It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Magnesium Malate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
    bluerose50
    (female)

bluerose50 HB User
    Magnesium Malate

I'm thinking about taking Magnesium Malate made by Source Naturals, as I have read that it will help with FM type symptoms, but I have a few questions. It states on the bottle, Magnesium (as magnesium malate) 433mg and Malic acid (as magnesium malate and malic acid) 2.5g; what are they meaning? What exactly is magnesium malate? and how is the malic acid a part of it? Somehow I'm not understanding this. Maybe someone could explain, because I thought the malic acid was from apples and something totally separate from magnesium.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User
    Re: Magnesium Malate

It is a chelated mineral, meaning they chelate magnesium with malic acid. When it is absorbed into your body, it breaks down into magnesium and malic acid.

They do this to help magnesium absorb in your body, I believe. They also need to include more of the 'chelated' ingredient, or malic acid, than magnesium for these sorts of supplements.

Other forms of chelated magnesium include magnesium glycinate, magnesium orotate, magnesium taurate, etc. Just avoid magnesium oxide and probably citrate too... they don't absorb very well. For FM symptoms, you are right in trying the malate form. Hope this info is helpful.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
    bluerose50
    (female)

bluerose50 HB User

Thank you "namelessme" for responding, as this magnesium subject always seems to confuse me. I have been taking magnesium oxide for quite a while and don't know how much I am really getting, due to the things I've read about it being the least desireable. If I'm going to bother taking something, I really want to take the best I can find. There are so many articles and information about the different forms of magnesium that it can become confusing. I contacted Pharmavite about the oxide form I have been taking from them and they claim that it is a very good form to take. How are we to know? I notice that magnesium oxide is also the form of choice in most all multivitamin/mineral products out there.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

Magnesium oxide is in most multivitamins because it is the cheapest form for them to put in their supplement. The manufacturers don't expect consumers to know any difference.

I've read that 4% of mag oxide is absorbed as actual magnesium. This value may vary by the person's digestion, but the simple fact it's also used as a laxative should tell you enough.

I could post various articles and links to magnesium absorption rates, but I don't think it's allowed here. But, I strongly suggest avoiding the oxide form. It really should be illegal for supplement suppliers to even include it in their vitamins, as it's very misleading. When they list 100% RDA of magnesium oxide, it probably supplies around 4% of the RDA for actual magnesium.

I personally use magnesium glycinate (albion chelated) and magnesium orotate, but magnesium malate is good too, especially for muscle problems and such. Try the source naturals and see how it goes. You can mix and match types, if the malate form doesn't seem to help. Just avoid mag oxide, and probably citrate too, unless you are constipated.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
    bluerose50
    (female)

bluerose50 HB User

Thanks for the info, I think I'll try the magnesium malate and see how it goes. I've been taking Nature Made products, but they don't seem to have anything other than the oxide form, so I'll give Source Naturals a try.

Closed Thread