It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board

• lap band surgery anyone under 100 lb ov had this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
    Swalk

Swalk HB User
    lap band surgery anyone under 100 lb ov had this?

Is there anyone that is under 100 lbs overweight that has had this surgery?
    If so, what state and did you have medical problems?
    Did insurance pay for this? I would just like to hear your story!
    thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2004, 11:40 PM   #2
    jess301

jess301 HB User
    Re: lap band surgery anyone under 100 lb ov had this?

I am under 100 lbs overweight and am looking into having the surgery. From what I have gathered so far, some docs will do the surgery if you bmi is 35--if you have medical problems too. From everything I have read, alot of people to go Mexico; they have the theory that its better to do it early and not get the diseases and health issues associated with obesity--and its cheaper there. You won't get insurance coverage if you go to Mexico, but you probably won't get it here if your bmi is too low. If you want more info try spotlighthealth .com, there are some great message boards, just about banding. I read them daily in order to get a good idea of the advantages and disadvantages, etc.

Old 07-01-2004, 03:52 PM   #3
    Swalk

Swalk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jessicameg
    I am under 100 lbs overweight and am looking into having the surgery. From what I have gathered so far, some docs will do the surgery if you bmi is 35--if you have medical problems too. From everything I have read, alot of people to go Mexico; they have the theory that its better to do it early and not get the diseases and health issues associated with obesity--and its cheaper there. You won't get insurance coverage if you go to Mexico, but you probably won't get it here if your bmi is too low. If you want more info try spotlighthealth .com, there are some great message boards, just about banding. I read them daily in order to get a good idea of the advantages and disadvantages, etc.

Thanks for the info, keep in touch and let me know if you get it done.
    how much do you think your overweight>?

Old 07-02-2004, 10:52 AM   #4
    jess301

jess301 HB User

i guess that depends on whose scale i choose to believe--my docs always weighs me heavier than my home scale
    i am somewhere between 65-75 lbs overweight--and on my 5ft frame thats alot. I have tried most every diet, pills, exercise program and nothing--only weight gain. I am not 100% ready for the knife, but its definetly an option. I am going to try meridia and medifast--those are the only programs I have yet to try--and if they don't work--well, off to mexico I go

Old 07-04-2004, 09:13 PM   #5
    Swalk

Swalk HB User

Quote:
    i guess that depends on whose scale i choose to believe--my docs always weighs me heavier than my home scale
    i am somewhere between 65-75 lbs overweight--and on my 5ft frame thats alot. I have tried most every diet, pills, exercise program and nothing--only weight gain. I am not 100% ready for the knife, but its definetly an option. I am going to try meridia and medifast--those are the only programs I have yet to try--and if they don't work--well, off to mexico I go

I am 5'4 and 190 I have joined Weight watchers and lost some weight so Im gonna stick with that for now, have you tried that? There is no way I could do a liquid diet, I just know it.
    I am 34 and have 2 kids and a hubby.
    I guess you have had thyroid and all checked out? I have and all is good.
    Surgery scares me so that is why Im doing all I can now, if I were single and no kids Id do it.
    What state are you in? are you sure your ins will not pay?

Old 07-05-2004, 09:22 PM   #6
    jess301

jess301 HB User
    )

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swalk
    I am 5'4 and 190 I have joined Weight watchers and lost some weight so Im gonna stick with that for now, have you tried that? There is no way I could do a liquid diet, I just know it.
    I am 34 and have 2 kids and a hubby.
    I guess you have had thyroid and all checked out? I have and all is good.
    Surgery scares me so that is why Im doing all I can now, if I were single and no kids Id do it.
    What state are you in? are you sure your ins will not pay?

I am in missouri, and no, I haven't even tried to talk to my insurance company yet. I doubt they would cover me, i don't think i weigh enough (which kills me, why wait until i have diabetes or heart disease?). i have done a million diet programs (slim fast, southbeach, atkins-3x, fastin, adipex, zenical, wellbutrin, ediets, cortislim-ugh!). i tried to do weight watchers but i got so obsessed with points i quit--all i could think about all day was how many points is this and that, and are these points really worthwhile, should i save them for later, etc i am single, 28, no kids--i guess thats why surgery doesn't really bother me--don't have any immediate responsibilities. if ww is working for you by all means, keep going! its a great thing to find something thats works at all---with all those diets i haven't lost a single pound. my doc thinks there is definitely something wrong, i will have my thyroid checked again tomorrow--i did it last year so its doubtful, but the doc thinks its a good idea anyway. we will see, i am giving it 6 more months then i will start looking for a surgeon...

Old 07-05-2004, 10:24 PM   #7
    Swalk

Swalk HB User
    Re: )

Quote:
    I am in missouri, and no, I haven't even tried to talk to my insurance company yet. I doubt they would cover me, i don't think i weigh enough (which kills me, why wait until i have diabetes or heart disease?). i have done a million diet programs (slim fast, southbeach, atkins-3x, fastin, adipex, zenical, wellbutrin, ediets, cortislim-ugh!). i tried to do weight watchers but i got so obsessed with points i quit--all i could think about all day was how many points is this and that, and are these points really worthwhile, should i save them for later, etc i am single, 28, no kids--i guess thats why surgery doesn't really bother me--don't have any immediate responsibilities. if ww is working for you by all means, keep going! its a great thing to find something thats works at all---with all those diets i haven't lost a single pound. my doc thinks there is definitely something wrong, i will have my thyroid checked again tomorrow--i did it last year so its doubtful, but the doc thinks its a good idea anyway. we will see, i am giving it 6 more months then i will start looking for a surgeon...

I agree it is nuts that ins will pay AFTER you have something really wrong, but thats how insurance works its all about money not someone's health.
    I wish you luck, let me know how it goes. If you have really tried all that, maybe they should send you to an endocronologist to do further tests.
    WIth me I get so depressed about my weight I want a quick fix, although I know surgery is not a easy thing, Ive watched shows and read lots of stuff and you know you can search those type of weight loss surgery boards to hear peoples stories and email them.
    take care and let me know how it goes!

Old 07-06-2004, 12:11 PM   #8
    chesapeake girl
    (female)

chesapeake girl HB User

The surgery scares me too. There are definitely a lot of wonderful experiences, but the few not so wonderful are the ones that scares me. I read an article about a mother that had the surgery and then got a staff infection. They thought that she was going to die. She had 2 small children that someone else had to come take care of because she couldn't even take care of herself. She now has gained back a lot of her weight because she went into a depression about all of the problems she has had.

Something like that is very scarey. But I would love to lose 100lbs!!

cg

Old 07-07-2004, 07:12 PM   #9
    stardust39
    (female)

stardust39 HB User

I went on the Zone Jan 27,2004 I have lost over 50 pound and over 30 inches to date... I have been on everything a person can go on to loose weight... This is awesome lots of good food and it works so well.. 5 months and over 50 pounds Have any of you tried The Zone??

Last edited by stardust39; 07-07-2004 at 07:12 PM.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:39 PM   #10
    jess301

jess301 HB User

yep, done it i even paid absurd amounts of money having the zone food delivered to my house--the program is cool, you get food delivered on dry ice once a week, food isn't frozen but vacuum sealed--BUT the food was pretty horrible and i didn't lose any weight. i am one of those weirdo's that do diets that work for EVERYONE else, but somehow not me. i even did southbeach where everyone i know lost 10 lbs within a few weeks, but me, nothing i have seen 3 different docs in the last 2 weeks and they have all thrown up their hands in disbelief. they are pretty sure its hormonal--i will be seeing an endrocronologist soon. hopefully they will figure something out..

Closed Thread