It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

FDA to regulate Vitamins/herbal/dietary supplemntary

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
furtiva
(female)

furtiva HB User
FDA to regulate Vitamins/herbal/dietary supplemntary

I came across recently of a draft from the FDA that is considering regualting the production, destrbution and selling of vitamins, minerals, daily/diet supplements and everything that falls under alternative/herbal mind and body medicine/practices.

Personally I think it's a good thing since it will reassure that whatever we;re gone buy it's safe for consumption and must have proven to them (FDA) that is not harmful, or which doses are dangerous.

Does anyone know when is this taking place and how is it going to affect bying vitamins in the future?

My source was a public electronic group and they circulated it as a draft to their members without much information on the practical consequences or the dates when it is expected to be approved if ever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
cvoor
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User
Re: FDA to regulate Vitamins/herbal/dietary supplemntary

Wow, I'd like to know myself. I'm taking GNC womens ultra mega, which has 100% of the RDA for some nutrietns, but over the RDA for others. Will I still be able to purchase this, or only Centrum ??

Old 04-11-2007, 04:23 AM   #3
music12
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

FDA involvement in regulating alternative type supplements scares the wits out of me!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:49 AM   #4
twiceblessed
Senior Veteran
(female)

twiceblessed HB User
Lightbulb Re: FDA to regulate Vitamins/herbal/dietary supplemntary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvoor View Post
Wow, I'd like to know myself. I'm taking GNC womens ultra mega, which has 100% of the RDA for some nutrietns, but over the RDA for others. Will I still be able to purchase this, or only Centrum ??
If they regulate the GNC version, they'd be regulating Centrum too!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
twiceblessed
Senior Veteran
(female)

twiceblessed HB User
Thumbs down Re: FDA to regulate Vitamins/herbal/dietary supplemntary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballady3 View Post
FDA involvement in regulating alternative type supplements scares the wits out of me!

I'm with you! They are already so gung-ho at the moment to save the world and prevent things that have a 0.012% chance of hurting someone that they seem to have forgotten the defininition of a basic word - "COINCIDENCE" ?!?!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
HipsterDoofus
(male)

HipsterDoofus HB User

This is an urban myth that's been circulating for years on the electronic groups. The FDA is prohibited by law from regulating dietary supplements. They simply have no authority to do so. Congress passed the law for just that reason, to preserve the rights of consumers to choose for themselves.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
furtiva
(female)

furtiva HB User

Hi Hipster,

Thanks alot for the info. I researched it further and it is exactly as you say: Congress passesd the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act in October 1994, and it was signed into law by President Clinton. Before this time, dietary supplements were subject to the same regulatory requirements as were other foods.

As of than, dietary supplements do not need approval from FDA before they are marketed, as long as they have proven not to be harmful and not to be selled as a cure/treatment for a specific disease.

This draft I was looking at (I've attached the link, hopefully moderators will allow it) is looking for comments from the industry in regards of usage of alternative medicine, and it is dated December, 2006. I am not surprised that FDA, regardless of its motivation being it safety or money generated by the industry or insurance companies, will update its regulations.

These drafts for comments are open to the public and can be found at the official site of FDA under Dockets Management.

Here is the link: [url]http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/DOCKETS/98fr/06d-0480-gld0001.pdf[/url]

Last edited by furtiva; 04-11-2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: add source:moderator please allow the link to this document!

Old 04-12-2007, 11:09 PM   #8
Concerned Male
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

I don't really know if it's a myth though. I've been hearing about a possible regulation in a bunch of different magazines within the past year. It sounds like it could very well happen.

Closed Thread