It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board

adhesions or scar tissue in abdomen?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
aphid
(female)

aphid HB User
adhesions or scar tissue in abdomen?

Hello everybody! My question is kind of tangential to the topic of weight loss surgery. I'm hoping that it will be read by someone who has knowledge of abdominal surgeries in general.

So... when a surgeon cuts you open and plays with your organs, he touches them with his latex gloves, tools, sponges, and those "lap pads" they're always yelling for on Grey's Anatomy. Each time he touches the surface of an organ, it suffers a little abrasion, or at the very least, it loses some moisture at that spot. So when he's done playing with your organs and puts them all back inside and sews you up, they might touch each other and kind of get stuck to each other in the dry spots.

Adhesions are the formation of some sort of scar tissue between two organs when they get stuck together after surgery or when one organ has to heal from being scraped or abraded. They might not cause any problems, and you may never know they're there.

They're said to be thin, spider-webby tissue. I'm told that they can't be seen in an ultrasound or MRI.

My questions are:

Can adhesions occur from a cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal) that was done using 4 tiny holes and endoscopes/laparoscopes, not scalpels?

Is there ever a condition or circumstance where adhesions may continue to grow long after surgery?

My situation is that I had a cholecystectomy about four years ago, and since that time, my upper abdomen has been increasing in size and pressure. I can blame some of it on weight gain and visceral fat, but there seems to be something else going on in there as well... something heavy and solid... something growing... something sinister... something ALIEN!!! (Just kidding.)

Also, I have ideopathic tracheal stenosis, a condition in which one's trachea starts to grow scar tissue for no apparent reason and keeps doing it, requiring laser procedures every couple years (or months, for some people) to cut back the scar tissue and dilate the trachea so air can get through. This condition is called "ideopathic" because its cause is unknown, and it reportedly occurs mostly in white women between 20 and 40 (which I am... was... am... well, I'm 42 now but was diagnosed in my 30's. Had symptoms in my 20's, which were misdiagnosed as exercise-induced asthma for a decade. I'm still white, though. And a woman.).

Since the cause of the ever-growing scar tissue in my trachea is unknown, is it possible that my body just forms scar tissue for the fun of it, and that the small disturbances from the four slender tubes during the gallbladder removal could have caused adhesions, and that those adhesions are still growing and causing this extra volume and mass and pressure behind my abs and ribcage?

I recently had ultrasounds and an MRI for my abdomen. I had two reasons: something in my pelvis seems to be pushing on my colon or rectum, so my stools are coming out flattened like Play Doh through a dough machine... kind of triangular in cross section, actually.... and something in my upper abdomen keeps pushing up hard on my stomach when I tighten my muscles or lean forward, causing regurgitation. I have to take a deep breath and hold it while I'm tying my shoes, to keep my stomach contents down until I straighten back up again. Plus the sheer protruding mass of my upper abdomen is just getting in my way, like for instance when I'm working out, and I need to pull my knees up to my chest to squeeze into a weight machine or recumbent cardio machine, and my knees and stomach collide and I can't get past the frame and into the seat.

They found uterine fibroids with the ultrasounds, which may account for the fun poo shapes, but they saw nothing unusual in my upper abdomen. The MRI showed a small fatty spot on my liver, but everything else was normal.

Like I said, I'm overweight, I'm sure I have visceral fat, and I take responsibility for some of my recent increase in size and weight. I'm just wondering if there could be something else inside, like adhesions that won't stop growing.

Also, if there are any surgeons out there reading this, maybe you could invent some sort of lube for keeping organs nice and slippery during surgery? Might prevent adhesions and make you rich and famous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: adhesions or scar tissue in abdomen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphid View Post

My questions are:

Can adhesions occur from a cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal) that was done using 4 tiny holes and endoscopes/laparoscopes, not scalpels?
The answer is "yes". They would be small but they can get larger as time passes, even years later.

Quote:
Is there ever a condition or circumstance where adhesions may continue to grow long after surgery?
Yes, possibly due to inflammation, a condition that may be due to being overweight. A high percentage of body fat is known to cause inflammation.

I'm not a surgeon but a few years ago I read something written by a general surgeon and he mentioned this problem. He said there were people he wouldn't operate on because they had multiple surgeries and all the adhesions would make it too difficult.

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-15-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: adhesions or scar tissue in abdomen?

Hi there. I had a cholecystectomy over a year ago and as soon as I was healed, I started having pain where the inscisions were. I thought for sure it was a hernia...but after CT scans and MRIs, I was told probably adhesion.
I lived with it for another 6 months and the pain was so bad it was interfering with my life so I went to a pain management surgeon (I don't take any kind of pain management pills) who explained the procedure to cut these adhesion's was not guaranteed and that they could come back. I didn't care- I wanted them cut.

I had the procedure and immediately felt better. Its been another 6 months now and I still have no pain, but if they come back again, Ill do it again.

Yes, they can grow at any time and yes, weight gain can contribute to it. Of course being that you already have an idiopathic thing happening, maybe its possible that you are more susceptible to these to begin with; but thats something only your doctor can tell you.

I hope this helps.

Reply Reply