It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• 1200 calories - Will it make me Gain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2003, 10:43 PM   #1
    jessiesgirl

jessiesgirl HB User
    Post 1200 calories - Will it make me Gain?

Hi everyone. For the past year, or year and a half, I have been eating very unhealthily. I wanted to lose weight and lose it fast, so I bascially starved myself. I did lose wweight, however now I am having many problems. For such a long time I ate under 1,000 calories a day. I thought that 800 was too much. Over time it has taken a toll on my body, I have become anemic and have started to lose my hair and started getting acne. I weight 144 pounds (I'm about 5'1")right now and would like to get down to around 120 but I no longer want to be a slave to 500-800 calories a day. I want to do it healthily because I want my health back. I want to eat 1200 a day now, but I'm afraid it'll make me gain weight. Will it? I'm so used to barely eating that whenever I eat more than usual I gain weight fast (but what I mean by "eating more than usual" is eating ALOT, I go overboard, like binging. so I can see why I gain weight fast).

Will those extra caloies be stored as fat? My body is not used to getting that much food, I'm afraid that it'll start to store it as fat. For the past week I have been wanting to eat more, starting at 1,000 (and slowly work up to 1,200), but I can never do it! Everyday I get too scared to go over 900. Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?!?!?

Thanks,
    jessie's girl.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2003, 11:35 AM   #2
    hello123

hello123 HB User
    Ah..yes its the whole mentality thing

IMO i think u need to eat MORE then 1200 to be healthy..it might be a shock for you to eat 'so much' on a typical day since ur so used to eating little, but i think 1200calories is the bare minimum your body needs to function. So..1300calories i guess?

i am like that too, either i am on track or i go overboard exactly like you. it's horrible, i can't even make myself eat a normal meal like everyone else anymore...but its all part of the mentality...Ahhh!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
    ramsemonius

ramsemonius HB User
    In my opinion, if you are counting calories in an attempt to get in better shape, you are doing the wrong thing. If you want to shape up, all you need to do (just my opinon), is to eat the right foods and exercise more. If you are interested in changing your way of thinking, let me know. You might start by listing the foods that you typically eat. I would be happy to provide more feedback. Take care,

Ramsemonius.

Old 04-11-2003, 01:11 PM   #4
    xloptuny

xloptuny HB User
    The best way to lose weight is to start a weight lifting program. Building lean muscle will allow you to burn calories all day long. If you're not eating enough calories, your body will turn on your muscle while sparing the fat, making starvation diets extremely counterproductive.

To maintain your weight, you should be consuming at least 1800 calories(assuming you do nothing at all, all day long).
    [url="http://healthfitness.com.au/calculators/daily_calories_female.htm#"]http://healthfitness.com.au/calculators/daily_calories_female.htm#[/url]

Start eating right, your body will feel so much better.

Old 04-11-2003, 01:59 PM   #5
    shelovestoski

shelovestoski HB User
    It's all about the exercise. TO lose weight you need to burn fat. Your body can learn to live off of almost nothing, but that just isn't healthy and, as you have seen, screws up your metabolism. Eat over 1,200 calories a day and EXERCISE to lose weight.

Old 04-11-2003, 03:22 PM   #6
    DonutsNCoffee
    Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
    I disagree with just about all the advice given so far in this thread.

First, weight lifting is a good idea but in your case, you should NOT be aiming to gain muscle. Yes muscle burns calories and the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn throughout the day. But in order to gain muscle, you have to take in more calories than you burn and along the way you will gain some fat along with the muscle. You obviously don't want to gain more fat than you already have. Instead do weight lifting for the purpose of preserving the muscle you have. High reps and low weight, something you can do 10-12 reps per set.

Second, people have told you what minimum number of calories you should take in. Don't rely on those numbers. They are too arbitrary. Use the Harris-Benedict formula instead to figure out what a person of your height, age, gender, and activity level should normally take in. However, it would be a mistake to suddenly jump to that level. You have been eating 500-800 calories per day for a long time. Increasing your caloric intake too quickly will only result in fat storage because your body is used to getting so little. It has been conditioned to hold onto whatever extra you give it. Instead what you need to do is GRADUALLY increase your intake. If you're taking in 800 now, go up to 900 and see what happens. Let your body adjust and then up it to 1000. Keep doing that until you reach the healthy level you determined with the formula. Do a search online. I'm sure you'll find it.

