It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• magnesium and vitamin D

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
    locarbaj
    Inactive
    (female)

locarbaj HB User
    magnesium and vitamin D

MandyyJ;
    What you mention sounds like magnesium deficiency, which can be unmasked by taking Vitamin D3. I know of a lady who had the same problem: she started taking magnesium and all the symptoms disappeared. About 400mg of magnesium is about right.

locarbaj

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-20-2009 at 09:05 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to locarbaj For This Useful Post:
    womanofgod (03-24-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
    locarbaj
    Inactive
    (female)

locarbaj HB User
    Re: Vitamin D deficiency

TEdds83;
    These are magnesium deficiency symptoms. Look up magnesium deficiency and you will find these symptoms mentioned, I'm sure. Vitamin D3 improves the uptake of magnesium in your system, so if you are already low in magnesium, you will become even lower if you start taking Vitamin D3. You need to get some magnesium supplements soon!

locarbaj

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-20-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
    locarbaj
    Inactive
    (female)

locarbaj HB User

TEdds83;
    I am new to this board so I haven't worked out where my messages are appearing. Magnesium deficiency is what you have. Aching muscles, palpitations, twitching are from low magnesium, not low Vit D3.

Hope I'm not overdoing it!

All the best,

locarbaj

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-20-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
    locarbaj
    Inactive
    (female)

locarbaj HB User

susu2007;
    You are taking waaaaay too much calcium and far too little Vitamin D3! You also need magnesium, and probably no calcium supplements. Calcium without magnesium and Vitamin D actually causes brittle bones, not strong ones.

I have just re-read part of Dr Eades book, The Protein Power Lifeplan, and this is from the chapter called "The Magnesium Miracle".

locarbaj

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-20-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
    locarbaj
    Inactive
    (female)

locarbaj HB User

dschus1156;

Sorry to hear you had such a fright. Vitamin D is normally manufactured in the skin by the action of sunlight on the skin. Today, however, most of us go out into the sun slathered in sunscreen, or spend very little time outdoors. The foods we eat contain very little Vitamin D.

In addition, we need fats to absorb Vitamin D and if we do go out in the sun, then we shouldn't shower straight away otherwise we will wash off the Vitamin D.

Your plan to cut out sugar, white flour and processed foods is excellent. If you supplement with about 5,000iu of Vitamin D3 and take a good magnesium supplement, you should feel better soon.

The Vitamin D Council is a good place to go for information.

locarbaj

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-20-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
    locarbaj
    Inactive
    (female)

locarbaj HB User

Koedi2482;

Magnesium can also help with depression. <removed>

locarbaj

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-20-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
    locarbaj
    Inactive
    (female)

locarbaj HB User

TEdds83;

Magnesium deficiency.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-20-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
    locarbaj
    Inactive
    (female)

locarbaj HB User

MandyyJ;

Another Amanda here! I think you have magnesium deficiency, too, it is common with chronic fatigue. Magnesium deficiency and vitamin D deficiency are both very common. The best solution is to tackle both problems together but not to bother with loads of calcium supplements: we get enough calcium in our diet, but not enough magnesium.

locarbaj

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-20-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 06-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
    Victoria1970
    (female)

Victoria1970 HB User

You really should talk to your doctor. I have a vitamin D deficiency and my Doc told me that too much magnesium can block the absorbtion of vitamin d. My Doc put me on 1800mg of D3 and about 1500mg of calcium. With any luck I will feel better soon.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #10
    locarbaj
    Inactive
    (female)

locarbaj HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Victoria1970 View Post
    You really should talk to your doctor. I have a vitamin D deficiency and my Doc told me that too much magnesium can block the absorbtion of vitamin d. My Doc put me on 1800mg of D3 and about 1500mg of calcium. With any luck I will feel better soon.
    Hi Victoria,

I am really surprised to hear that a doctor told you that "too much" magnesium can block the absorption of Vitamin D. I have been reading about Vitamin D and magnesium for quite a while now, and the one thing you read over and over again is that there is a whole bunch of factors that co-operate in the building of bone, calcium metabolism and so on. One of the most important players is magnesium and, today, most of us get too much calcium in our diet and too little magnesium, as well as too little fat to help absorb any vitamin D we might accidentally get.

In order for "too much" magnesium to be in your particular body, then your doctor would have to do a cheek-swab test to find out what your intra-cellular magnesium levels were: a blood test would not reveal the intracellular levels, which is what is important. If there is too little magnesium floating around between the cells, then calcium can enter the cells easily, which it shouldn't. Magnesium is a natural calcium-channel blocker, just like beta-blockers. Today most people are woefully deficient in magnesium, hence all the people complaining of typical deficiency symptoms, such as cramps in their calves in the night, twitchiness, aching neck muscles, general fatigue, twitchy eyelids, anxiety and even depression. All these are typical of low magnesium and can easily be resolved by taking magnesium supplements.

I would be very wary of taking calcium supplements: there have been studies which show that too much calcium in the form of supplements makes your bones brittle, rather than the opposite.

Before I started taking calcium with my Vitamin D, I would also want to ask my doctor if he could test my magnesium levels, too.

All the best,

aj

Old 06-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
    Victoria1970
    (female)

Victoria1970 HB User

I will ask the new doc to check my levels. Thank you for the info. I have felt horrible for 5 months now, I cant work, I dont drive, I go no where without my husband.. He is a decent man but he is not one to take care of thing. That is my job and I am unable to do anything these days. Tidying up my house is a good day for me.
    I read up on magesium deficiency symptoms and I have every one except high blood pressure. Mine is fairly low, usually 102/63 to 110/70 I am also diabetic. My old doc said I was fine with my numbers but my new doc is an endocrynologist and she says my numbers are bad.=-( So I am going back in next week and having her test a few things.
    Once again, thanks for the info..
    Victoria

Closed Thread