It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• High Rx Vitamin D

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User
    High Rx Vitamin D

I posted earlier that my Vitamin D level is below 20 (32-100) and I am having so much bone/muscle/joint pain.

I have just picked up my Vitamin D Rx and it is for 50,000IU (that's not a typo and it's one pill) and I need to take it twice a week for two weeks and then once a week for the next 3 months! Has anyone else taken this high a dose?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 03:32 AM   #2
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
    Re: High Rx Vitamin D

The large dosage seems to be standard practice these days. Its not harmful - just make sure you take some vitA along with it. While the toxicity of large doses of vitD is still in debate, taking vitA will help with any concerns.

My vit D was at 13 (25-80) when it was first tested. Doc has me on 2000IU of vitD daily, plus 15 minutes of sunshine each day without sunscreen (arms and legs bare). In a month my D went up to 28, so its working. This, however, is a very conservative approach by conventional medical standards.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:52 AM   #3
    jbbrocky
    Veteran
    (male)

jbbrocky HB User

[

And I thought my measly 1000 IU/ day was overload...wow

Last edited by jbbrocky; 10-03-2007 at 09:55 AM.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I just got started on 50,0000iu D3 once a week and will get my labs redone in a month. I also have been taking os cal with D3 but I was still low. Your doctor should monitor your labs every few months till he gets you titrated. If theres a change in your sun exposure that could also affect your levels. I don't get much sun so say you got a landscaping job and got lots of sun everyday you may not need as much.

My doctor has his whole family on D3 and himself, he said his mood improved after a few months of him taking it, but its suppose to be good for the bones, colon, heart, and muscle spasms.

My doctor also said he may double my dose after a month, as in Mi winter is coming. I want my levels to be at 75-100, I'm at 20 now.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

Some doctors recommend prescription vitamin D, which is a synthetic form, and usually D2. It's the not best choice if you are deficient, as you get a lot of highs and lows (taking 50K IU once or twice a week isn't how the body normally gets vitamin D).

I'd also like to mention that many doctors are clueless regarding vitamin D. My own doctor just stated outright that she didn't know what I should take, or for how long, or even what level is optimal.

A better way is probably D3, in softgel form (includes fats). Dry vitamin D isn't absorbed so well, and the form in most multivitamins is close to useless. My vitamin D level was at 22, and 2 months later went up to 42. I took 4000IU of Carlson's vitamin D, found in most vitamin stores. Now I'm at 2000IU. The only real danger of high intake of vitamin D is that calcium might be absorbed at too great a level, causing calcification and bad things like that. But if you get regular blood tests this shouldn't be a problem.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
    bluerose50
    (female)

bluerose50 HB User

My multivitamin previously had 400 IU of vitamin D in it and when I purchased a new bottle I noted they have changed it to 1000 IU. The company actually changed the formula of the multi quite a bit; I was concerned over the change, but notice that a lot of the companies are doing this lately. I guess it's all due to new research, hope they are correct in this.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

Bluerose, I have heard from 2 doctors now that the recommendation has changed to 1000IU daily once Vitamin D levels are where they should be. I guess with everyone using sunscreen these days, there are less people getting enough Vitamin D as you have to go without the sunscreen to get the effects from the sun. I went for hours without sunscreen and still have a huge deficiency.....just hope the Rx helps.

Closed Thread