It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Magnesium help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
    LittleTeaBlosso
    (female)

LittleTeaBlosso HB User
    Question Magnesium help

Hi I started taking 200mg of Magnesium Citrate on April 6th. My sister recommend it to help PMS, Anxiety and sweet cravings. My stomach has since been nauseous and I have been going to the bathroom quite a bit. I know it can act as a laxative but It's pretty inconvenient going to the bathroom so much! My question us will my stomach get used to it or should I stop it? Also will only 200mg a day help me? From what I read you can go up to 600mg daily but I don't think my stomach could handle it! Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
    pks1206
    (female)

pks1206 HB User
    Re: Magnesium help

Different types of magnesium are absorbed differently and affect people in different ways. My Dr. recommended magnesium a couple of years ago and it has had a huge difference. I take 200mg of fully chelated non-buffered magnesium and I take it once a day in the evening. The dosage is for 2, but I dislike any kind of pill whether it's herbal or not, so I always cut the dosage in half and go from there.

The brand I take is Dr's Best and I pay $17 for 250 tablets, so for me that's about a 9 month supply.

A friend of mine tried Magnesium glycinate and she had the same problems as you're having now. So she gave it to me and when I ran out of mine I started taking hers. After 28 hours I was a basket case; too much magnesium can actually magnify the symptoms for which you're taking it!

Needless to say I stopped taking that immediately and ordered my Dr's Best again. It sounds as though the chelated might work for you, but make sure it's 100% chelated.

Last edited by mod85; 04-18-2014 at 05:03 AM.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
    LittleTeaBlosso
    (female)

LittleTeaBlosso HB User

Thank you some the advice I really appreciate it!!

Last edited by mod85; 04-18-2014 at 05:03 AM.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:29 AM   #4
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Magnesium glycinate chelated shouldn't cause you those problems. Magnesium has a calming effect. If you're deficient in it this supplement should help.

Tess

Old 04-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
    itburns2004
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

The pills are hard to digest and end up becoming a laxative. There are different types. They have transdermal magnesium thats a gel or a spray and you put it on your arm for a span of time and its absorbs without effecting your belly, soak your feet in epson salt, thats high in magnesium too. I have used the transdermal.

Closed Thread