It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• No sugar, no flour, no weight loss

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
    Laloosh4949
    (female)

Laloosh4949 HB User
    No sugar, no flour, no weight loss

New to this, so here I go. I'm pre-diabetetic and overweight. 5'11", 230lbs female, 54. I have given up the "white powders" - no sugar, no flour. Barely eating fruit - maybe 2ounces of homemade applesauce. Otherwise I eat vegetables and protein (grass fed beef, chicken, eggs, shrimp), no other dairy, only use olive oil as salad dressing, coconut oil to cook with (sometimes ghee), my doctor said to keep my calories to 1200 a day to lose weight and I walk 30 minutes a day. I'm going on almost a month of this and have not lost a pound. Nada. Zilch. Turn out the lights, the party's over nothing. I haven't noticed any difference in how my clothes fit either as I've been told that you lose inches sometimes before losing pounds. This is beyond frustrating and I wonder if anyone has gone through this as well. I was thinking of seeing a food allergist to see if I'm reacting to something I'm eating, but I don't know. Of course the upside is that I feel better, but I have to lose this weight as it is too much to carry around. Thank you for any advice. Much appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2017, 03:38 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: No sugar, no flour, no weight loss

Are you aware that shrimp and coconut oil are LOADED with fat and calories?
    How much olive oil are you using, as it is also fat laden, even if it is a "good fat"? When I do salad, I use vinegar, no oils, to cut calories...

30 minutes of walking is really not much exercise. It is what the experts consider the bare minimum...have you tried walking UP hill- or with weights on your legs/ or back or even holding them in your hands to burn more calories? How about aerobic exercise? Something to get your heart pumping and increase the burn? Jumping jacks? Burpees or even running/ jogging for minutes at a time in between your walk can speed up your metabolism.

You are off to a good start, but honestly, I think you need some help in the nutrition department as well as the exercise department. Have you conisdered finding a nutritionist or health coach to help you set up a program to get you started? It might help to have an expert start you offf...you dont have to continue with them ( I realize it can be costly) but to get you started on a good exercise and nutrition program it might be worth it.

Best of luck to you. Keep it up and dont give up, but you really need to eliminate the coconut oil and the shrimp and increase your exercise to see anything happen...

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2017, 06:02 AM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Laloosh,

Good for you that you gave up the white powders! You're off to a great start! May I suggest that you use only cold-pressed olive oil? Heat processed oil is not healthy and it quickly becomes rancid. It is not metabolized the same as cold pressed oils. We do need healthy oils to assimilate some nutrients. Cold-pressed olive oil never has to be refrigerated. Some of the healthy foods are expensive but I find them sold even in discount food stores, these days.

In my opinion, shrimp is very healthy protein, providing important nutrients when streamed or sauteed in a minimum of healthy oil. One medium shrimp is only about 7 calories. Fish oils are healthy, digestible oils, unlike the hard fats found in some cuts of meat. Make sure that you choose lean, low fat cuts of beef and pork. And skinless white cuts of poultry (breast meat) is good.

Cold pressed olive oil is very healthy oil. It does not turn rancid and there is no need to refrigerate it. I leave it on the table and use it for cooking and as salad dressing. One teaspoon is a serving, so you don't want to be liberal with oils. Use all you like of vinegars and herbs for flavor.

Be mindful that for the body to burn a teaspoon of fat requires 36 minutes of walking. Regardless how much we eat, if we are not exercising, any food can be stored as fat. So, to lose body fat, you must be active. We don't need to do crazy work-outs. But building muscle tone is most helpful, as muscle use is what burns the body fat.

We can diet all we want and not lose fat if we are not physically active. When you walk you can carry hand held weights and exaggerate arm movements a little. It doesn't take much to get the heart pumping. I am physically crippled, so I am limited in what I can do, but if you can walk around the block or build up to that, it will increase your metabolism and burn your excess body fat. My 6' daughter likes doing martial arts. It's a great way to build muscle tone and do aerobic exercise at the same time.

In my opinion, fresh home made applesauce is not a problem as long as you don't add any sugar. Try using a sprinkle of pure cinnamon on it. I like a little nutmeg. A small bowl of rolled or cut oats with a teaspoon of pure maple syrup or sprinkle of cinnamon is a nutritious occasional breakfast or sweet treat. Mostly I eat 2 boiled eggs for breakfast and I'm good to go. Use a little real butter if you use any, and never ever use margarine or fake 'butters'. Margarine is not even digestible.

Eat a enough protein daily, and eat a large variety of fruits and vegetables, and don't over cook them so as to retain the fiber and nutritional value. If we make healthy changes we can eat all we want and be satisfied, and still lose that excess body fat. Please let us know how you are doing.

Last edited by yayagirl; 08-29-2017 at 07:06 AM.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Laloosh4949 View Post
    I have given up the "white powders" - no sugar, no flour.
    What are you using in place of flour. No whole grains?

Quote:
    Barely eating fruit - maybe 2ounces of homemade applesauce.
    Low sugar fruit is okay in moderation, like three servings per day. Does homemade applesauce mean that you throw the peal away? That's the best part of the apple as far as nutrition goes.

Quote:
    Otherwise I eat vegetables and protein (grass fed beef, chicken, eggs, shrimp), no other dairy,....
    How many servings of vegetables per day? How much protein?

Quote:
    .... my doctor said to keep my calories to 1200 a day to lose weight....
    I get the impression you're on a high protein low fiber diet and that's the reason you're not making progress.

As you can see, your doctor didn't tell you the whole story. There's more to losing weight than just lowering calories. He should also have instructed you to increase your consumption of high fiber whole-foods such as non-sweet fruits(3 servings per day), non-starchy fresh-vegetables (unlimited servings per day), legumes (3 servings), whole intact grains (1 serving per meal), nuts and seeds in limited amounts partly replacing oils.

Your fiber consumption, from the above mentioned foods, should be somewhere between 25 and 30 grams per day. Increase slowly.

Last edited by JohnR41; 08-30-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Reply Reply