It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Advice for weight loss?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
    youngandtrying
    (female)

youngandtrying HB User
    Question Advice for weight loss?

Hi everyone, here's the deal:

I am 20 years old.
    5'6.5 and 184lbs.
    aka. overweight for my height and definitely at my age.

I have tried to lose weight several times but I'm not great at maintaining the work and I know I need to change. It's come to the point where I hate mirrors and bury my head in the sand when my family expresses their concern. My mother is legitimately concerned and every thing she says, actually, makes me angry because I'm not an idiot...I know this is a problem.

I think (98% sure) I am depressed but I have never been to therapy. I know that this could be seen as a cop out but I'm just trying to give some context. I definitely have feelings of worthlessness and ugliness which can often lead to my overeating as well as a poor attitude surrounding dieting and working out.

I promise I am trying to be better, think better, and act better but obviously, it's not easy. I would never be on a forum like this if I wasn't in a position that made me consider that I need to work on myself more seriously.

Anyways, I was wondering if any one had ideas of how to lose weight healthily, steadily, and realistically which may also help in my mental/emotional state?

I think I need to really find ways of helping myself that are not limited to just one piece of well-being but more holistically. I often overthink and get wrapped up in my thoughts and I need to be able to break out of my head and really work on my body and mind.

Thank you for any help and I hope I don't get negative feedback saying that I just need to workout and stop complaining. I am trying to come to a turning point and that should be positive. So please only positive vibes and real advice if possible.

The following user gives a hug of support to youngandtrying:
    movielover40 (03-09-2017)
    The Following User Says Thank You to youngandtrying For This Useful Post:
    klutz1345935 (04-16-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Advice for weight loss?

Hi there. I read your post and thought about a woman I know who appears to be in a similar situation. I actually think she is one of the bravest people I know!
    She confided in me that she was feeling both anxious and depressed about her weight. She had recently lost a relationship and blamed her physical appearance on this. She asked for my advice.

I started taking her to the gym with me. Trust me, she was terrified to go; but I introduced her to a trainer at my gym and turned her loose. We do not work out together, as she could never attempt my level of fitness; but she has met me in the locker room several times and told me that she loves being able to get some exercise and she is seeing the weight loss. WIth this, is a new confidence and I can tell she is feeling better.

You are looking for a holistic way to get healthy; both emotional and physical. I truly believe that you need to be around other people who are doing the same thing. Not every gym is for "gym rats" or "gym bunnies"! You can join a gym for 10$ a month and work with one of the free trainers and get some sort of schedule going- where you know what you are doing and doing it safely! With the weight loss comes the physical activity which is SO GOOD for your mind! You'll start to sleep better and feel better about yourself and before you know it, some of your feelings of depression will lift.

If this sounds like it is too much to attempt, than my second suggestion would be to join a weight loss center where there are group meetings and food plans which you follow. At these type of places, you will work one on one with a support system and also with a group of people trying to accomplish the same goals. You need a support system and apparently your mom is hindering you feeling positive about this. Dont be afraid to ask for help with your goals! Admitting you need help , which is the first thing you have already done, is the first step....the harder part is actually doing something about it.

I wish you luck and really hope you will step out of your comfort zone to attempt to do something positive for yourself. You are young enough that changing your daily habits will increase your overall health for the rest of your life. Best of luck to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    klutz1345935 (04-16-2017)
    Old 03-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
    Andre624
    (male)

Andre624 HB User

Hello youngandtrying, One thing that really helped me to begin getting healthy and losing weight was finding healthy substitutes for unhealthy foods that are difficult to give up.

Last edited by Andre624; 03-09-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Start out slowly doing some yoga and walking.

Also have your thyroid and hormone levels checked to make sure everything is working right in your body.

Based on your age you should be able to get fit fast.

Best of luck to you... Keep us updated... Not sure where you live but spring and summer are coming up... Perfect time to get in shape.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
    Boozjee
    (female)

Boozjee HB User

Please bear with me as it's sometimes difficult for me to put words to print. Even if you don't have a workout buddy, exercise has a way of lifting our mood. I do some yoga and some P90X (yuk) but the most enjoyment I get is from jogging/walking the trails around here. I like the alone time.

As for diet. That's actually the easy part and I speak from experience. Most diets recommend cutting fat but we've seen over the decades just how well that has worked. We now have an epidemic of obesity in this country. No low fat diet ever worked for me long term because it made me feel like I was starving! I would lose 5-10 pounds then cave in to food temptations. I started out at around 170 pounds, took a weight training class at college and by the end of the semester, gained another 5 lbs. I'm sure it was muscle. But the problem was I still had lots of fat (covering all that nice muscle). I did not want to do the Atkins diet even though my husband had lost 40 lbs on it and claimed he wasn't hungry. Then I started researching about diets and learned that eating low carbohydrate foods, a "moderate" amount of protein, and LOTS of fat, is actually a healthy way to lose weight. Similar to the Atkins diet (but not quite), but it's also called low-carb or keto.

My research led me to read case studies and clinical trials for diets for diabetics and obese patients. Once I learned what foods were low carb, and which ones to avoid, the weight began to come off to the tune of about 2 lbs per week in the beginning. And no hunger pangs. Once I started getting to my goal weight, the weight loss slowed down. It was/is the easiest diet I've ever been on, and it's not just a diet, it's a lifestyle that works. Whatever diet you choose to lose weight, I would urge you to research it. Not on sites that often dole out bad information, but actual medical teaching sites. Just go to google scholar and type in some search terms like low carbohydrate diet. You might only get a summary of the results, but sometimes they provide a full article. If you find one article too technical to read, just go on to another one. You'll be able to understand enough to set you on the right track. One other thing to mention. Do not get the terms ketosis and ketoacidosis confused. They are very different things. I know this was long but I sincerely hope it will help.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-12-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:46 AM   #6
    52ken
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

Everything you eat has calories and to lose weight eat less calories. Do not cheat on portion sizes and write everything down and this will work. You want to be healthy and keep your weight down so maybe keep the calories set at no more than 1800 a day. Don't eat junk foods and cut down on sugar. Slow and steady wins the race and continue to watch the calories. In my opinion,exercise helps but not as much as a lot of people think but it is good for your body.

Last edited by 52ken; 06-11-2017 at 04:48 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    depression, exercise, nutrition, weight, young