It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Confused about type of Omega-3 or fish oil to take

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
    rachae1
    (female)

rachae1 HB User
    Confused about type of Omega-3 or fish oil to take

I've googled this and, so far, have only gotten conflicting info about whether it is EPA or DHA that helps with alleviating depression. Read somewhere that too of much one type may actually trigger bipolar disorder.

Several product descriptions of different brand of fish oils containing higher EPA amounts touts its heart health benefits, but not its supposedly usefulness for depression.

So, I'm hoping I can get a consensus about whether to take a formula with more EPA or DHA - or something that contains only one type.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
    littleshelly
    (female)

littleshelly HB User
    Re: Confused about type of Omega-3 or fish oil to take

You want a supplement that contains both.

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-06-2009 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Removed quote of the immediately preceding post. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
    Juliepmb
    (female)

Juliepmb HB User

I agree with littleshelly - you want one that contains both...and EFA blend. Probably something with fish, primrose oil and borage oil. All are supposed to help with mood. I take one Thin Air Nutrition that I love because you don't burp fish all day.

Last edited by Juliepmb; 01-15-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

Hi Juliepmb Borage oil and primrose oil are omega 6's. Omega 6's compete for the same enzymes as omega 3's. Most people have omega 3 deficiencies due to over consumption of omega 6, which is found in all prepacked foods and fed to our cattle and chicken. So it is assumed that supplementing these oils like primrose and borage can actually lead to depression. Limitling saturated and trans fats in your diet is the best way to make room for all of the omega 6's that you could ever imagine, no need for supplementation.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

About the EPA DHA ratio. There is way too many conflicting studies right now about which is best for depression. You are probably going to have to wait a few more years for that answer.

As for me, it took trial and error to find the right ratio, or brand. At last I have found one that I think definately works better than any other. My brand "eskimo-3 by "enzymatic therapy" ironically is very honest about the supplements facts. It has 140-180mg of EPA & 87-128mg of DHA. It has not been modified to change the ratio so it is as natural as eating fish as you will get. It claims to be the purest and most stable form of fish available without a prescription and the scientists top choice because it has been used in a lot of research.

I swear I am addicted to this stuff, which is kind of scary. If I miss a dose then immediately 2 days later I am irritable and get road rage. I have tried many antidepressants but thankfully omega 3 IS my cure.

Last edited by TV in RV; 02-09-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:06 AM   #6
    GoodbyeElvin
    (male)

GoodbyeElvin HB User

I agree on the balance of the two forms, given the state of the art right now. I take it for bipolar as well as cardiac issues. I take the Carlson fish oil, lemon flavored, which is cost-effective and actually tastes pretty good: minimal fish burps, which I did get with the pills.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

TV in RV - would you mind sharing the brand of fish oil you are using?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

Yes, of course, sorry It is "Eskimo-3" by "Ezymatic Therapy"

I take one soft gel of double strength 1000 mg because it is a lot cheaper than the twice daily

Old 02-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoodbyeElvin View Post
    I agree on the balance of the two forms, given the state of the art right now. I take it for bipolar as well as cardiac issues. I take the Carlson fish oil, lemon flavored, which is cost-effective and actually tastes pretty good: minimal fish burps, which I did get with the pills.
    Hi, I read that if you burp a fish taste then it means that the fish oil is unstable. Unstable omega 3 is actually bad for you because it produces free radicals that will oxidize healthy cells.

Health professionals that reccomend fish oil are just as quick to point out that you should be careful buying supplements because most fish oils on the market are unstable and contain mercury and other toxins. It is good to make sure that the oil comes from fish that are low in mercury. But you also want to be sure that the fish oil goes through a purification system before it hits the shelves. Fish contain many toxins in this industrialized world.

Last edited by TV in RV; 02-09-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #10
    lelidott
    (male)

lelidott HB User

Most important component is DHA, so go for something which is high in DHA eg calamari omega 3.
    If you are annoyed with fish burps, then go for algea omega 3 - problem solved! (plus algae oil is high in DHA)

Source: http://www.bestomega3fishoil.org

Last edited by lelidott; 09-07-2011 at 02:18 AM.

Closed Thread