Losing weight may be a matter of just eating healthy and exercising, but your problem is more serious. You are in starvation mode and your first priority needs to be getting out of it. So forget about losing fat. Concentrate just on retraining your body to eat a normal amount of calories. After that, you can shift your focus to losing the fat.

Old 04-12-2003, 09:22 AM   #7
    jessiesgirl

jessiesgirl HB User
    hello123, thanks for your post

Yeah it's a mentality thing, I agree with ya there. It's a physical thing too, I wish that would stop!! lol. I can't make myself eat normal either. I try to but then I get scared of gaining weight. I hate this whole cycle!!

ramsemonius

I do eat good food usually.. fish (salmon, tuna and catfish), vegetables, brown rice, wheat bread, chicken.. etc. I thought that I did have to count calories if I wanted to lose weight? There's no way I can do it without keeping track, I'd go crazy! I do want to change though. Also other foods I eat are fruits, cottage cheese, low fat frozen dinners (like Smart Ones, Lean cuisines..etc), everything I buy is pretty much the low fat versions. Am I doing the right thing? Thanks for your post!

, thanks for your post. I've heard alot of good things about building lean muscle. I have a membership at a gym and used to go often and did cardio, but I was always weak and tired because of eating so little, that I stopped. I never did do weights though. I don't know how to! I don't know where to start. 1800 seems like so much! I would love to eat that much but will I gain??

shelovestoski, thanks for responding!
    Yeah I have screwed up my metabolism, that's what I'm afraid of. It's not good . I will try to get back to the gym though, I am eating a bit more now so maybe it'll be easier.

Hi, DonutsNCoffee! Thanks so much for your advice. What do you mean by high reps and low weight? I dont know much about weight lifting and I didn't know there was a difference between what you are saying, and what the others are. I am going to aim for eating 900 calories today. I hope I don't gain weight. I can forget about losing fat, yes...because I want to get better. But I don't want to gain it either. That's what I'm trying to avoid. If I gain I'm afraid it'll trigger me to go back to below 800 calories. Well I guess there is nothing to do but try!

thanks all,
    jessie's girl

Old 04-12-2003, 09:25 AM   #8
    jessiesgirl

jessiesgirl HB User
    oops! xloptuny, sorry I forgot to add your name! Thanks for your post!

Old 04-12-2003, 12:27 PM   #9
    DonutsNCoffee
    Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by jessiesgirl:
    DonutsNCoffee, what do you mean by high reps and low weight? I dont know much about weight lifting and I didn't know there was a difference between what you are saying, and what the others are. I am going to aim for eating 900 calories today. I hope I don't gain weight. I can forget about losing fat, yes...because I want to get better. But I don't want to gain it either. That's what I'm trying to avoid. If I gain I'm afraid it'll trigger me to go back to below 800 calories. Well I guess there is nothing to do but try!
    Yes, weight lifting can be done for two reasons. You can use to gain muscle mass or just to tone up your muscles. As I said above, gaining muscle requires taking in more calories than your body needs and along with the muscle, you will gain some fat too. Toning your muscles is what you want to do. This is where you just maintain the muscle you have and prevent your body from breaking it down to use as energy, which is what generally happens to people who starve themselves. To tone your muscles, pick a weight that you can do 10-12 reps per set. If you can do more, the weight is too low. If you can't do 10, the weight is too high. Rest 1-2 minutes between set. This will keep your heart rate up throughout your weight training session, it will keep your metabolism elevated for several hours after you're done, and most important of all, it'll send a signal to your body that you still need those muscles.

As far as monitoring how your body is reponding to the increased caloric intake, don't pay attention to weight. A person's weight can fluctuate for so many reasons. Instead, try to track your body fat percentage. There are scales out there that measure body fat percentage. Just make sure to measure it first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. Check it after each week to see if your BF percentage has gone up. If it hasn't, then add another 100 calories to your diet.

Closed Thread