It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Fish Oil (Omega 3)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
    MariaBB
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MariaBB HB User
    Fish Oil (Omega 3)

I began taking Omega 3 fish oil capulets about a week ago. I read in the Depression Board above that fish oil can help with mood and alleviate depression. So far I feel great.

What are some of the other benefits of taking fish oil?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Fish Oil (Omega 3)

Fish Oil is mainly taken to lower cholesterol and to increase brain health. Im not kissing- it doesnt make you smarter, but it does help supply essential fatty acids to the brain. Make sure you are taking a good quality fish oil, perferably one which says pharmaceutical grade on it- and that you are keeping it in a cool, dry place...refrigerated can be best. Also make sure that the fish oil you buy is heavy metal FREE- it should say so on the bottle....

Old 04-11-2008, 02:57 AM   #3
    shadowknight
    (male)

shadowknight HB User

Hi Maria. Thats not an established fact, atleast yet. Some research done shows that it can indeed help in dealing with depression and also anxiety. But its not the FishOil which helps here. Its the Omega 3 fatty acids contained within it. I recently finished doing a course of it. And a herbalist had recommended me to use it.

As far as what I have learnt from him, it helps support brain function. Blood pressure. And helps prevent heart problems.

It feels good to know you are feeling great

Regards,
    S.K.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MariaBB View Post
    I began taking Omega 3 fish oil capulets about a week ago. I read in the Depression Board above that fish oil can help with mood and alleviate depression. So far I feel great.

What are some of the other benefits of taking fish oil?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
    Texanne
    (female)

Texanne HB User

Quite a bit of research has shown a mood stabilizing effect for people being treated for bipolar disorders. I believe that the omega acids are natural anti-inflammatories, and so have a minor blood thinning effect; this is part of what helps with heart and blood pressure issues.

I have been taking it consistently for nearly ten years now (with a few lapses here and there) and can't say anything earth-shattering about it. I'm in my early '40s and really healthy, always struggling with weight, but very active and energetic usually. I give credit to exercise for my energy. I'm just banking on having better health in my old age, which is what I see from elderly people I know who eat sardines and salmon, tuna, etc... I noticed this years ago when I worked as an admissions clerk in a nursing home, and with my dad and an uncle, who are in their '70's and look great and act pretty spunky...they both eat sardines ~ Yuck! Since I had noticed the fish effect (it's not like we eat a huge amount of fish here in Texas) and started seeing the research on fish oil, I just couldn't resist taking it in pill form since I tried sardines and they are gross! I like fried salmon patties, but I'm thinking that is not what the Inuits are eating....thus fish oil pills!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
    vic77
    (female)

vic77 HB User

One thing about the Omega oils people tend to foregt is that you need to take them in the correct ratio. If You are taking omega 3 and not 6 or 9 you may be causing more problems than you are helping. There are several supplements that contain all the omega oils in the correct ratios; just make sure the bottle is labeled with 3, 6 and 9.

I have heard also that if taken in the correct ration, the omega oils can help with mental illness. Someone suggested I try this with my son who has Schizophrenia, kind of scared to take that big of a step right now.

Vic

Old 04-12-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
    Texanne
    (female)

Texanne HB User

One reason we don't tend to supplement Omega 6 & 9 is because most western diets contain these fats naturally. Since we don't eat fish regularly (3+ times per week), we need the Omega 3 supplements for maximum health. The Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University is a great research resource for anyone looking to find clinical research about any supplements or micronutrients.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
    Nenu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nenu HB User

Omega 3 is great stuff. I have been taking the recommended 1 tsp daily for several months now. I asked my nutritionist about 6&9 and he said not to go there in my case, just stick with the 3.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
    LaurieBelle
    (female)

LaurieBelle HB User

I have been taking fish oil supplements for about a month now, and I have noticed it has helped my blood pressure to stay down in the normal range, helped me to be more calm, and helped me to sleep much better. One thing I have noticed that is a little weird is I have had the strangest, most vivid dreams since I started taking it. Maybe that is just part of having such good, deep sleep. Overall, I think it is a great addition to anyone's diet.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #9
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Hey Vic, it might help your son but what most don't understand is that natural supplements like fish oil are to nourish/heal... they do not act like drugs and suppress symptoms and it takes several months to achieve results.

When people assume that supplements are like the drugs, they usually try to substitute the supplements in place of the drug, thus abruptly discontinuing and they then risk the intense rebound from the drug when the drug is discontinued. Intense withdrawals can also occur. Psych drugs are ones that must be very slowly discontinued and even trying to substitute one for another in the same class might not avoid withdrawal and rebound since all have different targeted receptors within the same system.

It is better to introduce and use the supplements while not changing the drug use.....as time goes on, small reductions/weaning of the drug might be possible as the nutrients start to finally do their job and the person starts to feel better.

With someone that has something like schizophrenia, all must be done with close monitoring by doctor and in a very slow/safe fashion. I've heard many people have benefited from fish oil when it comes to mental illness in different ways, some can completely get off meds or some just find they need less.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
    susiebythesea
    (female)

susiebythesea HB User

Fish Oils are a wonderful supplement to take. They help with cardiovascular function and help with keep joints healthy. I found it very beneficial to prevent migranes. If I take 2 a day no problems, if I forget or run out after a week or so they come back. Also great for overall cell health and your brain needs these good fats.

Closed Thread