It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

What amount of suplementation of Cal /mag is optimum

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
BAHAMAS
(male)

BAHAMAS HB User
What amount of suplementation of Cal /mag is optimum

I have been on Healthboards a number of times and I have been suggested to take higher doses of magnesium for my Epilepsy by many of the healthboard members. Most people of suggested 1000 mgs per day.

The main thing that I would like to find out is whether the if the magnesium should be elemental or not.

The one I was recommended by a senior member of one on my local health food shops is –
“Calcium Magnesium - amino acid Chelate – 1:2” which provides =

“Calcium bisglycinate” = 275 mgs (providing – Elemental Calcium = 50 mgs)
“Magnesium bisglycinate” = 550 mgs (providing – Elemental Magnesium = 100 mgs)

In substituting Magnesium for my epilepsy should I be looking for the amount of Magnesium bisglycinate in a capsule or the amount of elemental magnesium in a capsule ?

I don't know if this matters but I am taking Lamictal = 200 mgs per day and Keppra = 2,000 mgs per day.

Also, should the magnesium be taken with or not with medication and should it be taken on a full or empty stomach.

Thanks Craig

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: What amount of suplementation of Cal /mag is optimum

Let me help. Yes, the elemental amount is what counts. For instance, suppose you have magnesium chloride, chemical formula MgCl2. If I have 5 grams of MgCl2, there are 2 chlorine atoms for every one magnesium atom. Not only that, they weigh different amounts. A chlorine atom weighs more than a magnesium atom. So what this boils down to is that 5 grams of magnesium chloride would yield only about 1.3 grams of magnesium because the rest is chloride. So when a label says 6 mg as elemental magnesium, this is what they are referring to.

Dosages? Hmm, that's individual. I've used 500 mg magnesium per day before, and it helped my muscle fluidity while running, but I've never used it for any other purpose. Since magnesium is a relatively small atom, the ion is small (which is what you are actually consuming, the atom with a +2 charge) and water soluble, you won't store any; any excess will be expelled readily.

Magnesium citrate is good too; it's cheap and absorbs fairly well.

Closed Thread