It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Re: Serotonin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
    dannic1
    Veteran
    (female)

dannic1 HB User
    Re: Serotonin

Does anyone know of any natural vitamins and/or supplements that are safe to take to increase your serotonin naturally?

danni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
    akazie
    (female)

akazie HB User

Do you suffer from depression?

5-HTP (5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan) increase serotonin levels but I would probably recommend taking St. John's Wort or SAM-e and exercise if you suffer from mild to moderate depression, if your depression is worse, it is probably a good idea to see a doctor.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

I agree with Akazie's recommendations and also high dose Fish Oils help in Serotonin levels....

Old 04-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
    dancing
    (female)

dancing HB User
    St. John's Wort

Quote:
    Originally Posted by akazie;2***927
    Do you suffer from depression?

5-HTP (5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan) increase serotonin levels but I would probably recommend taking St. John's Wort or SAM-e and exercise if you suffer from mild to moderate depression, if your depression is worse, it is probably a good idea to see a doctor.
    What dosage do you recommend for St. John's Wort? Also, are there any side effects?

Thank you

Old 04-12-2007, 02:19 AM   #5
    akazie
    (female)

akazie HB User
    Re: St. John's Wort

The command dosage is 200 to 1000 mg. of 0.3% standardized hypericin content per day. Start at the lower dosage and work up slowly. If you experience any side affects, stop taking it. It does increase photo-sensitivity so it is a good idea to try to avoid sunlight and tanning booths, apply a sunblock when you do have to be in sunlight. Good luck and remember to exercise as well even if it is just a half an hour walk everyday.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
    Hardy09
    (male)

Hardy09 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancing View Post
    What dosage do you recommend for St. John's Wort? Also, are there any side effects?
    Thank you
    St. John's interferes with the effectiveness of many prescription drugs, so you might want to check that out if you are taking drugs. SAM-e, has been extensively tested in Europe, where it is only available by prescription, and has a very good safety and health record. It is also known to help with joint problems. I have read reports from MDs who claim that SAM-e works better than Prosac for their patients, and has fewer side effects. It's expensive, but worth it. I take the type that you take on an empty stomach.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
    dancing
    (female)

dancing HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by akazie View Post
    The command dosage is 200 to 1000 mg. of 0.3% standardized hypericin content per day. Start at the lower dosage and work up slowly. If you experience any side affects, stop taking it. It does increase photo-sensitivity so it is a good idea to try to avoid sunlight and tanning booths, apply a sunblock when you do have to be in sunlight. Good luck and remember to exercise as well even if it is just a half an hour walk everyday.
    Thanks you! My husband's taking it St. John's, and from your info, I suggested he back off and start slowly. He does weights and walks daily, so hopefully he's doing everything right at the moment.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
    dancing
    (female)

dancing HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hardy09 View Post
    St. John's interferes with the effectiveness of many prescription drugs, so you might want to check that out if you are taking drugs. SAM-e, has been extensively tested in Europe, where it is only available by prescription, and has a very good safety and health record. It is also known to help with joint problems. I have read reports from MDs who claim that SAM-e works better than Prosac for their patients, and has fewer side effects. It's expensive, but worth it. I take the type that you take on an empty stomach.
    Thanks! dh doesn't take any meds, so not a problem. I told him about SAM-e, and if he decides to try it, can it be purchased here without a prescription?

Closed Thread