It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Carb and Fat Blockers: My Personal Experiment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2003, 09:27 AM   #1
    KatieMay

KatieMay HB User
    Lightbulb Carb and Fat Blockers: My Personal Experiment

I'm on Day 1 of an experiment to see if these Fat and Carb blockers work. I bought one that has what appears to be a standard list of ingredients for the over-the-counter version of this product. Hopefully this will save you all some time and money.
    Here are my stats:
    I'm 30 years old, 5'3", 150 pounds. I work out regularly and lift weights. The problem I have is that my diet falls apart after 7:00 at night. I eat dinner and can't stop munching. Despite pumping up my work outs to 5 days a week with 50 min to an hour of cardio-vascular with a few days of weights, I have had no weight loss (but I'm also not gaining).
    I never used to be this big. I quit smoking about a year ago, and I have put on about 15 lbs since then.
    So, here's my report for Day 1:
    I took two pills 20 minutes before dinner last night and then did my usual munching. I have had no side effects. I was careful to choose a pill without caffeine, which I'm pretty sensetive to. I slept like a baby. The only noticeable effect happenend this morning. I'm not sure how to put this delicately....I guess I'll just say it. I pooped three times, but it wasn't urgent or uncomfortable, just a little soft. I have a sense now that I'm sort of "empty", which I take as a good sign. I'll report back in a couple days and let you know what's happening.
    If anyone has any advice or commentary regarding the fat and carb blockers, I'd love to hear it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2003, 09:37 AM   #2
    snoopy63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snoopy63 HB User
    I am myself waiting for an order i placed over the internet for phase 2 starch blockers..i am hoping that it comes today...from what i have read on here that seems to be the general consensus (increased "movement") and that doesnt seem like it would be a bad thing...i am not very regular anyway and it might be helpful to get things moving! sorry if this is gross.. I am hoping that they will help me out...i know that i have to make my own effort but a little help wouldnt hurt!! good luck and keep us posted!!

Old 08-27-2003, 10:24 AM   #3
    KatieMay

KatieMay HB User
    That's great! I saw the Starch blocker and it's practically the same thing as mine. Between us, we'll be able to determine if and how these things work. Be careful of the caffeine and other stimulants. I get little heart flutters from ephedra and too much caffeine, so I was careful to choose a product without those things. Just out of curiosity, how much weight are you trying to lose?

Old 08-27-2003, 10:26 AM   #4
    Shel1974
    Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
    Be sure to keep us updated!!!!!!! I'm curious

Old 08-27-2003, 12:14 PM   #5
    MahoganyEssense

MahoganyEssense HB User
    Talking

Hey KatieMay....what product are you currently using? I am glad to hear that your first day/night went good. Keep the board update w/your progress.

Old 08-27-2003, 11:08 PM   #6
    KatieMay

KatieMay HB User
    Hi Mahogany!
    I'm using a product called "block carbohydrates and bind fat" by NFI Dietary supplements. But it's expensive and I'm sure you can get the exact same ingredients for less money with a little searching. The key ingredient appears to be the extract of northern white kidney bean, but I could be wrong. FYI, I had lots of energy during my work out today, but I think that was becasue I was listening to a old 90's alternative mix tape on my headphones and probably not the pills . I'll try to post daily to give everyone updates. I think this will be good because I'm not changing ANYTHING except the pills. My weighht has been completely steady for over 2 months. So anything I lose will have to be the pills. Likewise, if I don't lose anything, you can all save your money.

Old 08-28-2003, 11:05 PM   #7
    KatieMay

KatieMay HB User
    okay so I ran into a wrinkle. Last night, I'd taken two carb/fat-block pills before dinner. Later on, before bed, my stomach started to feel a little upset. This morning I was okay, but I didn't have quite the same experience as yesterday morning. Let's just say that it didn't appear that all the fat I ate yesterday was "harmlessly passing through my system". In fact, I got a few bad intestinal cramps and I'm not sure anything outside of the norm passed at all. It's late now and my belly is REALLY bloated...I think it's either gas or water, and I have no explanation outside of the pills. Getting bloated like this is very unusual for me. Regardless, I have a friend coming in this weekend and I have to fit into my cute outfits, so I decided not to risk it and I'm going to put the experiment on hold until next week. So, until next week. I encourage everyone who tries a new product to post the results here, as this information is invaluable.

