It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• south beach diet?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2004, 10:51 AM   #1
    worried1

worried1 HB User
    south beach diet?

hey, is there any one on the boards that is on or has tired the south beach diet? does it work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #2
    colita

colita HB User
    Re: south beach diet?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by worried1
    hey, is there any one on the boards that is on or has tired the south beach diet? does it work?

Yes! My hubby and I are currently on the diet, since 1/4/04. I've lost 8 lbs. and he's lost 12!! The first 2 weeks were a little difficult (Phase 1) but now on Phase 2 it's really, really great . It's a very healthy way of eating (low fat, whole grain, low sugar, etc.) We really enjoy it and both feel better, more energy than we've had in a long time! There are lots of recipes online and you get "treats" everyday .
    Good luck to you!

Old 01-27-2004, 06:26 AM   #3
    angelf2003
    Inactive

angelf2003 HB User

My husband and I are starting this on Monday. Get the book - its really good and helps you understand why you are doing what you are doing. It gives tips on what to eat in restaurants etc....

Bit more sensible than Atkins I think.

Good Luck!

Old 01-27-2004, 09:16 AM   #4
    jamahsan

jamahsan HB User

Quote:
    Hi Worried,

I've been on the South Beach Diet since August 2003, and have acheived my goal weight. I absolutely love this way of eating! It is so healthy, and makes so much sense! I highly recommend the book, also, ivillage has a pretty good support group.

I haven't felt this good in years! It is definitely a lifestyle change not a quick fix diet. Also don't be discouraged if you don't lose the 8-14 pounds on Phase one, most people don't, I know I didn't.

I have stuck with the plan for over 5 months, and now it's just the way I eat, I don't have to think about it anymore. Also, all my cravings are gone. The South Beach Diet also claims "no exercise"... well I think that's just a way to get peoples attention. I exercise 30 mins 5 days a week, and 2 hours weight training.

Let me know if you have any questions!!

Take Care,
    Jamah
    SW: 143lbs
    CW: 112lbs

Old 01-27-2004, 12:43 PM   #5
    angelf2003
    Inactive

angelf2003 HB User

I had a question:

What can you eat for breakfast for phase 1 and 2 if you don't like egg?

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
    jamahsan

jamahsan HB User
    Lightbulb Re: south beach diet?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by *********2003
    I had a question:

Thanks!
    For Phase one that is a little more difficult when it comes to breakfast options that don't include eggs. I'm sure you will get more responses, but I have a few ideas. Will you eat quiche, because I have a great recipe that isn't all eggs?
    Phase 1:
    Cottage cheese mixed with tomatoes and avocados, canadian or turkey bacon.
    Leftovers from the night before.
    Quick stir fry (chicken, beans, & veggies)

Phase 2:
    French toast using whole grain bread, egg white, cinnamon & vanilla extract.
    Natural Peanut Butter and toast, a few red apple slices.
    Rye crackers with part skim mozzerella, tomato, and fresh basil.
    High fiber cereal w/ skim milk.

If you don't mind eating lunch/dinner food for breakfast you can really make anything. I often eat leftovers from the night before. Sometimes I have a hearty salad for breakfast... I've never been one for "breakfast foods" anyhow. I can also eat the same thing every day for breakfast. I usually make a quiche Sunday night, and it lasts me all week.

I'm sure you will get more replies!

Jamah
    143-112-...

Old 01-30-2004, 09:37 PM   #7
    steelwife

steelwife HB User

Quote:
    I had a question:

Thanks!

Hi Angel!!

Unfortunately, you do not have much of a choice if you do not like eggs for breakfast in Pase I. I went through my SBD food planner and eggs seem to be in everything. If you don't like eggs, try the egg subsitutes!!

In Phase II, you can eat ceral and anything with a low glycemic index such as old fashioned oatmeal. Phase II seems easier to handle. My husband and I have been on the SBD for almost a week! I have to admit, it has been hard for me because of my cravings for sweets, but I am getting by.

I was not much of an egg eater myself, but I soon learned that if I was going to stay on this diet, I needed to take the plunge and eat eggs!! I found that I actually like them when I added low fat cheese and mushrooms!!!

Good Luck!!!

Old 01-31-2004, 06:49 AM   #8
    Trinity Star

Trinity Star HB User

I am on the South Beach diet!

I lost 8 lbs the first week!

I am currently on week 2 and I weigh in on Tuesday. I know I lost more weight since then. I finally can fit into my jeans!

