer usually returns. So apparently this low TSH level is tough on the bones, that's why I have to supplement so much and do weight bearing exercises to build bone mass now in the hopes of minimizing the damage later.

Have any of you heard of CCM Calcium? It is Calcium Citrate and Calcium Malate. I just discovered info on it today, and from what I've been reading it is supposed to be the best of the best for absorption. Any opinions on this?

Thanks!

dianegirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
6foot3
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: CCM Calcium (Citrate and Malate) any opinions?

Dianegirl....yes that is a good combo although you didn't mention the milligrams your taking daily. As far as taking So much calcium do to your Thyroid Cancer well i'm not a doctor so this is just my thought but taking Too much calcium can be bad if over 40. I would think that getting an good absorbable type at a lower dose is safer. Why do i say this....

When we get older our bodies ability to process minerals slows down and calcium is the worst. Our Joints and Arteries become Calcified over the years. Infact our cells despise Calcium as they pump out calcium and sodium and draw in potassium and magnesium. Remember to get enough magnesium to balance so the body will not Calcify if you choose to take alot. Just some info for you to ponder.

later !!

Old 02-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
dianegirl
(female)

dianegirl HB User

6'3"...thanks again for your help. I do appreciate it.

I'm a bit confused now though. I was planning on taking about 600 mg of CCM...two 300 mg tablets per day. Do you think that I should still take that as you advised in my other post? Take one tablet in the AM withOUT chelated magnesium glycinate and then one in the night WITH chelated magnesium glycinate.

I was planning on purchasing this CCM calcium (300 mg tabs) and Chelated Magnesium Glycinate to equal 1000 mg per day. (as you advised in your earlier post)

I eat a lot of dairy. On an average day I have two glasses (8 - 10 ounces) of fat free milk per day, one yogurt, granola bars that have 20% RDA of calcium (1-2 per day) and usually about 1 cup of frozen yogurt at night. So I'm wondering if 600 mg of calcium will be enough?

I keep reading and reading health articles and seem to get conflicting info...I hate that. I do appreciate your help, you sure seem to know what you are talking about. I have asked my doctor about this, but she admits she doesn't know much about supplements, advises me to get the RDA, but I know that isn't always enough.

Thanks.

dianegirl

Old 02-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
6foot3
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianegirl View Post

I was planning on purchasing this CCM calcium (300 mg tabs) and Chelated Magnesium Glycinate to equal 1000 mg per day. (as you advised in your earlier post)
I think the above amounts of 1,000 Magnesium to 600 Calcium is o.k.You also said you are consuming dairy products so this will raise your Calcium levels. Its very hard to get high levels of Magnesium in foods compared to Calcium.
Although more and more research coming out says you need 1 to 1 ratio and some research organizations like Life Extension says you need Magnesium 2 to 1 over Calcium.

Again Calcium is needed in high amounts in our youths and during puberty as we are physically growing so we need that mineral then. But once you hit your mid 20's you will not grow anymore so any excess is deposited in your arteries and joints over the years and by your 40's to 50's this can be a problem. In Osteoporosis its not having enough calcium but keeping it in the bones in the first place. I mean why not take 20,000 mg a day if Calcium would solve it alone.

So 600 mg a day of Calcium Citrate is fine along with Magnesium and along with Vitamin D-3 and or 20 minutes of sunshine a day and eat an alkaline diet (lots of vegetables and fruits) so you'll keep Calcium in the bones and not buffering an acidic PH and you should be fine....

Last edited by 6foot3; 02-15-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
dianegirl
(female)

dianegirl HB User

6'3"...thanks again...you are very knowledgeable and I do appreciate your help!

dianegirl

Closed Thread