It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Could You Please Tell Me about Quercetin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
    Could You Please Tell Me about Quercetin?

Hi. I have heard good things about this...I bought the citrus kind w/bromelain and rutin.

Could you please tell me what you know about it?

I saw some posts on the allergy boards (that it helps), but since I can only post on one board about it, I thought this one would be best.

Thank you so much for your help,

Salty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
    katolb90
    (female)

katolb90 HB User
    Re: Could You Please Tell Me about Quercetin?

Yeah, it will help. I wouldn't take it if you have any type of thyroid problem or autoimmune though. Also it didn't pass an Ames Test for carcinogins. I'm not sure about the significance of this. (whether it was one test or many I don't remember). You should do some research on it first. Most reports are very favorable and it did help me when I took it.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

katolb90, i am sick with fever, body aches and chills again...the flu...i started taking a small amount of l-tyrosine around the same time i got sick as well as the quercetin.

i have stopped the l-tyrosine...you have me worried about the quercetin...isn't it just made from the skins of fruit? how would it affect my thyroid? and i thought it boosts the immune system?

this is the 2nd flu i've had this winter...i haven't been able to answer any of my other posts because i feel so lousy, but i had to answer this in case the quercetin has something to do with me getting sick.

i haven't been able to be on the computer, i feel so ill.

i'm scared to take it now...i don't understand, i thought it just boosts vit. C?

please write back...i wish others would too...i'm so tired of getting sick...i thought the quercetin would help.

what did it help you with allergies? it hasn't done anything for me...i thought when i first starting taking it that it was keeping me from getting sick because i have been to the dentist several times and have been around a few people who had been sick, but then i got the flu again and it's been bad...worst i can remember and i just had it not too long ago.

i got the quercetin to help my immune system...i didn't think it could be harmful.

if it messes with my thyroid at all, i don't want to take it.

Hope to hear back from you...thank you for posting,
    Salty

Old 01-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
    katolb90
    (female)

katolb90 HB User

What are you taking L-Tyrosine for?

Quercetin is a flavonoid and I read that if you have thyroid problems (particularly hypothyroid or hashimotos thyroiditis) then you should not take flavonoids including but not limited to bioflavonoids that are found in some vitamin C products. Many herbs and supplements are in the flavonoid family including green tea. If you don't have a thyroid problem then it shouldn't effect your thyroid.

I was taking quercetin for sinus congestion and allergy like symptoms.

Anything that effects the immune system like quercetin will help you or it could backfire and cause you to be sick. For instance, whenever I've tried vitamin C and/or Zinc they always make me feel sinusy or like I'm coming down with something. My suspicion is that I have an overactive immune system due to having an autoimmue problem. If you do have a thyroid problem, things that you take into your body may not have the same effect as a healthy person. I am constantly dealing with that problem. I get side effects from stuff that most people don't get side effects from.

Definitely don't take any more quercetin. If you have a lot of recurrent colds/flu you very well could have a thyroid problem.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katolb90 View Post
    What are you taking L-Tyrosine for?

Quercetin is a flavonoid and I read that if you have thyroid problems (particularly hypothyroid or hashimotos thyroiditis) then you should not take flavonoids including but not limited to bioflavonoids that are found in some vitamin C products. Many herbs and supplements are in the flavonoid family including green tea. If you don't have a thyroid problem then it shouldn't effect your thyroid.
    Wow...I was NOT aware of this. I am hypo (taking 88mcg of Levoxyl). But I've been taking a 1000mg Vit. C supplement (Ester-C) daily...is this affecting my thyroid or my thyroid medication in any way? Should I stop taking the Vit C? Can you be more specific on which other supplements/herbs I should steer clear of? Thank you!

Linda

Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
    katolb90
    (female)

katolb90 HB User

I didn't mean to imply that vitamin C and zinc are bad for your thyroid. I just can't take them because they cause my immune system to overreact. That's just me and my body. Actually I spoke with a naturalist after I was diagnosed with hashimoto's thyroiditis (I'm not on any meds) and she told me that vitamin C and zinc were good for my thyroid problem. However, they both give me nasaly sinus symptoms so I don't take them as separate supplements anymore (I only take them as part of a multi-vitamin).

