It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Scale shows weight loss - But I can't see it

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-06-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
    rinnylon
    (female)

rinnylon HB Userrinnylon HB User
    Scale shows weight loss - But I can't see it

I have been trying to lose weight for about 4/5 months. Nothing too drastic, but limiting my portions, however Iím still allowing myself to eat treats in moderation, limited sugar, bread once a week, pasta once every two weeks.

Since I have started about 5 months ago I have lost about 15 pounds. However I do not see a difference what so ever. My clothes still fit the same way and no one has really noticed a difference, still wearing the same jeans. Could I just be bloated and not notice the loss? Or do I need to lose 20 or more to notice? I was 175, now 160. I have also been working on strength training of my core so that hopefully I notice more of a difference. (Also I have lost 4% of my body fat) What else should I be trying? It would be nice to see a difference in my stomach and see clothes fit differently.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Scale shows weight loss - But I can't see it

Dear rinnylon,

Good for you! Congratulations!

Muscle weighs more than fat. It also burns fat. Muscle tone also holds the body in shape.

Don't be discouraged. Everyone's body responds differently. I think in another month or two you will begin to notice the change in your looks and how your clothes feel. To deal directly with the belly fat, make sure to build your abdominal muscles.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

When you lose weight, the first 10% is all water weight. Even if you didn't feel bloated, your body is still losing the extra water which is held in your fat cells.

On top of that working out can cause you to strengthen your muscles; which is the goal- but muscle weighs more than fat...thus, you sometimes gain when you do weight bearing or weight strengthening exercises.

Congratulations on losing as much as you have! Keep doing what you are doing and talk to your trainer about the areas you want to see a difference. Squats for the rear end and back of thighs, leg lifts for the inside and outside of thighs, arm exercises to lose that underarm area..whatever area you are targeting, there is an exercise for it! Talk to someone who can walk you through how to safely do the exercises so that you do not hurt yourself.

Congrats again!

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    rinnylon (06-07-2018)
    Old 06-09-2018, 07:36 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Rinnylon,

When people gain weight, they often gain it on their stomach first or maybe lower. In other words, it starts low and works its way up. Then when they try to lose weight, it's just the opposite. Weight loss seems to start at the top and works its way down.

So, for most people, they lose weight on their face first, then upper body etc..
    So if you're judging by your waist measurement, that may come later. That's lower on the list and requires patience; don't get discouraged.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-09-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Reply Reply