It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• What vitamins to take and how long?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
    Springy
    (female)

Springy HB User
    What vitamins to take and how long?

I have been thinking about taking some of those 'multi-vitamins for women' tablets as I dont think I get enough vitamins through the day.
    I quite often feel tired, I have IBS and various aches and pains.
    If I do take them, what is the best and for how long should I take them? I did read somewhere that you should not take vitamins for too long?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
    jef112
    (male)

jef112 HB User
    Re: What vitamins to take and how long?

Springy: I think your question is a tough one. Lots of talk lately about how supplements may not be helpful and multi-vitamins might actually be dangerous. I don't know that I subscribe to either of those beliefs. Personally, I take several supplements (garlic, fish oil, D, E, B12, Saw Palmetto, Bioten) daily on advice from my doctor. My advice is this: 1) consult your doctor and do your research. You alone are responsible for your health. 2) Do your best to get the nutrition you need from eating good foods and avoiding bad ones. By good ones, I mean natural, real food. Grass fed beef, if possible. Fruits and vegetables. By bad foods, I mean anything that is processed. I also try and avoid sugary foods. Above all, keep researching and looking for good ways to live. Never stop trying to learn all you can about your health. Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to jef112 For This Useful Post:
    kanded (02-08-2014)
    Old 01-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Springy,

Docs know very little about vitamin and herb supplementation. Many do not even believe they have any benefit. They have benefited me greatly. You would be doing yourself a great service to start researching your ailments and then seeing what alternative methods are prescribed. Knowledge is power so you would be gaining important knowledge about your body and what you can do to aid any malfunctioning.

Food based vitamins are a good choice. Vitamin and minerals are included in my bi annual lab (from a holistic MD) so there is that you could do as well. Then you would know specifically where you may be deficient.

All the best with this,

Tess

The Following User Says Thank You to tess201 For This Useful Post:
    jef112 (01-03-2014)
    Old 02-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
    lar17
    (female)

lar17 HB User

Hi!

Tess I agree 100% with you. I have talked to 3 of my docs. about vitamins, and being that I take diff. meds. I asked if it's ok if I take vitamins, and they've all said yes, I have done some research on issues I'm dealing with. So I've looked up to see which vitamins could possibly help with them. Yet even the some of the research doesn't help because they basically give diff. answers. So when I asked my docs. if any of them would help for these specific issues they said they never heard it to be possible. So I feel like I'm in a fork in a road with no road signs, it's so frustrating!

Old 02-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
    jef112
    (male)

jef112 HB User

Unfortunately, getting straight, truthful answers about healthcare, whether it's taking supplements or dealing with high cholesterol or losing weight and everything in between been more confusing. The reason for the confusion boils down to greed. It seems everyone, from your doctor to pharmaceutical companies to the magazines we read and the TV shows we watch all have an agenda. That agenda is to sell you things. Never has the saying "don't believe everything you read (or see)" been more appropriate. In the end, however, you do have to trust someone and come up with your own beliefs. Research Research Research. You are in charge of your own health. Nobody else is going to do it for you. In the end, you'll have to figure out who you are going to trust. The more knowledge you accrue, the better you'll be able to make your decisions. I will say, the more research you do, the easier it becomes to tell who is giving out good, sound, common sense advice and who is trying to sell you something you don't need. Finally, think of your health as a journey and not a destination. It isn't a puzzle to be solved and then you are done with it. It evolves and changes from day to day, year to year, as it should. There will be times of frustration, but also times of clarity. Just like life itself. Best of luck on your journey and post when/if you have specific questions.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
    kanded
    (female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User

Getting yourself a naturopath doctor might help you to get better since they know which vitamins you should personally take for your specific problems.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
    trfie
    (male)

trfie HB User

I haven't heard any talk that a daily multivitamin might be dangerous. Where did you hear this?

I'm a bit skeptical when I hear about people gaining a lot of benefit from vitamins/minerals because the people I've talked to so far tend to have a number of diseases, chronic pain, and other health issues. They take a large number of different supplements so firstly it is impossible to separate the benefit from one versus another, and in addition they continue to be in chronic pain and have all of the diseases that they had before and cannot explain what has improved since they started x supplement.

I personally take a daily multivitamin because it might be helpful, at worst they cause no harm, and my diet is not as good as it could be although I am working to eat healthier. Vitamin D deficiency is also rampant and there is a huge amount of data both on health problems associated with D deficiency as well as benefits from taking them in those who are deficient.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-26-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

I cut way back on my vitamins. Take one multiple, one B complex, and one C.

Certain vitamins like A, D, E accumulate in your system and you don't want to take too many.

best of luck.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #9
    Penguinboy55
    (male)

Penguinboy55 HB User

Vitamin c is important for your immune system. And vitamin b6,12 are good for energy. I think you should take a multi vitamin every morning.

Closed Thread