It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• How long can a person last without Food?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #1
    NewYorkGirl83

NewYorkGirl83 HB User
    Question How long can a person last without food?

I need to lose 55 lbs I was thinking about starving myself for a month or so I'm saying how long can a person last without food. Someone told me that for everyday you don't eat you drop 2-3lbs is there any truth to that comment? please get at me with any feedback you may have regarding this matter Thanks in advance everyone take care bye

Last edited by NewYorkGirl83; 02-01-2004 at 05:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 09:27 PM   #2
    msloquacious

msloquacious HB User
    Re: How long can a person last without Food?

Well, NewYorkGirl83, my experience tells me that if you try to *starve* yourself to lose weight, any weight you *do* drop (if at all) will come back the minute you start eating again.

Worse than that, though, you will find yourself getting super-moody, and your body will check itself into "starvation mode" (where it basically begins to eat itself). Your metabolism will plummet and any fad diet subsequent to this one, that you would want to go on, will work even less effectively than this!

There's only one way to lose weight and keep it off (I'm down almost 40 pounds now, and have been losing for the last year); this is to *exercise* and *eat in moderation/frequently/non-junky food.*

There's no such thing as a "miracle-cure" pill OR method to miraculously shed 55 lbs in a month; it took you a LONG time to gain that weight, so don't expect that it will take you that much less, to get rid of it!

Good luck, and start exercising!

Old 01-20-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
    junkbondtrader
    Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User

i agree with the person who already responded.

i'd like to also add that it sounds like you may be developing an eating disorder or may have one already. starving yourself or considering doing so should be a red flag to you that you need to think about your body image and maybe talk to someone about it and try to get things sorted out before you get involved in something that could make you really miserable and harm your body.

i'm REALLY not trying to sound judgemental here, and i hope i didn't come across that way, i just hate to think about someone putting themselves through this to lose weight. i have friends with eating disorders and none of them would ever recommend anyone else start down the path they did, it's such h*ll for them.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:10 PM   #4
    Mommyof4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I totally agree with the PP and wanted to add a thought. Anytime you send your body into starvation mode, you stop burning fat and start burning muscle. This is why you see people on tv who haven't eaten in a while and are very weak. Food has it's place in your life. It is your source of energy. You jut have to find out how much you actually need and not go beyond those limits.

Weight loss comes down to not consuming more than you use. It's not the food that's the problem so much as our behavior towards the food

Last edited by Mommyof4; 01-20-2004 at 10:10 PM.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:45 AM   #5
    track77

track77 HB User

{NewYorkGirl83}

To answer the question you wanted.. rather than tell you that you need to diet and exercise.. I think we ALL, already know that! Read what I've written below. Be responsible, and safe. Stay in tune with your body. And, remember that Jesus fasted for 40 days!

If you want to starve yourself, of course you have to weigh out the risks that are involved. Depending on how long you'd like to diet, you have to consider some common factors, of starvation. I'll make it simple to understand.

First. You have to understand that for the first 3-4 days you will suffer from headaches and migraines, because your body is lacking nutrition. After the 3-4 day, your body will begin to attack the fat cells, that you have stored up. You will notice that you will be dizzy and tired, normal, because your body is working over time to supply it with it's needed nutrition supply. But don't worry, you will be okay. Know that you are doing this to lose a rapid amount of weight, almost over night. This won't be handed to you... you have to earn it!

Also, you will notice that you are constantly dry of the mouth! Make sure you are drinking water non stop! Carry a water bottle around with you, at all times! If you add a drop of fresh lemon to your drink, you will notice it will fill you and make you less hungry. After the 4th day, you shouldn't even be hungry, most likely, not even tempted. After the 4th day, start taking a daily vitamin, and possible cranberry to help filter your system. Also, vitamin C, so that your body has a boost, that is needed for preventing your body from shutting down. Encourage yourself to not be lazy. Don't nap if you get tired, instead, walk. If you have to, go shopping, so that you force yourself to walk. The MORE you work your body, and it doesn't have to be strenuous exercise, the quicker your body will burn the fat.

Don't give up! When you are on day 8, you will notice a BIG change in your body. Physically, you will feel lighter, and will notice a drastic change in the mirror. Your clothes will also fit looser. Avoid weighing yourself before the first ten days. You will only discourage yourself. Your first five lbs on the scale will feel like you've lost 10. So, don't give up! You're almost there!!! Drink water, and don't stop! Your appetite will be so small, you'll feel your body rejecting water. Your appetite is shrinking, and thinks it's already full. Drink water even if you feel like your not thirsty. Your body will NEED to water to flush your system.

