It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• What is wrong with me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
    Happygirlcarol
    (female)

Happygirlcarol HB User
    Unhappy What is wrong with me?

Help. I am a 57 year old (as of today) female. I am 5'4.5" and stay between 139-142. At age 40 I went through early menopause and began gaining weight. I reached 160 lbs. (Prior to that I had always been in the 125 range). I dieted, but did not work out and after 16 years, finally reached my current weight range. I want to be fitter, slimmer and healthier, not least because I am now raising my 4 year old grandson.
    Nine weeks ago I bought a Fitbit. Since then I have been walking, cycling and lifting weights; I have a workout partner to keep it fun and get tips from the employees at the gym. I am burning a little over 2000 calories per day. My caloric intake doesn't exceed 1200 calories per day. Breakfast: egg. Lunch and dinner: chicken or seafood and lots of fresh veggies. Snacks: almonds, fruit, or avocados. I do not consume bread, rice, potatoes or pasta; nor do I consume sweets. I don't drink milk, caffeine or diet drinks. I never eat past 6pm, I drink 12 8oz glasses of water everyday and get 8 hours of sleep every night.
    After nine weeks, although I do have more energy, my weight has stayed the same and my measurements (bust, waist, hips, thighs and upper arms) are also the same. I am not any more muscular and am still carrying a lot of extra "softness" in my midsection. I don't know what else to do. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
    Operaghost
    (female)

Operaghost HB User
    Re: What is wrong with me?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Happygirlcarol View Post
    Help. I am a 57 year old (as of today) female. I am 5'4.5" and stay between 139-142. At age 40 I went through early menopause and began gaining weight. I reached 160 lbs. (Prior to that I had always been in the 125 range). I dieted, but did not work out and after 16 years, finally reached my current weight range. I want to be fitter, slimmer and healthier, not least because I am now raising my 4 year old grandson.
    Nine weeks ago I bought a Fitbit. Since then I have been walking, cycling and lifting weights; I have a workout partner to keep it fun and get tips from the employees at the gym. I am burning a little over 2000 calories per day. My caloric intake doesn't exceed 1200 calories per day. Breakfast: egg. Lunch and dinner: chicken or seafood and lots of fresh veggies. Snacks: almonds, fruit, or avocados. I do not consume bread, rice, potatoes or pasta; nor do I consume sweets. I don't drink milk, caffeine or diet drinks. I never eat past 6pm, I drink 12 8oz glasses of water everyday and get 8 hours of sleep every night.
    After nine weeks, although I do have more energy, my weight has stayed the same and my measurements (bust, waist, hips, thighs and upper arms) are also the same. I am not any more muscular and am still carrying a lot of extra "softness" in my midsection. I don't know what else to do. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    You may have reached a weight loss plateau.

As you lose weight, you lose some muscle along with fat. Muscle helps keep the rate at which you burn calories (metabolism) up. So as you lose weight, your metabolism declines, causing you to burn fewer calories than you did at your heavier weight.

Your slower metabolism will slow your weight loss, even if you eat the same number of calories that helped you lose weight. When the calories you burn equal the calories you eat, you reach a plateau.

To lose more weight, you need to either increase your physical activity or decrease the calories you eat. Using the same approach that worked initially may maintain your weight loss, but it won't lead to more weight loss.

Last edited by Operaghost; 11-04-2016 at 06:52 PM.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: What is wrong with me?

Carol, it just might be thyroid related. You certainly sound as if you are doing everything you can. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Closed Thread

Tags
    calories, not losing weight