It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Weight Gain during diet?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #1
    Kat C
    (female)

Kat C HB User
    Weight Gain during diet?

I have been trying to lose weight the last 4 years. I started out at 425 4 years ago. I lost 125 pounds during that year. I am now at 312 pounds as I went through something a year ago and gained pounds back. I want to get to my goal weight of 200 by this time next year. My husband has been supportive and bought me a exercise bike. When I restarted two weeks ago the first thing I did was get off soda completely and cut all trans fat out of my life. I am keeping a detailed diary of what I am eating. I eat mostly protein then good carbs and then some fat. I know protein is the most important for losing weight. I am on the bike for 1 hour a day in 15 minute increments and I also do 40 reps with 5 pound dumbells after the bike. When I initially started two weeks ago I lost 10 pounds literally in 9 days. I weight myself every morning before my shower. However, the last two days it went from not losing anything to today I had gained a pound. It was kind of demotivating. Am I doing something wrong? Could this be muscle gain? Is this normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Weight Gain during diet?

When did you start eating mostly protein? What type of protein do you eat and how much of each type? How do you cook the protein, fried, boiled or steamed? When it comes to dieting, details are important.

Good carbs: What does that consist of? Whole grains? Leafy greens? Potatoes? Other? How many servings of whole grain? How many servings of healthful non-starchy vegetables?

Fat: How much fat? What type of fats?

Eating mostly protein may help you lose weight in the short run but it's not a healthy diet for the long run. And if your diet is not healthy, the desired results may not last. It's due to fail at some point, in my opinion.

You need to meet your daily protein requirement with the least amount of protein and the same goes for fat.

Whole grains: About one serving with each meal.

Healthful non-starchy vegetables: This is what you should eat the most of. Fill up by eating lots of vegetables of all kinds - a wide variety of healthful vegetables .

Let's not forget to include some legumes: Beans, lentils, split pea soup. etc.

A truly healthy diet should contain at least 25 grams of fiber per day, which you will not get by eating mostly animal protein. So try to get some of your protein from legumes instead of animal protein 3 times a day. It's easy to meet your daily requirement for protein because all vegetables and whole grains contain protein. And it all adds up.

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-30-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi Kat Cantrell!

If you don't mind me asking... how many meals do you eat each day? About how many calories per meal (average)? About how many calories do you eat in total each day? Do you have any feel for the percentages of proteins, carbs and fats in your diet?

I realize that these are not easy questions to answer, so just ignore my post if you don't know.

Regards, Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 04-30-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
    Kat C
    (female)

Kat C HB User

To answer both of you at once this is my daily food diet:

Morning: Protein shake: Gold Standard 1 scoop chocolate, 1 cup of almond milk (I do not drink cow milk)

Morning snack: Nature box 1 ounce beef jerky
    Nature Box 1 dried pineapple (serving is 4)

Lunch: Either Tuna fish with lettuce and tomatoes or Lean turkey with lettuce and tomatoes

Afternoon snack: Gold standard 1 scoop chocolate shake, 1 cup of almond milk
    I will usually have more vegetables at this time and a yogurt dannon fit and light. Sometimes I will have a half of bag of skinny pop.

Dinner: 97% fat turkey ground beef or skinless chicken breast with vegetables. This is usually grilled or put in a crock-pot. I do not fry anything anymore.

Sometimes if i am still hungry I will have 1 more yogurt. But I make sure its two hours before bed and before I exercise.

Thank you!

Old 04-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
    Kat C
    (female)

Kat C HB User

Machaon

I eat about 1000-1200 a day in calories...

Old 05-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

1000-1200 a day in calories! Wow! That's not much. I am 74 and eat about 1500 calories a day separated into six meals, or every 2 hours.

I used to have very high, dangerous blood pressure. I was moderately overweight at 180 pounds. I wanted to improve my diet and lose some weight. I wanted to cut calories, but at the same time I wanted to eat at least 1200 calories per day to maintain my metabolism.

I have heart failure. I decided to eat six small, low calorie, balanced meals, which would limit the load on my weakened heart. To my surprise, my health got a lot better, my blood pressure got a lot healthier and I quickly went from 180 pounds to 130. Eating every 2 hours makes it easier to diet because it seems like I am eating all the time!

I am retired, so eating six times a day is kinda easy and enjoyable. But, to those still working, I would imagine it would be difficult!

I do want to congratulate you for your determination and effort! 1100-1200 calories per day is very difficult and takes considerable will-power!

Best of luck and health, Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:52 AM   #7
    52ken
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

Your weight changes all the time even when you are watching calories. It is best to weigh same time, once a week. If you do want to weigh everyday then take an average of the 7 days to get a more accurate weight. Your weight can be up or down up to 2 pounds on any given day. Good luck and keep up the good work!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to 52ken For This Useful Post:
    Kat C (05-04-2018)
    Old 05-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kat C View Post
    To answer both of you at once this is my daily food diet:

Morning: Protein shake: Gold Standard 1 scoop chocolate, 1 cup of almond milk (I do not drink cow milk)
    Protein shakes are not real food and usually contain a lot of additives like sugar and other sweeteners. Almond milk usually contains some form of sugar/sweetener too. It's a processed food, not real food like eating almonds.

