It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

Ahhh...Chelated Magnesium not "sitting" well with me...any suggestions?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
dianegirl
(female)

dianegirl HB User
Ahhh...Chelated Magnesium not "sitting" well with me...any suggestions?

I've recently started taking Carlson's Chelated Magnesium (magnesium glycinate chelate). I take 800 mg per day. Just today I started having some bad reactions in the bathroom if you know what I mean. Now I'm all for losing a few pounds, but I don't want to have this "condition".

Does anyone know, will my body get used to this? Do you think it's due to the magnesium?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

dianegirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2007, 05:01 AM   #2
music12
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User
Re: Ahhh...Chelated Magnesium not "sitting" well with me...any suggestions?

Diane, did you take the 800 mg. in one dose? If so, that would probably be too much for your system to handle. Also, if you are not used to taking higher doses of mag you might want to start out at a lower dose to make sure of your bowel tolerance. You may not actually need that high a dose.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
dianegirl
(female)

dianegirl HB User

Hi ballady 3...

I took the chelated magnesium in 4 doses throughout the day. I was trying to work up to 1000 mg, but don't think my body will tolerate it. 6'3" had advised me that he thought 1000 mg would be a good amount for me, but I guess my "system" can't handle that! Or maybe I'll cut back and slowly add more every couple of days...not sure what to do really.

Thanks for your reply.

dianegirl

Old 03-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #4
Lenin
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think very few people would ever need to exceed 250 or 500 mg. in their magnesium supplementation...unless he needed a "laxative."

I think chelated magnesium is a waste of money. MgO will do the job perfectly well despite the claims of those who want to sell you something that costs 10 times as much...like the glycinate.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:57 AM   #5
music12
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Hi Diane,

I always think it a good idea to start slow to see what our system can handle. We are all different and have different needs. If we assault our body with too much of something it will definitely let us know. I would listen to your body. More is not always better.

Ballady

Old 03-04-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
music12
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User
Smile Re: Ahhh...Chelated Magnesium not "sitting" well with me...any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
I think very few people would ever need to exceed 250 or 500 mg. in their magnesium supplementation...unless he needed a "laxative."

I think chelated magnesium is a waste of money. MgO will do the job perfectly well despite the claims of those who want to sell you something that costs 10 times as much...like the glycinate.
Lenin,

Mag glycinate chelated is the only type of magnesium my system will tolerate and I think I have pretty much tried them all. Also, higher doses of mag are needed in some situations where it is being depleted by the illness. I don't think "one-size-fits-all".

Old 03-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #7
thylantyr
(male)

thylantyr HB User

I started taking 100 mg of magnesium glycinate for
a few months now. I tried 200 mg and my system can't
tolerate that high dose. I'm now trying again to see if
I can work my up to 200 mg. Not everyone can consume
high doses without a reaction, don't feel bad.

Last edited by thylantyr; 03-05-2007 at 12:39 AM.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
6foot3
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianegirl View Post
6'3" had advised me that he thought 1000 mg would be a good amount for me, but I guess my "system" can't handle that!
Dianegirl...I had to do back and re-read my posts to you as to why i recommended you take 500 mg twice a day. So let me Appologize to you as i should have known better than to tell someone to start out that amount of Magnesium and not have intestinal problems. I forget sometimes because i take a 1000 mg a day and never have any problems but what the others said to you is correct and start out low and work your way up. If you still cannot tolerate then take what nature intended for us to get our magnesium and thats by food sources. Again i'm sorry about that .....

Old 03-09-2007, 07:54 AM   #9
Cowspots
(female)

Cowspots HB User

What is MgO?

Cowspots

Old 03-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #10
dianegirl
(female)

dianegirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3 View Post
Dianegirl...I had to do back and re-read my posts to you as to why i recommended you take 500 mg twice a day. So let me Appologize to you as i should have known better than to tell someone to start out that amount of Magnesium and not have intestinal problems. I forget sometimes because i take a 1000 mg a day and never have any problems but what the others said to you is correct and start out low and work your way up. If you still cannot tolerate then take what nature intended for us to get our magnesium and thats by food sources. Again i'm sorry about that .....
6'3"...don't worry about it...I lost 2 pounds! LOL. I cut back to 400 mg per day and am just fine with that...I'll wait a while and try to work up a bit. Thanks again for your help.

dianegirl

Last edited by dianegirl; 03-09-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:08 AM   #11
Concerned Male
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowspots View Post
What is MgO?

Cowspots
Magnesium Oxide.

I've heard a lot of non biased reports about how Magnesium Citrate is more absorbable than Magnesium Oxide, and Citrate isn't expensive. It doesn't cost much more than Oxide.

Closed Thread