It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Vit D deficiency overlooked?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
    Bumble84
    (female)

Bumble84 HB User
    Vit D deficiency overlooked?

Hi everyone I'm looking for some advice as I've been quite anxious for a while now.
    A few months ago I started getting random symptoms-

Bone, muscle and joint pain
    Head rush when standing
    Muscle fatigue (can't blowdry my hair without arms aching so bad)
    Headaches
    Chest pains
    Hair snapping

Other things too but the stabbing pains in my arms and aching joints and weak muscles have been the worst.

Well after googling - like you do- I noticed every single symptom could be explained by Vitamin D deficiency. So I went to my doc and he ran a load of blood work which he said all came back normal. He sent me for a neck xray and is now sending me for physio due to straightening of the cervical spine from muscle spasms, and that's the end of it as far as he is concerned.

I was not happy with this. I asked for my blood results to be printed so I could look for myself. It has taken weeks to get hold of them but I finally got them today.

My Vitamin D level was 26nmol which is 10.4ng!!

It said satisfactory no action required!! Is this correct? From everything I've read my results are really low??? What do you think, what have your experiences been??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
    Re: Vit D deficiency overlooked?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bumble84 View Post
    My Vitamin D level was 26nmol which is 10.4ng!!
    The Optimum level of vitamin D is 50-70ng/ml. You could try seeing a different doctor, which is what I would do with this faulty information or you could supplement on your own with D3, not D2, which is synthetic D. I've taken 2000 to 4000IU. Be sure you also supplement with K-2. This will help the Vit. D absorb and go where it's supposed to go.

Tess

Old 03-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
    JerseyPhil
    (male)

JerseyPhil HB User
    Re: Vit D deficiency overlooked?

Yes, perhaps you should try an endocrinologist. My Vitamin D level is 15 ng/ml and she put me on prescription 50,000 IU per week (in the US they only make D2 at that level). I could also buy 2000 IU pills and take three a day (instead).

You may want to try some sensible sun exposure (e.g. 20 mins a few times a week on non-face areas) per some of the leading Vitamin D endocrinologists.

My symptoms are mostly nagging muscle pain & weakness and mild bone pain. I know what you mean about drying your hair. My arms hurt when I pick up a gallon of milk.

Last edited by JerseyPhil; 03-26-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Closed Thread