It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• seeking suggestions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2015, 05:30 AM   #1
    Ryen4456
    (male)

Ryen4456 HB User
    seeking suggestions

Hi, names Rye.

I have been overweight since my mid 30's, I am 50 now. Beginning of the year I weighed 320lbs. I decided to do something about it but am not into exercise or gyms. So mid-April I decided to do something about my weight. I stopped drinking carbonated drinks. I cut out sugar completely. I started walking daily. And finally I lowered my calories to about 1200 a day. Now I am down to 240lbs, and have plateaued and not able to lose more. I figure it will just take time to start losing again.

My goals are to get down to about 200, although 180 would be nice. I continue to walk for an hour a day on my treadmill, continue my no soda, no sugar, 1200 calories. I wonder though if I should add some muscle work to my exercise though. As I said I do the one hour walk daily. It's a brisk walk on an incline and according to the monitor on the treadmill it is about 3.4 miles I walk and supposedly burn about 430 calories. I of course still have a fair bit of paunch.

I have heard that there is little point to working on abs or legs or anything until the weight is lost but am not sure if that is correct or not. I was thinking the extra exercise might start up the weight loss again. I have plateaued as I mentioned for about a month now. I am not worried really, I figure the weight loss will start up again at some point if I just keep on as I am. I am looking for suggestions for exercise as it pertains to building up muscle, abs, legs, butt, chest. Also suggestions for weighs to break the plateau and start the weight loss up again.

Thanks ahead of time for all suggestions and support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    re: seeking suggestions

Are you on a high protein diet? If so, that may be what's holding you back.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
    Ryen4456
    (male)

Ryen4456 HB User

To be honest I have no idea how much protein I am taking in. I am concentrating on keeping my calories to a certain level.

Breakfast is greek yogurt and muesli
    Lunch is cheese omelette
    Supper is a chicken sandwich

soooo...yeah that's probably a lot of protein then. So I should reduce the protein? And add what...carbs?

Old 12-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Muesli may not be the healthiest option unless you make it yourself and don't use any dried fruit or sugar. I think the money would be better spent on plain oatmeal. Steel cut oats is the best, in my opinion, if you have the time to cook it. I buy the quick-cook steel-cut oats that only takes 7 minutes. And I don't use milk, just water. I let it sit in the pan for five or more minutes after it's cooked. Then I add some chopped walnuts, about 1/8 of a cup. I have a bar of unsweetened baking chocolate and sometimes add about 1 teaspoon. Then it can be very lightly salted. Sometimes I add a quarter cup of frozen blueberries.

You wouldn't believe how big my breakfast is. I start with a small cereal bowl and fill it with (various) chopped fresh fruit. Then I fill a soup bowl with either salad and beans or cooked vegetables and beans. After that I eat the one serving of oatmeal that I just described above.

So my breakfast is very filling and satisfying but low in calories and high in fiber and nutrition. Fiber is very important and animal protein doesn't contain any fiber. Beans contain both protein and fiber. Start with a half cup of beans and see if that keeps you satisfied until your next meal time.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-06-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
    Ryen4456
    (male)

Ryen4456 HB User
    Re: seeking suggestions

I have recently started to lose again and am now down to 230. I have changed a couple of things.

Breakfast is still the greek yogurt and muesli. The muesli is pretty good and for 2/3 cup only has 3grams sugar. It is 70% oats and then the other 30% is dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds and almonds. I only put in 1/3 cup into my yogurt so that is only 1.5 grams of sugar and 110 calories. With the yogurt the whole meal is 330 calories.

Lunch is now long grain brown rice with veggies. 1/4 cup of dry rice makes a bit more than a half cup of rice. I add 1/2 cup of frozen veggies which has corn, peas, lima beans and green beans. I do add a bit of butter to it. The whole meal is 370 calories.

Supper is now either another bowl of rice and veggies or another bowl of yogurt and muesli. I have pretty much cut meat right out of my diet only because I have never really been a big meat eater.

For snacks, it is mixed raw nuts, walnuts, almonds and pumpkin seeds. Depending on the other meals during the day that allows me 130 to 170 calories for snacks and still keeping my calories to 1200 a day.

I am still walking but surprisingly have cut back on it a bit and that seems to have been what started my weight loss again....no idea why that would be. I didn't change my diet until after I had started losing again. Instead of an hour a day 5 days a week. I do about 45 minute 4 times a week.

The other change I made was in what I drink. I had already cut out carbonated drinks but was having a hard time finding something to take the place of them. I had gone to crystal light drink mixes but was not happy that I was still taking in aspartame. Eventually I found some really nice herbal teas with no sweeteners of any kind in them and started using stevia as a sweetener. I now drink the iced tea and am no longer taking in any artificial sweeteners that might be bad for me and taking in very very low amounts of sugar.

So for now I am losing again, cut my exercise back a bit but still doing well on that, changed my meals a bit to stuff that I enjoy and that fills me up and keeps my calorie count fairly low.

I am hopeful this will continue to help my weight loss. It is slower than it was before, but it is steady so that is a good sign.

Last edited by Ryen4456; 01-02-2016 at 07:17 PM.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Glad to hear that you have lost another 10 pounds and that you have given up eating meat. Let's see if it keeps working for you or if you will reach another plateau.

Hopefully, giving up meat means more fiber per day from natural whole foods(not fiber supplements). Daily fiber should be a minimum of about 25 to 30 grams.

I'm a vegan, so everything I eat contains fiber, protein and carbs. Fat comes from a few nuts with each meal. I never have to count calories, carbs, fat, protein or fiber. My BMI is about 18.5 and stays about the same, as long as I don't start eating highly processed foods.

As far as your walks, I bet you could do a half hour per day, 5 days a week and still be okay.

For good health and longevity, shoot for a low BMI. The closer to 18 the better, according to a large, well done study. But BMI is not the whole story. You need optimal nutrition from a wide variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, nuts and seeds. You already have some of these items in your diet but I think it would help to get more variety. For example, include some cruciferous vegetables and legumes.

I believe the healthier the diet, the more sustainable it will be in the long run.

Last edited by JohnR41; 01-05-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #7
    TinaO88
    (female)

TinaO88 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    Are you on a high protein diet? If so, that may be what's holding you back.

I'm shocked to read this. With all due respect, protein is very important for weight loss, especially because it builds muscle which will increase your metabolism.

Are you tracking your calories diligently? It seems that your intake is quite low. Along with a high protein diet, I would definitely incorporate resistance training at least 3x's/week, and would suggest using a high quality, natural fat burner to have more energy and to help boost your metabolism even more.

Last edited by TinaO88; 01-11-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #8
    Marv555
    (female)

Marv555 HB User

Hi I know about plateaus....go to aquacize once a week as they do a variety of e ercises and you can go at your own pace. ..do some of every exercise for the variety your body needs. The water is cooling and soothing and you hardly notice your getting a workout. Then along with that, do high intensity on your treadmill (every ten minutes increase speed for 1-2 minutes) Do this variable speed high intensity 5 times throughout the hour on the treadmill. In about three weeks, increase the number of "hits" by two or three to keep losing pounds. Three times throughout the day lift your arms up and down fast 20 times. ..or you can rotate them.

Closed Thread