It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• flax seed advice needed please...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
    delia
    (female)

delia HB User
    Question flax seed advice needed please...

Hi,
    I want to take flax seed oil or ground for the health benefits - seems easier to take the capsule. I've read that people are taking it to gain weight. I gain easily and I do not want weight gain. Is weight gain a general side effect of flax seed? I exercise & try to eat right, but the minute I go off my regular regimen, I gain. I'm not at my perfect weight as it is (could stand to lose 10 lbs.)

Also, is the golden any healthier than the brown?

Thanks !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
    FatNemesis
    Inactive
    (female)

FatNemesis HB User
    Re: flax seed advice needed please...

I too have read that flax seed can cause a weight gain. Flax seed contains essential fatty acids, but these are good fats that are necessary to the body in order to produce hormones and sustain the body's metabolic rate. Flax seeds are loaded with ALA, an omega-3 fat that is the precursor to the form of omega-3 found in fish oils (EPA). Though some of the characteristics of flax seed may cause some to speculate that it causes weight gain, there are other benefits to them. Flax seeds are very low in Cholesterol and Sodium. They are also a good source of Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Thiamin and Manganese
    From what I understand of flax seed, it is not a goal-specific nutrient, meaning whether you are trying to lose weight/gain weight/gain muscle, etc, flax seed will not have an extreme effect. It’s not taken to help gain or help lose weight, it’s just good for you. If you were to stay on the plan you’re on right now, and add flax seed in for all of the benefits it provides, I wouldn’t suspect you’d have any weight gain issues to contend with solely because of your use of flax seed.

In my research, I did discover than the oil version is more beneficial than the capsule version (you have to take a lot more capsules to get the benefits of one dose of oil). To me, I think the oil has a nutty kind of flavor, and I usually mix it with a smoothie to take it.

Good luck finding what works for you!

Closed Thread