It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Mineral question: phosphorus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
    MatthewOnline
    (male)

MatthewOnline HB User
    Mineral question: phosphorus

I just had an annual exam and blood work. For this first time ever, a phosphorus level was ordered. My reading was 2.5 mg/dL (reference range for this lab: 2.7-4.5 mg/dL).

My blood counts, Chem 7, and serum magnesium were all within reference range.

I thought that I was eating a proper diet with a variety of fresh foods. I'm not a fast food type of guy, nor do I drink alcohol or caffeinated products.

Wondering what the symptoms and long-term implications of a low phosphorus level are.

What recommendation would there be to increase dietary phosphorus? I read that grains and cereals contain phosphorus, but not in the form the body can easily process or absorb.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
    Re: Mineral question: phosphorus

You're really not that much out of range. Personally, I don't worry about small departures from "normal".

But here are some foods that are rich in Phosphorous. You can see if you are getting these in your diet:

Whole Wheat and Bran
    Cottage & cheddar Cheese
    Peanut butter
    Corn & Broccoli
    Chicken & Turkey
    Garlic
    Beans & Nuts

You could also take a mineral supplement, like Supreme Fulvic and Humic Complex or Fulvic Acid. Both great products.

A serious phosphorous deficiency would start to effect one's bones and teeth.

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
    MatthewOnline (11-18-2011)
    Old 11-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
    MatthewOnline
    (male)

MatthewOnline HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
    You're really not that much out of range. Personally, I don't worry about small departures from "normal".

But here are some foods that are rich in Phosphorous. You can see if you are getting these in your diet:

Whole Wheat and Bran
    Cottage & cheddar Cheese
    Peanut butter
    Corn & Broccoli
    Chicken & Turkey
    Garlic
    Beans & Nuts

You could also take a mineral supplement, like Supreme Fulvic and Humic Complex or Fulvic Acid. Both great products.

A serious phosphorous deficiency would start to effect one's bones and teeth.

Many thanks for a prompt and complete response! Normally, I wouldn't concern myself with fractions of a per cent out of range. Especially since it's a one-time measurement and doesn't necessarily give a full picture.

The primary reason I thought I should be more mindful of the result is because I do eat enough high-quality foods that should contain adequate phosphate/phosphorus supplies.

The second reason is that my GP had me supplementing with 2000 IU of Vitamin D3 to "correct" a barely insufficient serum level of 25 ng/dL. Within a few short months, I managed to get that up to 38 ng/dL.

I do know that Vitamin D plays an important role in calcium and phosphorus regulation (and a few other attributes as well.)

My position is that when you push one side of something, it gives elsewhere. So, I wondered if the Vitamin D3 intake offset something somewhere else. Unlikely, but possible. As my GP said, "The body is amazingly adept at maintaining homeostasis - even under extreme conditions." So, maybe my body "prefers" a lower Vitamin D3 status? It's not that low - even with these new guidelines. I'm as Northern European as they come, so I've perhaps evolved with my ancestry to function quite well with suboptimal Vitamin D3, per today's standards.

I tend to avoid "monkeying" with the body by taking supplements. But I'm not completely averse to the idea -- when there is clear evidence in support of it.

We'll see how things look in another 3 to 6 months. I appreciate the thoroughness and thoughtfulness of your response, jenj770!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
    lymiee
    (female)

lymiee HB User

hi Matthew - i would just redo the test before to worry. Often a blood test like that does not mean much

Closed Thread