It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Newbie - Voracious Appetite

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #1
    12Rosie
    (female)

12Rosie HB User
    Newbie - Voracious Appetite

Hi Everyone, first day here and glad I found you.
    My weight gain occurred from menopause and I never really got over the shock. I always had a voracious appetite but had the metabolism to burn it until around age 49. Within 4 years of meno I gained 40 lbs. It seemed too overwhelming and I felt powerless to do much about it. So years later I'm finally sick of it and willing to make some changes but I'm stuck with the constant need to eat which I've seen some on the board talk about which was a relief. However when I see some talk about things like carrot sticks I get really angry. I have to come up with more satisfying solutions than raw carrot and celery sticks or all is lost. Would appreciate others thoughts/suggestions on the constant desire to eat something and what you've done about it.

The following user gives a hug of support to 12Rosie:
    movielover40 (08-11-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Newbie - Voracious Appetite

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 12Rosie View Post
    However when I see some talk about things like carrot sticks I get really angry. I have to come up with more satisfying solutions than raw carrot and celery sticks or all is lost.
    Here's an idea: Make a list of all the healthy (low calorie) foods that you like.

Then make a list of all the unhealthy (high calorie) foods that you think caused you to gain weight.

Last edited by JohnR41; 08-10-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

There are a lot of low calorie foods that you could eat besides carrot sticks.

Pickles are low in calories. Try some different flavors.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #4
    Candi4190
    (female)

Candi4190 HB User

The only reliable way I have found to cure the hungries is to significantly increase my protein consumption throughout the day. It keeps my blood sugar steady, keeps me full, and takes away the cravings for sweets and carbs. I also recommend that you start (or increase) your weightlifting program to boost your metabolism. If you eat enough protein, the added resistance training will not make you hungry. When I say high protein, I mean 75 to 100 grams of protein a day. Breakfast can be 3 eggs plus chicken or turkey sausage or tofu, with cheese added if your body tolerates it. Lunch should be lots of vegetables and a large helping of protein, such as half a small chicken. Sometimes you actually have to force yourself to eat it all, and if you do, you will not be hungry later. Dinner should be a huge piece of fish or steak and more veggies. Even your snacks need to be high protein (e.g. edamame). Watch out for nuts. They are healthy but very caloric. If you do all this, you will solve your hunger problem. I am post-menopausal and in great shape (finally) due to protein and weightlifting. Be sure to drink lots of water to offset a high protein diet, to protect your kidneys from strain. Good luck!!

Closed Thread