Old 09-01-2003, 02:54 AM   #8
    Spinos

Spinos HB User
    I am also trying out the "Starch Blockers"....I have been to many web sites and message boards, and they seem to be a good addition to a low carb diet (like Atkins Diet), but I want to be sure they work.....I checked my Ketones today and was burning SMALL (just started induction again last week). I took the tablets tonight and had a Burrito with the bad things being a Regular tortilla and some beans in it(things I usually leave out).
    I Will report in if my burning goes down or if anything odd happens.....I have practiced the Atkin's diet since 1995 (3 years then losing 75 pounds and keeping them off for 5 years). I have restarted the diet this year after slacking in my habits and gaining back weight......I have now lost 50+ pounds again on Atkin's thanks to the new Low Card TOrtillas......But if I can add RICE and things back and use these CARB BLOCKERS, WOW!

The brand I am using is Dr. Steven Rosenblatt's Starch Blocker, which is Ephedra Free and free of caffeene or any other bad things(the Startch Blocker CHEWS were 4g SUGAR! BAD!) Bottle of 80 pills was 13.50 at Wallmart her in Southern California.

There is a very interesting WARNING on the top of the label of the BOTTLE(not on the outside box) and it states:
    Phase 2(tm) brand white kidney bean extract has no effect on sugars found in fruits, milk and table sugar.

So that dispelled the hope of getting some decent Sweet and Sour Chicken, but I can maybe have the deep fried parts and whip my a sugar-free sweet and sour sauce.....

Oh well, more to come, and good luck on the experiment!

Spinos

Old 09-01-2003, 08:45 AM   #9
    andreaphilip3
    Inactive
    (female)

andreaphilip3 HB User
    hi spinos:

just6 wanna say the label is correct BUT theres always gymenna sylvestre for that

Old 09-01-2003, 10:53 AM   #10
    JennyG

JennyG HB User
    Hi Spinos:

Your results is really inspiring..
    I am jut starting my induction phase for a week. May I ask you a few questions? You mean you lose 75 LB before and restarted Atkins this year to lose another 50+ LB? Wow~~ how did you do it and how long it takes you to lose that much?
    Do you feel harder to reach ketosis or weight loss is slower when you "restart" Atkins?
    And did you use keto stix to test your keto and it always turned purple?

I am so busted because my stix only turned to dark pink but never purple while I ate no fruits, no nuts, no normal carbs and only allowable foods on induction phase so don't know why it remain dark pink stil...

Thanks for your input and sharing...
    CW 200
    GW 150 ( by the end of this year)

Old 09-01-2003, 05:49 PM   #11
    eviejoy
    (female)

eviejoy HB User
    I'm new here but wanted to tell you I think your experiment is a good idea. I, myself, started taking Chitosan (500 mg) before lunch and supper and found it really helps. Have the same results as you as far as the potty goes! Anyway, for some reason I put the pills away and wasn't taking them for a couple weeks. Notice a difference so will begin again tomorrow. I'm 60 yrs old, about 40 lbs overweight, and have dieted in some fashion since I was 10 yrs old. I swear I know eery calorie and carb count of every food in the universe! Keep us posted on how you do with your test.

Old 09-01-2003, 06:23 PM   #12
    andreaphilip3
    Inactive
    (female)

andreaphilip3 HB User
    hi evie,

welcome 2 the board! i take chitosan too but i take 800 mg's b/f b&l& sometimes dinner. did u know that using 500mgs vitamin c wh it increases the effectiveness?

Old 09-02-2003, 08:41 AM   #13
    eviejoy
    (female)

eviejoy HB User
    Thanks for the info Andrea. I do take vitamin C so it should help me, too. I get so disgusted with always being so heavy. How about you? Are you very overweight? Figuring, as I get older, I shouldn't worry about it so much but it's a hard habit to break. thanks for replying. Have a great day.

Old 09-02-2003, 09:15 AM   #14
    andreaphilip3
    Inactive
    (female)

andreaphilip3 HB User
    hi evie!

ditto on the disgusted! esp. now b/c im attendin a wedding this wekend& wanted to be @ 150 by now& yes i have a good amount to lose. how bout you? you have yrself a good day too

[email protected] im startin 1000 mgs chito(my 400's finally ran out)

[This message has been edited by andreaphilip3 (edited 09-02-2003).]

Old 09-02-2003, 03:35 PM   #15
    eviejoy
    (female)

eviejoy HB User
    I want to lose about 40 lbs. Still will be overweight but figure, at my age, who wants to be skinny! Being too thin, as we age, only makes one look older. (Boy, doesn't that sound like an excuse!!!) Take care and don't worry about the wedding. Just knock 'em dead with your personality and a big smile!!!

Closed Thread