It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Why am I always hungry?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2003, 12:47 PM   #1
    ajmx

ajmx HB User
    Question Why am I always hungry?

Hello!
    I am a 21 yr old female. I weigh 165 and am 5 foot 5 inches. I am fairly muscular, and go to the gym 5 days/wk for 30 minutes of cardio or weight training.

I was told I am overweight, my BMI is 29. I tried using Slim Fast to lose a couple of pounds, but it didn't work. In fact, now that I am exercising, I am always hungry.

For example:
    This morning I ate a bowl of Kashi with a banana and 6 oz of orange juice and a capuccino. For a snack I had a banana, then my sandwich I brought for lunch, plus a yogurt. I went to the gym and still was hungry. So I went to McDonalds and bought a shake and a McChicken.

I feel better now, and am not hungry.

What am I doing wrong? I have been trying to eat lower calories, lower fat, etc. But now it seems I am hungry all the time. Should I just eat regular food and not try to eat low-fat?

I don't know. Anyone else have a simliar experience?

[This message has been edited by ajmx (edited 06-18-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2003, 01:05 PM   #2
    bakergirl

bakergirl HB User
    Yes, I do have the same problems. I am 5'3" and weigh about 137. All of my weight seems to go right to my stomach and butt. I hate it. I am in my mid 30's and have come to realize that it is getting harder and harder as I get older to keep my weight down. I exercise as well. I think the reason why I am always hungry is because I eat a lot of carbs. I just started making chicken at night and bringing it into work for lunch. I'll tell you what, all I eat for lunch (around 12:00) is 2 pieces of boneless chicken and I am not hungry until about 3:30/4:00. It's amazing. I am going to try to lower my carb intake because when I don't, I am always hungry like yourself. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
    skip_to_my_lou
    (female)

skip_to_my_lou HB User
    I was like that too, always feeling hungry when I ate low-fat, low-calorie. Ultimately I'd give in and eat more than I should, and gain more weight. So now I'm 2 weeks into atkins', and I've gone the other way. Ever since I've drastically reduced my carb. intake, I don't feel hungry all the time. I eat when I'm hungry not thinking about fat or calories, and I'm satisfied. Now I know my hunger was the carb connection. I've lost weight so far.

You might want to think about reducing your refined carbohydrate/simple sugar intake as a start maybe. You don't have to do atkins' to do that, but you can just watch how much you take in. Something to watch out for, if it's low-fat, it might mean higher in sugars and carbs to make up for taste. Just a thought. Also, you might want to increase your water intake as well. That can also quell your appetite.

Old 06-18-2003, 01:58 PM   #4
    ajmx

ajmx HB User
    Hi! Thanks for your suggestions.

Well I would agree with you but for one thing. I drink 6-9 servings of water per day. Also, I eat high fiber grains, and usually stay away from sugars. (well not today).

Old 06-18-2003, 01:59 PM   #5
    ajmx

ajmx HB User
    Hi! Thanks for your suggestions.

Well I would agree with you but for one thing. I drink 6-9 servings of water per day. Also, I eat high fiber grains, and usually stay away from sugars. (well not today).

Old 06-18-2003, 02:21 PM   #6
    Janet in Texas

Janet in Texas HB User
    Hi,

I am hungry too all the time. I am 5'5" and my weight goes up and down anywhere from 115 to 121. I am 36 and it is getting harder and harder to keep it off.

Cream of Wheat fills me up the best in the morning. I just use water or skim milk to prepare it, along with fat free margarine, and a pack of sweet n low. Sometimes I put a little cinnamon sprinkled on it.

Also lately I have tried the green teas and they really seem to somehow curb my appetite. My favorite is the Bigelow brand "Constant Comment" green tea with orange and spice. The green teas are also supposed to enhance your metabolism. I have been drinking vinegar too before and after my last meal of the day.

Fat free pretzels and animal crackers and low cal "fillers" too. My problem is at night when I get home. As long as I can resist a glass of wine in the evenings I do okay. The low fat popcorns are good for me......it tastes pretty good and it takes me a while to eat the bag!

Good luck!
    5'5" F

Old 06-18-2003, 02:28 PM   #7
    GoinCruisin
    Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
    Eating too many carbs can cause an insulin spike which causes hunger... But working out can cause you to be hungry (your body needs to eat, but not junk, try eating protein, which is what your body needs after a workout), I have found that the healthier I eat, the less hungry I am... fill yourself with things your body needs... eating alot of carbs (crackers, snacks, pretzels, NUGGETS!!! LOL), is only going to make you MORE hungry!!! Snack on healthy foods, fruits and veggies... small salads, anything that is lower in the carbs and sugars (and by sugars, I mean bad carbs... like most "snacks" are)... try splitting your breakfast carbs into breakfast and snack... and add more protein Protein is a key especially when working out. I workout for about 2 hours a day, and I eat very healthy... I am hardly EvEr hungry and have to remind myself to eat most of the time.... but I also limit my carbs and try to eat healthy foods when I do eat. Change things up, it usually helps Good luck! Your body needs FUEL, but it needs the right kind

Old 06-18-2003, 03:00 PM   #8
    DonutsNCoffee
    Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
    First of all, don't let someone use BMI to tell you that you're overweight. BMI is a very misleading measure because it doesn't take into account how much of you is fat and how much is bone and muscle.

Second, in order to control hunger, you have to keep in mind what triggers it. The stomach constantly releases acids to digest food. You feel hungry when there's nothing for acids to work on. So one thing you need to do is eat foods that are slow to digest. Protein and foods high in fiber take longer to digest. Liquids and simple sugars are quickly absorbed which is why they don't suppress hunger for long. Second, if the blood sugar is low, signals are sent to the brain that you need to eat. The brain will then send a signal to your stomach to secret more acid. Well your blood sugar will be low if you exercise, so if you want to control hunger, plan your exercise accordingly. Generally, you should eat 30-60 minutes following exercise.

Old 06-19-2003, 05:54 AM   #9
    ajmx

ajmx HB User
    After reading your posts, I think what my problem is is that I don't eat a lot of protein. I usually don't like eating meat or other protein sources because I can't digest them too well and get stomach cramps.

Maybe that's why I crave hamburgers sometimes?

So today, I ate some high fiber cereal with a banana, a bagel, and some juice and lots of water. It's 9:00 and I'm not hungry yet. For lunch I brought a Peanut Butter sandwich.

That's protein, right?

Old 06-19-2003, 06:36 AM   #10
    GoinCruisin
    Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
    In my personal opinion you are getting WAY WAY too many carbs in one meal... everything you ate for breakfast was extremely high in carbs... I would be STARVING within 2 hours of a meal like that... I would imagine if you increase your protein, lower your fat and carbs, you may see a big change. Just my opinion...

Old 06-19-2003, 07:00 AM   #11
    DonutsNCoffee
    Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
    I agree with what GoinCruisin said. That's an awful lot of carbs and not much protein in one meal. I recommend you try oatmeal. Get the plain one and add some fruit on top. That will give you enough carbs, a good amount of fiber, but very little fat and sugar.

Closed Thread