It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Atkins VS Suzanne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2003, 06:54 PM   #1
    Gracie Girl

Gracie Girl HB User
    Post Atkins VS Suzanne

Anybody know anything about the Suzanne Sommers diet?
    I was told it was not as strict as Atkins and allowed fruit. I thought if I could have fruit it might be the key to helping me stay on track seeing I have to have something a little sweet.
    I bought the book tonight so I could compare and make a decision but wanted to see if anyone else compared the two and what they decided.
    I'm determined to get back on a plan by Sunday!!
    Thanks-
    GG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2003, 05:54 AM   #2
    Gracie Girl

Gracie Girl HB User
    Well, 18 people have reviewed this post but no one has answered it!

Has anyone tried the Sommers diet?

Thanks
    GG

Old 02-22-2003, 06:51 AM   #3
    Gemini76

Gemini76 HB User
    Howdy GG!!

Just wanted to reply so you didn't think you were all alone out there!
    I've never done the SS diet. Personally I think she is just a little to happy for me, so I've never checked into her diet. But I tell you what, if you decide to do it, give me a couple days to find the book and I'll do it with ya!
    I hate to do things alone- and wouldn't want ya out there drifting in diet land all by your lonesome.

Love from Gem!

Old 02-22-2003, 07:04 AM   #4
    Gracie Girl

Gracie Girl HB User
    Thanks Gem-

I'm just TIRED of Atkins!! Don't know what else to do except low carb in my own way-
    As I said, I have the book but haven't quite decided to try yet. I want to get back on track with a plan that works for me!!

Old 02-22-2003, 09:08 AM   #5
    dietqueen
    Inactive

dietqueen HB User
    ok, i typed this really long post then my power went out and i lost it! haha!

ok, so, i was originally going to do somersize, but started doing atkins while i was waiting for the tapes i ordered. haha..just got them yesterday! i dont think im going to do it though. my stomache didnt like atkins, so im not sure it would like somersize either. i havent watched the tapes yet, but i know its the same general idea. complex carbs are allowed..fruit is allowed like, 20 mins after a meal and/or 3 hours before (or something funky like that). She stresses not combining certain foods. like carbs with proteins. i dont know what else. my future sister in law is doing it and lost 20 lbs since jan. and my future mother in law lost 10 since the end of jan. so it does work. well, it is working for them anyway.

good luck! let me know what you decide! i am going to watch the tapes anywya out of curiousity. my problem is, i'll get hooked for a week or so!

Old 02-22-2003, 02:05 PM   #6
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Hi Gracie,

There are quite a few low-carb plans that are less restrictive than Atkins (though you probably will not lose weight as quickly as on Atkins, but, hey, if it means you can stick with it, so what).

I have not seen Suzanne's new book, so can't make specific comments. Her thing used to be mostly about not eating starchy foods and protein foods at the same time, but I understand the new book gets closer to Atkins than that. On a couple of boards people have been claiming success. (She has a website, too, if you have not seen it yet.)

Old 02-23-2003, 05:53 AM   #7
    Gemini76

Gemini76 HB User
    Okay I checked out the website. Looks much like all the sites that claim weightloss, but it's nice to know all the products that she has available. I'm going to buy one of the books, probably the latest one, and go from there. If you want to do the diet, let me know. I've tried all the other ones, why not try this one too?
    I was wondering which book it is that you have GG. If you are working with a different one I want to check it out too. And if you decide to use a different diet I'll let ya know if this one works for me.
    I also tried Atkins and my blood sugar kept dropping on me. Had to cheat to stay on the diet, so I gave up on it. I've learned different ways to keep my blood sugar in check without sucking down a ton of carbs at once. I'm pretty sure I know my happy-medium, so I can use her book and still know how many carbs I need during the day, and I can avoid them at night.
    Keep me posted, and I'll keep you posted

Love from Gem!!

Old 02-23-2003, 06:11 AM   #8
    Gracie Girl

Gracie Girl HB User
    Morning Gem-

I'm still debating her book, I have the one called Suzanne Somers- Eat Great, Lose Weight.
    My only concern is that we might not lose the weight as fast I want to- I know that is nonsense b/c if it works, it's a better way! I'm just so ready to see results, NOW! I'm going to continue to try to stay around 20 carbs for today. I will make up my mind about which direction to take at some point soon.
    Thanks for all of your support! Let me know how you are doing!
    Gracie

Old 02-25-2003, 06:45 PM   #9
    Gracie Girl

Gracie Girl HB User
    Hey Gem-

Sorry I am just now checking in with you!
    I think i am going to stay on Atkins for a little while longer. I've been doing pretty good since Sunday so we will see how it goes. Thank you so much for being willing to do Somers with me. I really appreciate it!
    How are you this week? Doing ok?

Love,
    Gracie

Old 02-26-2003, 11:27 AM   #10
    Gemini76

Gemini76 HB User
    Howdy GG!!

I've been taking Xenadrine for a week now. I've lost 10 lbs. I'm off it for two days then back on. Don't want to build up a resistance to it. Both of my sis-in-laws are going to try the Atkins. I found out this weekend that my newest sis-in-law used to be a fitness trainer! What luck! I'm gonna pick her brain and see if I can find out anything I didn't already know. She is using Atkins as a way of life- it's always worked for her. If I find out any info that you all can use I'll be sure to post it.

Love from Gem!!

Old 05-07-2003, 04:17 PM   #11
    nswa

I don't know a whole lot about the Suzanne Sommers diet, but if your problem with the Atkins (or low-carbing it) is missing sweets, there are a couple of things that help me with this. You've probably got recipes for low-carb sweets already, but something really easy is mixing JELL-O brand sugar-free fat-free chocolate pudding mix with heavy cream. It ends up like chocolate mousse after using a hand mixer for a few minutes. I usually add a few almonds for some crunchiness. Also, I found some good ready-made food that doesn't taste like cardboard - one is Celebrity Cheesecake, I think they have a website but I found it in a low-carb store. Anyway, just thought I'd try to help with the sweets problem. Good luck!

Old 05-07-2003, 08:04 PM   #12
    drkim

drkim HB User
    Why not try a healthy aproach? Ever hear of Mannatech? I am on my 3rd month of Glycolean weight loss program. I have lost 14lbs by eating low glycemic foods, substituting 1 meal a day w/ a powdered meal replacement (way better for you than any Slim Fast--ALL SUGAR-- & it tastes great!) and then working myself up to exercising 3 days a week at our local fitness center (Bycycling 30 min =12 miles, 60 scrunches, 30 min. of rowing =3 miles and then 1 day of weights for 1 hr.) And drink plenty of H2O (like the # of oz of at least 1/2 of your body weight-----if you weigh 150, then drink at least 75oz of water --if not more!) I have lost a total of 19 inches and 5.1% of fat. My jeans are baggy, and I enjoy putting my summer short back on! My friends compliment on how I much weight I've lost, only 14 lbs. YET, I look so much leaner! My aim was for a total of 30 lbs, but most of my friends say "you don't need to loose any more" I think it is a matter of getting rid of the fat and getting LEAN.

Old 05-08-2003, 05:39 AM   #13
    jennielynn
    Inactive

jennielynn HB User
    nswa: thanks for the tip on the "chocolate mousse". I've been having sf jello for a treat but I'm looking for something different to try. I'm heading to the grocery store today; so I'll be sure to pick up the ingredients!!!!!

Thanks again!
    Jen

Closed Thread