Quote:
    Morning snack: Nature box 1 ounce beef jerky
    Nature Box 1 dried pineapple (serving is 4)
    Beef jerky is a salty processed food and dried fruit is not recommended.

Quote:
    Lunch: Either Tuna fish with lettuce and tomatoes or Lean turkey with lettuce and tomatoes[
    Iceberg lettuce and tomatoes? That's it? Not much of a variety.

Quote:
    Afternoon snack: Gold standard 1 scoop chocolate shake, 1 cup of almond milk
    I will usually have more vegetables at this time and a yogurt dannon fit and light. Sometimes I will have a half of bag of skinny pop.
    What kind of vegetables? If you don't like vegetables and don't eat a wide variety, the diet may not work long term.

Quote:
    Dinner: 97% fat turkey ground beef or skinless chicken breast with vegetables. This is usually grilled or put in a crock-pot. I do not fry anything anymore.
    You mean 97% fat free? The all important thing is: How much meat by weight and how many servings of vegetables? And what kind of vegetables?

Quote:
    Sometimes if i am still hungry I will have 1 more yogurt. But I make sure its two hours before bed and before I exercise.
    Is this a small 6 oz cup?

I noticed that you don't eat any whole grain. Why? How will you get enough fiber (and many other important nutrients) in your diet? Fiber feeds the microbes (micro flora) in your gut and this is what regulates your immune system.

I also noticed you don't eat any natural whole fruit. Fruit contains fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Protein powder may contain vitamin and mineral supplements but it's a poor substitute for real whole food.

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-02-2018 at 02:17 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
    Kat C (05-04-2018),Machaon (05-02-2018)
    Old 05-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #9
    Kat C
    (female)

Kat C HB User

I eat lots of veggies. Carrots, lettuce, cucumbers, ect I take a bag to work.

The protein shake was recommended by my doctor because I have cyclic neutropenia and get sick with some food. Thanks for your assessment. You are a really nice person and such a awesome helper.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:40 AM   #10
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

When you first start dieting, your body loses mostly Water weight...its not unusual for you to lose the most amount of weight in the first 10 days because it really is water, which weighs allot.

You also have to keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat...so if you are building any muscle, you could actually gain a pound here and there. I am working out like a fiend right now and have gained 4 pounds; however, my body looks better! I have tone and definition, where before I was "loose".

Stay with it. I know it can be demotivating as you said...but if you are really trying and it sounds like you are, the results WILL COME!

Good luck and congratulations on losing as much as you have so far!

Old 06-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #11
    DSt
    (male)

DSt HB User

There are many things you can change to see results:

First of all, fats are not bad unless it is transfats or fried things. Fat actually helps keep you full and helps stabilize your blood sugar. Use a good mix of proteins and fats and only have smaller amounts of carbs.
    Avoid all low fat products, all products using artificial sweeteners. In fact one of the worst things is sugar and they add that when removing fat.
    Get good exercise - both cardio and high intensity.
    Cut out all sugar, sweets (and sugar substitutes). For me this was difficult at first, I actually had to start using organic chromium yeast to get control of my blood sugar fluctuations.
    Keep in mind that muscles weigh more than fat, so as you start exercising, your weight might stay around the same for a while, but you could be toning tremendously. Also, the more muscle mass you have, the more fat you burn.
    Lastly, you might consider getting your thyroid/adrenals checked and you could also get a hear mineral analysis to check on heavy metal levels. I had higher levels of mercury, but I was able to detox with an organic selenium yeast.
    When you take vitamins, don't cut corners and buy the cheap products, you literally end up peeing it out because your body can't use synthetic and inorganic products. Good luck on your journey - you can do whatever you set you mind to

Old 01-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #12
    motloutsim
    (male)

motloutsim HB User

I think gaining a pound here and there during dieting is normal for me. What i concentrate on is consistency and patience. do not rush to see results cos it might demotivates you. i usually weigh myself twice a week on Monday's and Friday's. then i keep record. this works for me pretty well.

Old 10-08-2020, 05:56 AM   #13
    Bakagan
    (male)

Bakagan HB User

If you eliminate any elements, you blood sugar levels will change and start to use muscle for energy and hence you can start to lose the weight easily. Such as what is done with Keto. When you regain the weight, you can potentially end up bigger than you were before https://femadata.com/blood-balance-reviews-scam-or-not/ , as the weight that will return to your body will be fat and fat is 3 times the size of muscle.

Look to create a healthy lifestyle and one that is sustainable. Eating a balance of pfc every 3 will balance your blood sugar levels and burn fat, having you not only looking fantastic, but feeling fantastic too!

Reply Reply