It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• B Complex w/iron & folic acid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
    delia
    (female)

delia HB User
    Question B Complex w/iron & folic acid

Hi,
    can anyone recommend a good brand of B Complex w/Iron that also contains folic acid? if you only know of a good b complex without iron that's fine too. I was going to purchase one by Nature's plus, but it didn't have folic acid & didn't look like it had a lot of the Bs for being a 'complex'.

any adivice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: B Complex w/iron & folic acid

Hi delia - are you very depleted in the B vitamins, iron and folic acid?

All the B vitamins are important but B12 is i think one of the more important and often people have found they are low in this. If you are low in B12 then it's harder to absorb folic acid. This is why most multi B vitamins already contain folic acid. Most brands of multi B's will work, no matter what the brand. I've taken the Cenovis brand. Natures Plus is just as good. Check the dosage as it may vary from brand to brand.

If on the other hand your B12 is very low and it's taking forever to rise, then you may wish to take a sublingual B12 tablet daily as it's more readily absorbable.

If your ferritin is low or you are bordering anemia, then you would be best to take an iron supplement containing vitamin C all on it's own. Taking iron in, lets say a multi vitamin, does not give sufficient iron. If your ferritin levels are reasonably high then the iron in a multivitamin might be enough.

The problem is that a lot of doctors don't care if your B12 and ferritin are sitting at the low end of the lab range and will tell you your levels are fine, rather than telling you where you should aim to be at for optimum health.

With any vitamin supplementation, it's advisable to get tested for a deficiency prior to supplementing. Once you are supplementing then get retested to see how your levels are going. While you are at it, get your Vitamin D checked as too many people are low in that and you ought to be at the higher end of the scale.

Closed Thread