It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board

• Cough and other symptoms years after surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
    FCh500
    (female)

FCh500 HB User
    Cough and other symptoms years after surgery

I had a lap band fitted 4 years ago and have done OK, still eating too much choccy but overall better than without it.

However, over the last 6 months I have developed a cough which is worse at night and am also bringing up phlegm during the night. My GP gave me tablets to help with acid reflux but this has not really helped. It does seem to be getting worse and I am now having trouble getting any food down without vomiting although liquids are OK if I drink them slowly.

Has anyone had a problem like this and how was it resolved?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Cough and other symptoms years after surgery

You might have a stricture at top of stomach causing the food to not go down. The sphincter into the stomach can shrink down to 1/4 inch, letting only liquids through. The stricture is usually caused by acid reflux. You really need to see your GI Dr for a scope and stretching if you do have a stricture. Once the stricture is stretched open you are free of symptoms immediately. This is a common problem and can recur, so staying on an anti GERD medicine can help prevent the stricture from reforming. It is also important to have the scope to rule out other types of strictures in esophagus, such as tumors, which are less likely but can occur.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    FCh500 (09-11-2013)
    Old 09-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
    FCh500
    (female)

FCh500 HB User

Thank you for your reply, I will go and see my GP again. I did not think the band had slipped as I feel a blockage in the middle of my chest not in the stomach area. However, what is GERD?

Old 09-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It stands for gastro-esophageal reflux disorder, in which gastric acids flow upward into the esophagus, where they burn, cause ulcerations and scar tissue. It can be associated with a hiatal hernia too, where the upper stomach bulges up through the diaphragm. There are medications that can help, but if a stricture forms, it must be stretched out during a scope to relieve symptoms.

Closed Thread