It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board

• Is magnesium deficiency causing my muscle pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
    mooney12
    (female)

mooney12 HB User
    Is magnesium deficiency causing my muscle pain?

21 year old female, fairly active. So last week I was having ache-like pains in my arms and now this week I've been having worse aches in my thighs, calves and even buttocks. It happens regardless if I'm standing up or resting. Mostly on my right leg.

I admit I haven't been eating well lately, I'm already a vegetarian and holiday meals are loaded with meat so I am left with hardly anything to scrounge off of around the house. I've been under a lot of stress and feeling very depressed for the past few months especially the last few weeks with work. I've also been having headaches more frequently. The closest solution I found online was to take more magnesium, so I bought some supplements this morning and took 500 mg with breakfast, but it's 14 hours later my legs are still in pain. I also bought a regular multivitamin and took that tonight. I guess it doesn't work that fast but I know 500 mg is more than what's recommended for women. Should I still stick to these supplements?

Other supplements I take are B12, vitamin E, and Calcium. I'm also on birth control if it matters. I'll go to the doctor after the new year when I'm less busy to discuss my anxiety and depression issues and possibly bring this up but that will be a while from now. I've never had this problem before, too

Last edited by mooney12; 12-27-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2014, 03:02 AM   #2
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
    Re: Is magnesium deficiency causing my muscle pain?

You could also try Terry Naturally Extra Strength Curamin for pain relief. There is also a magnesium product that you can spray directly on the area. It is called Derma Mag.

Hope you discover the cause of your pain and can find some relief soon.

Tess

Old 12-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
    mooney12
    (female)

mooney12 HB User

Thanks for the tips. Second day taking the magnesium and I had significantly less pain in my legs but then I had some in my arms again, really only lasted for just a few hours. So weird.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
    mooney12
    (female)

mooney12 HB User

Just to update it's day 3 of taking the magnesium and I've had even LESS pain than yesterday on both arms and legs. It's still there but so much less noticeable and more bearable. I think this really was some sort of magnesium deficiency, or vitamins in general, since I've been so bad at my diet recently. But for the past few days I've been looking out and it's been getting better.

Could muscle aches also be caused by protein deficiency? I realized days have gone by where I probably got 0 protein at all, being vegetarian and everything. I've also got horrible anxiety and recently have become quite scared of food and all the chemicals and crap that we put in them then directly into our bodies I'm a big mess

Old 12-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
    MyCat55
    (female)

MyCat55 HB UserMyCat55 HB UserMyCat55 HB User

Muscle aches and pains are caused by a wide range of vitamin and mineral deficiences.

The majority of people in the West including vegetarians get enough protein as you actually need less than most people think. Also protein is in a lot more foods than what people automatically think.

I suggest you go to your doctor as a matter of urgency. Ask him/her to do full nutrient blood test explaining that you are vegetarian and that you are getting a lot of aches and pains in your muscles and body.

You need to stop taking all your supplements a minimum of 72 hours before your blood test as it will give you false results. For example your blood B12 level will be higher then it really is due to your supplementation. (I had one test where this was the case.)

Also anxiety and depression can be linked to be a vitamin/mineral deficient if that deficiency is severe or just low. (I've been iron, vitamin D and B12 deficient and felt that way as well as having aches and pains.)

I would mention the pain and aches first than the anxiety and depression as some doctors don't hear female patients physical symptoms just the mental ones.

As you are vegetarian the doctor may just want to check your iron levels but you need them to check all your nutrient levels otherwise they may not check your ferritin level or your vitamin D status. Having a low ferritin level is often a precursor to having a anaemia while a lot of people are being found as having insufficient vitamin D levels.

Finally some pills can cause some women to feel anxious and depressed, and they find they are better on a different one or not on that form of birth control at all. Unfortunately only you will know if your mental health is linked to that particular pill.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
    mooney12
    (female)

mooney12 HB User

Thanks a lot. I just called my doctors office and told them this but they can't fit me in until next week They didn't say if I was getting a blood test or anything, they sounded weirdly concerned which stresses me out, but not urgent enough to see me soon. But I guess I'll keep taking the supplements and vitamins until 3-ish days before the appointment, like you recommended, just in case they do test me. Waiting is just so bad on my nerves.

Edit: also for the birth control, I've had anxiety issues my entire life and depression set in before I started the pill, I thought the pill made me feel better for a while but it faded, and the past year I've felt worse... So it's not connected. I also need them to control pain in my ovaries caused by a mean old cyst, and because I was getting progressively sicker during my period. A whole different situation, but if this pain and mental state IS connected to my pills, I'll be pretty upset since I need them.

Last edited by mooney12; 12-30-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
    mooney12
    (female)

mooney12 HB User

Just as a follow up, I finally got the blood work results back and turns out vitamin d was deficient, which makes more sense than magnesium since I stopped drinking milk a few months ago. I've now been drinking it again, and eating more balanced meals, so hopefully the symptoms will go away

Old 06-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #8
    truredhead
    (female)

truredhead HB User

Yes I found out when My blood test for vitamin D came back at 12 how many things are affected by vitamin d. I am a redhead so I do not get out in the sun much and also am disabled from osteoarthritis. I am taking 50,000 once a week but I also got vitamin d drops from ****** that are absorbed better and quicker. They are Biotin Research Vit D Forte. They have great reviews from customers. I was having many aches and muscle pains too.

Closed Thread

Tags
    magnesium, muscle pain