It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Vitamin D and muscle pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
    JerseyPhil
    (male)

JerseyPhil HB User
    Question Vitamin D and muscle pain?

I had two back surgeries (in 2012, 2013) so I was quite sedentary as I recovered, not going out a lot. In January 2014 I tried to become a bit more active (e.g. walking, starting my PT). I had a stiff neck for a while previously but figured that it was just from lying around the house too much. The PT didn't help and the walking provoked leg muscle pains. Note: I was just walking slowly around the block, it wasn't like I was hiking hills for an hour. And then my forearm muscles started hurting for no real reason. I also have some rib pains (mostly the back set of ribs).

Last month, my GP agreed to take me off my statins for a while (statins can sometimes cause muscle pain, but I've been on them for years). That didn't help. He also tested my CPK levels = normal.

So, I went to a rheumatologist three weeks ago (Mar 6). He did a much more comprehensive blood panel. No Lupus, No RH arthritis, no Lyme, TSH was fine, testosterone fine, calcium, etc; all normal, except my Vitamin D was 15 ng/ml. The low end of normal is supposed to be 30. My endocrinologist then put me on 50,000 IU of Vitamin D per week. It has only been two weeks.

I also had a visit with the neurologist; his physical exam was normal (walk on heels, walk on toes, push/pull against him, bang on the tendons with the little hammer, etc).

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else who has a vitamin D deficiency had significant muscle pain? Sometimes I feel it when I use those muscles (e.g. lifting a gallon of milk); sometimes, the pain seems to move around randomly (neck, legs, arms, shoulders) after no particular exertion.

2) Has anyone recovered from these symptoms after normalizing their Vitamin D. They say it takes about two months to get your D levels into the healthy 50-ish range. OK, how about actual relief from the symptoms?

3) I'm heading back to the GP in a few days. Should I insist on any more tests? Bone density (since D effects bones)? Screening for other diseases?

Thx,
    JerseyPhil

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Vitamin D and muscle pain?

I believe low Vit D does cause muscle pain/aching for some people, and this should improve with treatment, unless there is some other cause. I would ask for a bone density test to check for osteoporosis, since Vit D enables calcium absorption. You can have normal calcium levels with significant loss of bone density, so a baseline is a good idea.

Closed Thread

Tags
    vitamin d deficiency