It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss / Surgical Message Board

• I buried my son this week

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
    marcia46
    (female)

marcia46 HB User
    I buried my son this week

He was only 48 years old and the father of 13 and 18 year old sons. He died of septic shock when either adhesions or an internal hernia (they weren't sure which) cut off the blood supply of his small intestines and caused necrosis and put him in septic shock. He had been sick the week before, but that was nothing really unusual because he had been sick for the past 10 years. They did another scope a few days before he died and as usual, found nothing. He had roux en y surgery 12 years ago.

He did well the first 2 years...then it started going wrong. He had 3 major abdominal surgeries after the initial bypass and I can't even begin to count the numerous other procedures.

I will add more later, but I need to warn those of you that are contemplating this surgery to please don't do it. He just wanted to be healthy. Now he is dead. It can go very, very wrong and it is very hard to fix (if not impossible) once it does. I (and he) feel like the statistics for bad outcomes is way under reported. Please, please don't let them do to you what they did to him.

Last edited by marcia46; 01-05-2014 at 09:36 AM.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: marcia46
    gmak (01-08-2014),solofelix (01-05-2014),WhistleDixie (01-05-2014)
    The Following User Says Thank You to marcia46 For This Useful Post:
    gmak (01-08-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
    Re: I buried my son this week

Hi,

Please accept my deepest sympathy on the loss of your son.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to you at this time,

Solofelix.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

Marcia...I am heartbroken for your loss. I understand what your son went through far more than you know. I had gastric bypass in 1987. It changed the trajectory of my life...not in a positive way. I have not had a "well" day since. People ask "Well, you LOOK good, you lost the weight". Yes, and I've kept it off, but I've had no life. I don't mean to be insensitive on any level...but I've often wished I had just died on the operating table...today, 26+ years later.

Please know that it will "help" you to talk about your loss. I am here for you. Although I could never FEEL the devastating LOSS you are experiencing, as I was never able to conceive (bypass-related) I weep as I type this to you. Please feel my HUGS, and my prayers.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhistleDixie View Post
    Marcia...I am heartbroken for your loss. I understand what your son went through far more than you know. I had gastric bypass in 1987. It changed the trajectory of my life...not in a positive way. I have not had a "well" day since. People ask "Well, you LOOK good, you lost the weight". Yes, and I've kept it off, but I've had no life. I don't mean to be insensitive on any level...but I've often wished I had just died on the operating table...today, 26+ years later.

Please know that it will "help" you to talk about your loss. I am here for you. Although I could never FEEL the devastating LOSS you are experiencing, as I was never able to conceive (bypass-related) I weep as I type this to you. Please feel my HUGS, and my prayers.
    Dear Marcia, Your son would be so proud of you because you reached out & shared his story through your own personal grief to save others from this despair. A friend that grew up in India once told me that she was taught as a child that God made all people beautiful with different colors, sizes & shapes. It sounds very simple but if this thought dispelled the myth that everyone should be a size 2 & it saved people from body dysmorphia, anorexia, bulemia etc it is simple but far reaching with helping others. And so is your message & thank you for this enlightening post. I extend my deepest condolences & sympathy to your family & appreciate your sharing.

Closed Thread