It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• What are the negative effects of weight loss?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #1
    karth
    (male)

karth HB User
    What are the negative effects of weight loss?

People talk about weight loss and its positive effects but, internet also has a fair amount of information about the negative effects of weight loss. People who have taken fat burners which have had bad side effects and weight loss plans that destroyed their health altogether. I want to learn about how to
    escape the bad side effects and also about effective methods to weight loss without adverse effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: What are the negative effects of weight loss?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karth View Post
    People talk about weight loss and its positive effects but, internet also has a fair amount of information about the negative effects of weight loss. People who have taken fat burners which have had bad side effects and weight loss plans that destroyed their health altogether. I want to learn about how to
    escape the bad side effects and also about effective methods to weight loss without adverse effects.
    Good question. I have always thought that weight loss should be slow. But sometimes I feel as though I must be the only one who thinks that. Everyone seems to be in a big hurry to lose a lot of weight fast. Why is that? Is it because commercial weight loss plans always promise that you can lose a lot of weight fast, with little effort? Or is it because overweight people tend to be emotional and like to overdo everything, impulsively. Possibly it's a little of both.

My thinking is that if it is fast and easy, a person might not worry much about gaining the weight back. Why worry about gaining weight, if you can lose it again with little effort? But I think it might be harmful to keep gaining and losing lots of weight over one's lifetime.

Consider this: When a person gains weight the fat is stored as saturated fat regardless of what type of food was consumed. Lets assume, for example, that the person eats a lot of fat-free baked goods or low fat baked goods. And because they are consuming excess calories, it gets converted and stored as saturated fat. Or, let's say the food might contain mostly "good" fat. It doesn't matter because the excess calories will be stored as saturated fat.

Then what will happen if they succeed in finding a weight loss plan for losing a lot of weight fast? I hear testimonials on the radio all the time about people losing 5 or more pounds per week. In this example, if you lose 5 pounds of saturated fat per week, it's the same as if you had eaten five pounds of saturated fat in one week. Is that healthy? I don't think so.

How do you lose weight? How does the fat get burned? It has to go into your bloodstream and then gets distributed as food for your cells to burn. Well that's no different than what happens when you eat saturated fat. It goes into your bloodstream and then to your cells to be burned or stored.

Therefore, it's my opinion that the healthy way to lose weight is slowly. And once you lose the weight don't gain it back. Develop good long-term lifestyle habits.

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-16-2016 at 02:41 PM.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

That's a trick question I think you need to separate the weight loss from the method used to lose weight. For instance in weight loss with the use of fat burners, it's the fat burners that can be unsafe not the weight loss itself. Or fad diets that don't provide all the nutrients needed for good health.

If you're overweight there shouldn't be any negative effects of weight loss achieved through a sensible diet and an increase in activity. Like the other poster said, slow and steady weight loss wins the race.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
    Voxx976
    Veteran
    (male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User

The major negative side effect of weight loss is the decrease in the basal metabolism making weight control harder than it was the first time you were at your desirable weight.
    Fast weight loss or repeated weight loss both lower your metabolic rate makes weight control nearly impossible.

Last edited by Voxx976; 05-19-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Gaining and losing weight over and over is worse for you than just staying at same weight.

Never go below 1000 calories a day and always drink plenty of water.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
    JudyLady
    (female)

JudyLady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karth View Post
    How you lose the weight is the difference. Avoid gimmick diets and weight loss pills. The equation is eat fewer calories and exercise 4-5 days a week leads to weight loss.

Two recent experiments from the scientific community. Take them as you will. One, people who are slightly overweight live longer than those within the "correct" weight range. This is because they have the ability to regain weight losing it after a medical issue occurs. Obesity will still cut your life span because there is too much weight on your joints making it painful to move at a certain age. Lack of movement is a killer. Two, a group of people picked 12 hours a day to eat. They ate only within those 12 hours. They lost weight. I think the point is that we graze all the time. That means cutting back on the hours of grazing leads to weight loss.

Two things from my experience. One, walking is good exercise, it's easy and doesn't cost you anything. Therefore, you are more likely to do it and keep doing it after you establish it as a habit. Two, give yourself a break. Some days are going to be more difficult than others. If you fall off the wagon, forgive yourself and start new the next day.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:14 AM   #7
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Most of those quick burners you lose water weight and you tend to gain it back quickly.

Best to lose weight slowly and you have better chance of keeping it off.

Closed Thread