On the flip side of that, vitamin C does seem to help me sleep better and it lowers my blood pressure. So I really would love to know why I get the congestion, thick head feeling so that I can start taking it again. I may try taking the regular vitamin C instead of the Ester C (which is stronger) and see if I can tolerate that. What I would suggest is checking to see if the vitamin C you are taking has bioflavonoids in it and if possible do a comparison of your TSH lab results while on vitamin C with bioflavonoids and then try taking just plain vit C without bioflavonoids and check your TSH again in a couple of months. Of course since you are on meds I don't know if that would be a valid test.

As far as supplements that contain flavonoids, I went through the PDR for supplements I have at home and came up with a list of anything that had flavonoids in it. Keep in mind I have no idea how much is too much when it comes to flavonoids. I don't have the list with me. I'll check it tonight at home. What I can remember is rutin, quercetin, green tea, hawthorn berry, hesperidin, grape seed extract, flaxseed. I've read negative things about flavonoids effect on thyroid in two separate hypothyroid books so I'm thinking it may be true. Also before I became 'informed', I took about a vitamin c supplement that had 500mg of bioflavonoids twice a day and I stayed on the verge of a panic attack for about a week before I figured out what was wrong. My hair was really soft and bouncy though. Unbelievably great for the hair. LOL. Also there is a group of foods you should stay away from, but if you've been on the thyroid board then you probably know about them.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
    katolb90
    (female)

katolb90 HB User

Other flavonoid (in addition to the ones I mentioned previously) containing compounds found in multi vitamins and other supplements include chaste tree, fenugreek, ginkgo biloba, hops, horsetail, lemon balm, licorice, milk thistle, passionflower, peppermint, rhodiola, scullcap, stevia, stinging nettle, st johns wort, echinacea, black currant, aloe, cayenne, uva ursi. Also feverfew, oats, oregano, onions, rooibos, sage, saw palmetto, spinach, bilberry, blessed thistle, bugleweed, celery, thyme, yarrow and yellow dock.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Hmmm....thanks for the list. There are several things I have noticed on the list, that I do consume on a regular basis. Those being - flaxseed (ground), oats, peppermint, oregano, and thyme. The flaxseed (I sprinke ground flaxseed on my yogurt) and oats (oatmeal & other cereals) I eat almost daily...I wonder if that could be a problem?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
    katolb90
    (female)

katolb90 HB User

I think everyone is different. You may or may not be effected by any particular flavonoid. I figure there's something to the story cause I can't tolerate green tea, echinacea, st johns wort, oats, grapeseed and a few other things in that list. I'm on the fence with flaxseed cause I can't tolerate the seeds, but the oil really seems to help my degenerative disc problems in my neck. I would imagine the amount you're taking in also matters.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
    briancogs888
    Inactive
    (male)

briancogs888 HB User

Realize that there are thousands of phytonutrients that play a role in our health, and we only know a little about a little. Your best bet, is to take an organic concentrated fruits and vegetables supplement, which will probably contain a good dose of quercetin, among other important phytonutrients.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

katolb90, i'm off the quercetin and the l-tyrosine. I was taking the l-tyrosine to help with anxiety and depression, but i got scared of it so i went off it.

I think the quercetin back-fired on me. I'm glad I have this board. I went off that immediately after i read about it here.

I used to love green tea...i just made some (decaf)...i always use decaf and this time my heart was skipping beats. I don't get it...i think it's so good for me, but the heart thing scares me.

I'm getting ready to have an operation next week and I don't think I'm anxious about it, but maybe i am and don't know it. Maybe that's why my heart is doing that.

I don't have a thyroid problem, but do get recurring colds/flu.

I miss the decaf green tea. Any ideas from anyone about that?

I have also been taking milk thistle on and off for years to help the liver. I'm wondering if i have a reaction to the flavonoids.

My hair is thinning very badly and has been for months. The only major difference is i've been taking 50,000 iu of vit. d.

My gyn put me on it for 24 weeks. Fortunately i only have a few more weeks to go. I was 35 on a scale from 0-100.

I get body aches the next day after taking it. My hair started thinning around the same time and nothing I do helps. It really gets to me. I am going to post about it.

Reading online about it doesn't help because it says people go on vit.d for hair thinning. Both my drs say it doesn't have anything to do with hair thinning.

All i know is it's upsetting to see my hair everywhere.

Thank you for writing,
    Salty

Last edited by salty; 02-19-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added

Closed Thread