It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Reduced Sodium Diet Side Effects

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
    boomerx1
    (male)

boomerx1 HB User
    Reduced Sodium Diet Side Effects

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question.

I have a considerable amount of weight to lose. I'm a type II diabetic with high blood pressure. I started a supervised eating plan yesterday (8/31/18). Keeping my total sodium intake to no more than 1500 grams is part of the plan. I'm sticking to the eating plan, but today I've been urinating non-stop. I'm not drinking any more water than I normally do (8-10 cups a day), but it doesn't matter. It's almost comical because I know my bladder isn't full. The water has to be coming from somewhere. The only thing I can think of is that my body is expelling retained water because of the drop in my sodium level. If that's the case then eventually the excessive urination should stop once my body reaches normal sodium levels.

Am I on the right track with my thought process? If it continues through the weekend I'll reach out to my doctor on Tuesday.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Reduced Sodium Diet Side Effects

How do you know how much salt you're getting each day?

You say you're not drinking any more water than usual. But are you doing anything different, like eating watermelon? Drinking tea or coffee? Soup?
    Juicy salads with lots of lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers etc?

Everyone is different so you just have to figure out if something you're eating or drinking is stimulating your bladder. If I drank 8 -10 cups of water per day, I would need a life-raft. I'd be running to empty my bladder every half hour. Are you sure you need that much water? Could it be that less sodium calls for drinking less water?

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
    boomerx1 (09-02-2018)
    Old 09-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
    boomerx1
    (male)

boomerx1 HB User
    Re: Reduced Sodium Diet Side Effects

John, thanks for your reply.

I've been drinking 8-10 cups of water a day for years and my body handles it well.

I know how much sodium I ate today because I entered everything I ate on a program that calculates the sodium content. I also read food labels to check for hidden sodium. Actually, while 1500 mg is my goal, my nutritionist said I should be fine up to 2300 mg. Because some foods have hidden sodium, an 800 mg buffer will help me stay on track.

But to answer your questions, no leafy vegetables, watermelon, or any other food with a high water content was part of my diet today.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-01-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Reply Reply