I didn't even exercise, however, I am going to start soon which I am sure will really help me get into shape. Especially since I sit at a desk all day at work really doesn't help in that department. Since it is the weekend, I think I am going to take a walk outside for a bit. Providing that it isn't sub zero which I think it is today, lol.

I can't say enough about this plan.

There are other things besides eggs to eat for breakfast. You have to read the book.

Start: 123
    End first week: 115
    Goal: 105

Old 01-31-2004, 08:46 AM   #9
    angelf2003
    Inactive

angelf2003 HB User

Thanks for all the hints tips and suggestions. I just hate egg, the smell and the taste! All the recipes in the book are eggs and omletes etc. Maybe I will stick to having a slim fast shake for breakfast and follow South Beach the rest of the time. Egg just isn't something I can come round too!

Good luck to all!

Old 01-31-2004, 09:13 AM   #10
    liza

liza HB User

Actually, every breakfast doesn't consist of eggs. You have to read the book . There are alot of breakfasts with the egg (phase1), but there are some that don't have it such as
    Cinnamon Surprise. You leave the eggs behind when you are out of phase 1.
    The first phase is all egg related I believe.
    But the entire plan doesn't consist of every day eating eggs.

Last edited by liza; 01-31-2004 at 09:20 AM.

Old 02-01-2004, 02:11 PM   #11
    angelf2003
    Inactive

angelf2003 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by liza
    Actually, every breakfast doesn't consist of eggs. You have to read the book . There are alot of breakfasts with the egg (phase1), but there are some that don't have it such as
    Cinnamon Surprise. You leave the eggs behind when you are out of phase 1.
    The first phase is all egg related I believe.
    But the entire plan doesn't consist of every day eating eggs.
    I realise the whole plan is not about eggs, that is why I chose it! I am starting the diet tomorrow so my comments were more phase 1 oriented. I see breakfasts will be easier once I am out of phase one.

To others out there - what do we think about a slim fast shake in phase one instead of brekkie?

Old 02-01-2004, 04:48 PM   #12
    liza

liza HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by angel fire2003
    Thanks for all the hints tips and suggestions. I just hate egg, the smell and the taste! All the recipes in the book are eggs and omletes etc.

I thought you were literally talking about all the breakfasts when you said all the recipes had egg in it. On that note, Slim Fast won't work with this diet.

Last edited by liza; 02-01-2004 at 04:57 PM.

Old 02-02-2004, 04:19 PM   #13
    jamahsan

jamahsan HB User

Quote:
    I realise the whole plan is not about eggs, that is why I chose it! I am starting the diet tomorrow so my comments were more phase 1 oriented. I see breakfasts will be easier once I am out of phase one.

To others out there - what do we think about a slim fast shake in phase one instead of brekkie?
    Slim fast has 34g of sugar, which isn't allowed at all during the diet, especially Phase one. Starting your morning off with this much sugar is a really bad idea. You may want to consider doing Phase two breakfasts during Phase one.

Old 02-02-2004, 06:10 PM   #14
    angelf2003
    Inactive

angelf2003 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamahsan
    Slim fast has 34g of sugar, which isn't allowed at all during the diet, especially Phase one. Starting your morning off with this much sugar is a really bad idea. You may want to consider doing Phase two breakfasts during Phase one.
    Oh dear - They do have a lot of sugar in! Maybe i'll just have tea and a glass of water. I don't usually eat brekkie anyway! Someone else suggested having a little of the lunch/dinner food for breakfast - which maybe not such a bad idea!

Today was my first day and I have stuck to it! So far so good!

Old 02-03-2004, 04:31 AM   #15
    apatim

apatim HB User

Quote:
    My wife, daughter and I started on it one week ago (1/28/04). Daughter has lost 7 lbs. I lost 7 lbs. Wife lost 1.5 lbs (she doesn't need to lose as much as me and daughter anyway) We joined a gym 5 months ago and have been working out with weights, doing cardio-type equipment (bikes, treadmill, etc) and playing alot of raquetball which has helped to increase lean muscle mass considerably. I was at 264 lbs on 8/21/03 and am at 238 now. I had stalled in weight loss which is what prompted the South Beach dieting.

Thing I miss the most............ BEER. Don't plan on reintroducing it at end of phase one though. Plan to stay on phase one for one month rather than 2 weeks. May start drinking a glass of red wine each evening after that.

I don't know about you but I feel amazingly great.... MUCH ENERGY!

Closed Thread