It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board

Referred for gastric sleeve.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
tearsnfears
Veteran
(female)

tearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB User
Referred for gastric sleeve.

After 18 months of working to lose weight trying weight loss programs, different types of workouts and yo-yoing a total of 15-20 pounds I asked my doctor what other options were available.

I was wondering if others that have had this procedure could tell me if you were successful. How long did you take off work? Have you been able to keep the weight off?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2017, 03:30 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Referred for gastric sleeve.

I think you will get 1000 different answers to this question. The sleeve is only helpful if you are motivated to keep it off. It will reduce your caloric intake- but only to a certain extent.

My brother has this done 3 years ago. He lost over 100 lbs. He looked fantastic and EVERYONE told him how wonderful he looked. The doctors said if he didnt lose that weight, he would die from the strain on his heart. He kept it off less than a year and gained it all back. He now sits in a chair looking miserable every time I see him

A lady I work with had it done about 2 years ago. She lost about 85 lbs and looks wonderful...a year after that she still looks wonderful and has kept it off. She is one of the most motivated people I know. She walks the stairs at lunch, doing her 10,000 steps with her step tracker- she eats healthy- she smiles all the time.

I am positive you will hear stories from the worst to the best asking this question, but please make sure you trust your bariatric surgeon. He or she will be the most important part of your journey; unlike regular surgeons where they operate on you , you go back for a follow up, and you probably will never see them again, this type of surgery includes allot of support and assistance. Find a surgeon you really trust. and GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by MSNik; 11-16-2017 at 03:31 AM.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #3
tearsnfears
Veteran
(female)

tearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB User
Re: Referred for gastric sleeve.

Thank you for the input and personal experience. I am a former athlete that was always healthy weight wise until other health issues sidelined me. Add to that a med that seemed to have acted as the very glue that adhered the fat to me and I struggle now. I have been dedicated to diet and exercise without any appreciable weight loss. Now my dr. and I are looking at other options.

Reply Reply