It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

Omega 3 questions

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Alazia
(female)

Alazia HB User
Omega 3 questions

Hello, this would be my first post on these forums.
My question is, simply put - Should i be going for EPA or DHA in Omega 3 supplements?
I've read that one should go for a 2:1 ratio of EPA/DHA but would that be better than more DHA than EPA?

I've been looking around and i see some with 800MG EPA / 400MG DHA, 50MG EPA / 550MG DHA, 200MG EPA / 500MG DHA

They also have different amounts of purified fish oil and omega 3 fatty acids 2,126.00MG / 1,480.00MG, 1,000.00MG / 0, 1,000MG / 0

I'm just really confused, theres alot of choices one can make in buying an Omega 3 supplement, not to mention theres alot of different brands one can buy from too, can anyone recommend any good ones?

What started all this was my first Omega 3 supplement buy, I found out that when buying Omega 3 you should get the molecularly distilled kind, and the ones i bought from Sundown didn't have that described anywhere on the bottle or website, which got me alittle worried.

Then i started looking for other products and saw that they all had different amounts of EPA/DHA/Omega3/Fish oil.
Seems to me that there isn't any real solid answers out there to go by, which is what makes this such a hard decision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
6foot3
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Omega 3 questions

Alazia...if you read the Alternatve Medicine threads on Health Boards those people over there swear that its better to get DHA over EPA or Vise versa. But for all my research on this i dont buy that thought. Why...well for starters both DHA and EPA are needed (essential) in the body and do different things apart from each other. Secondly when you consume fish both EPA/DHA in fish are pretty much equal and third is that when you eat an Omega-3 like Flax your body then uses enzymes to Elongate these to BOTH EPA and DHA so that tells me the human body wants both and will create both so for me personally i always take fish oils that have both in closely equal amounts....

Old 03-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Alazia
(female)

Alazia HB User

Thanks for the prompt reply, will look into fish oils that have close to or equal amounts, has anyone tried several different fish oils and found to have a different affect due to manufacturer or region of where the oil comes from?
If so what regions do you recommend?
Also, is there a specific dosage that one should go by?

Last edited by Alazia; 03-03-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
Lenin
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think the usual is close to 2: EPA:HA) because that's the way the fish make it.
My cod liver oil is 554 mg EPA :: 369 DHA per teaspoonful for a ratio of about 1.5.

Since the reason for fish oil/Omega-3 supplementation is the longtime observation that those who ate lots of oily ocean fish had less heart disease.

It seems the DHA confers more protection and that EPA is transformed to a certain degree to DHA, but I think covering all bases by taking it the way the fish makes it makes sense...and it;s cheaperr that way too.

Although ALA (the plant Omega-3) can be converted by the body to both EPA and DHA the conversion is slight and thus one should NOT rely on flax or canola to do the job of fish oil.

Aim for a total of about a gram of EPA + DHA. That's about 5 grams of fish oil...about 4 "horse pills."

Last edited by Lenin; 03-04-2007 at 07:13 AM.

Closed Thread