It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Iron supplements and bruises

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
    tj707
    (female)

tj707 HB User
    Thumbs down Iron supplements and bruises

I read you all talking about how irons supplements cure or help stop bruises, but I have the opposite. When I take iron supplements I get bruises, and I would get profuse nosebleeds. I also get bruises when I take vitamins. Doctors usually don't believe it, and they insist that I take the iron supplements because I am anemic. Sometimes they say it is possible, but I think it is to pacify me, and they can't explain it. A doctor of Chinese medicine said it could be that the supplements are over-stimulating my system and causing pressure somehow, so it causes the bruises. I asked on the Mayo Clinic website, but I never got an answer. Anybody ever had this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Iron supplements and bruises

I've never heard of this occuring to anybody. Bruising can be a sign of other things from memory. I do recall reading something about kidney function and bruising too.

Hormone imbalance like testosterone deficiency can cause thinning of the skin and this can lead to bruising showing up easier too.

Do you know what your ferritin is? If you are in the anemic area you do need a build up of iron stores. If you are sure it's from your iron supplements then maybe speaking to a chemist might help. They are often more clued in that gp's.

Why don't you try posting on the Anemia section of the boards. I'm sure someone there might be able to shed some light on your situation.

Hope you get some answers soon

Old 05-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
    tj707
    (female)

tj707 HB User

Yes, I guess it's rare, but apparently it runs in the family, because my mother and brother both can't take iron. When my mother found out I was taking iron, and I had the nosebleeds, I got the biggest scolding of my life.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

If it runs in your family then it's a definite condition, maybe something to do with the iron or an added ingredient to the iron? I'd speak to a chemist or your doctor. I'd also post on the Anemia board as there are a few very cluey people there on iron issues. Sorry i can't help you out much, but knowing it runs in your family is a start and you will likely need to get your iron in another form eg: injection or intravenous (sp?). Good luck

Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
    tj707
    (female)

tj707 HB User

Yeah, we've looked at different types of iron and bases/additives, etc..., but it all points to the iron. Long ago an old fashioned no nonsense doc told me if the iron makes me sick, then don't take it. It was probably good advice. Maybe one day some researchers will take interest in this.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:36 AM   #6
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The problem is, if your iron stores are low or non existent, this will lead to other issues developing and you wouldn't want that. If other members of your family have this same issue, how are they dealing with keeping decen't iron stores within their system. Iron stores don't just affect hair and energy, they are also necessary for our muscles, bone marrow, thyroid, transporting oxygen through our body and lots more. I know some people go to hospital and get it done intravenously but i'm not sure whether you would still get the bruising.

Have you ever found out why your ferritin is low? Maybe if you find out why, and that can be corrected, no need for extra iron then.

Last edited by Audrey-B; 05-30-2009 at 01:37 AM.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
    tj707
    (female)

tj707 HB User

I wish it were that simple. My iron level isn't seriously low anyways; it's mild anemia, and not a grave concern at this time. I don't want to go into the details. I just wanted to see if anybody else had the same reaction, and that's all I wanted.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
    kisuke
    (female)

kisuke HB User

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to say that no, you are not crazy. I've played contact sports all my life and almost NEVER bruise. 3 months ago I found out that that my ferritin level was 14, and my doc wanted me to supplement with iron. Since then my I have had so much more energy and my hair isn't falling out as much, BUT I have had more bruises this season than the last 15 years of me playing rugby combined.
    In case people wanted to know :P

Old 03-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
    tj707
    (female)

tj707 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
    The problem is, if your iron stores are low or non existent, this will lead to other issues developing and you wouldn't want that. If other members of your family have this same issue, how are they dealing with keeping decen't iron stores within their system. Iron stores don't just affect hair and energy, they are also necessary for our muscles, bone marrow, thyroid, transporting oxygen through our body and lots more. I know some people go to hospital and get it done intravenously but i'm not sure whether you would still get the bruising.

Have you ever found out why your ferritin is low? Maybe if you find out why, and that can be corrected, no need for extra iron then.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
    tj707
    (female)

tj707 HB User

I don't know why I was so guarded when I read your reply the first time. I sounded so snobby. Well, the doctors never found a reason for my anemia, but I have read that Nexium is a nutrient robber, which I told my doctor long ago. Maybe she couldn't admit that I knew more than she did. I got the iron back up with Spirulina and fortified cereal.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
    tj707
    (female)

tj707 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kisuke View Post
    I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to say that no, you are not crazy. I've played contact sports all my life and almost NEVER bruise. 3 months ago I found out that that my ferritin level was 14, and my doc wanted me to supplement with iron. Since then my I have had so much more energy and my hair isn't falling out as much, BUT I have had more bruises this season than the last 15 years of me playing rugby combined.
    Thanks for your comment. I don't open this email address very often. There must be something in iron supplements that isn't good for us. I think more people probably have this problem than is realized, but because most doctors will say that iron exists naturally in our bodies, so it shouldn't give us problems, they are less likely to suspect that it is the iron. If more doctors were aware of the problem, I bet they would recognize it more readily.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
    tj707
    (female)

tj707 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kisuke View Post
    Thanks. This makes sense. There must be something about iron that makes people bruise. I just hope they don't start testing poor little animals to see how much they bleed when given large amounts of iron.

Closed Thread