Day 12. Step on a scale! Ravel at how much you've lost! I'll bet you lose 15-20 lbs!!! Be proud of yourself, that you've come this far! But, don't give up!! Pick up a new hobby, something that will take you away from your thoughts of wanting to be at your goal weight.

Each day after day 12, you will notice that you are losing up to 2-3 lbs a day! If you boost yourself to do some light exercise, like cleaning house, walking the dog, dancing to a good song, it will help shed the last bit of your goal weight. Also, make SURE that after the 12th day, you have continued to take your vitamins. Take as many as you want, it's also a GOOD idea to take your vitamins RIGHT BEFORE BED. This will prevent a stomach ache, that would be associated with not taking them with food. After the 12th day, treat yourself to a FRESH banana. Your body will thank you! Also, if you like avocados, THEY are GREAT! Those two will provide your body with your recommended nutrition.

Avoid sodas and sugar. Don't be fooled by drinking a Mt. Dew, to replace a glass of water. There is a big difference. You'll only be storing the sugar, as your body tries to find a source of fat supply. The 50 lbs you want to lose, will EASILY feed your body for as long as you hold out. After you notice that you've lost half your goal, treat yourself to a healthy Slim fast drink, or any supplement drink. You've earned the treat. But, wait until you've lost half your goal.

And.. There you go. You will do it! After you have met your goal, and you are ready to start eating again, gradually allow yourself to eat, with soups, and salads. You don't want to tear up your digestive system. No meat for at least a week. Light. Keep it light. You can maintain your weight, by continuing to exercise. After you've lost your 50 lbs, you're not going to want to waste your nice earned body! Your self esteem will be at an all time high!!!! Motivate yourself to get out, keep your body working for you! Encourage your metabolism to stay at it's all time high! Even if you present yourself as HAPPY and energetic, it'll work toward your advantage.

Starving has it's side affects. You have to make sure you take your vitamin! It'll prevent your hair from falling out. They also sell vitamins just for your hair. Buy some. Cranberry is to prevent your body from getting a bladder infection. Also, your skin will become a little oily, during the first 3-4 days, so make sure you use a facial cleanser. And, to properly cleans your colon, after the first 3-4 days, use FreeLax. It WON'T give you diarrhea. Use one a day, it will flush your system, and remove the build up. Once you notice that your colon is clean, and your bm's are stringy, (I know that sounds gross) buy a colon cleanser vitamin. They sell them at GNC. They are AWESOME!!! And, if you want, a liver flush would do you some good! I would recommend you do a liver flush. It will leave your body feeling refreshed. Below is the liver flush recipe, they used on VH1. It taste nasty, but it's the price you have to pay.

Well... You are almost there! Stay safe. You know your body, listen to it. If you want to find some helpful information, visit [removed] they offer great information. Don't look at flushing your system as starving yourself, or becoming anorexic. There are so many terms for eating disorder. Treat this as a life changing experience. Fasting, is a better term. A lifestyle change. Good luck.

Liver Flush
    1/2 teaspoon whole cloves

3 sprigs of parsley

1 clove of garlic

1 pinch of cayenne pepper

2 small oranges peeled

1/2 grapefruit peeled

1/2 lemon peeled

1 to 2 inches of fresh ginger root peeled

1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
    Instructions: Put 2 oz. water in blender. Start blending the
    ingredients listed above one at a time in order except olive oil. When all ingredients are completely blended, approximately 1-2 minutes, coarse stain into bowl, stirring with wooden spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. (The clove stem will not breakdown completely, this is fine). Coarse strain means the mesh of the strainer is coarse, about the size of holes in a window screen or slightly larger. Spring water can also be added if it is too thick. Then put back strained liquid in blender, add olive oil and re-blend. Yields about 10-12 ounces.

Drink on an empty stomach first thing in the morning on the liver days of the cleanse. Do not eat anything for at least 30 minutes.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-23-2004 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. Brand names are allowed, websites are not. Thank you.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:58 AM   #6
    track77

track77 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: How long can a person last without Food?

{NewYorkGirl83}

Also, depending on your current weight. The more you weigh, the easier it will be to lose the fat. If you are muscular, know that your muscle will be converted to fat. And, if you work out, your fat will be converted to muscle. It's a lose lose situation. Do like exercise. Minimal. Walking is good. We could all use muscular tight legs.

About three times out of the year, I fast. I have a medium build. I use to have a medium/large build. When I fast, I look to lose a quick 20-30 lbs. It takes my body 14 days. That's with only water. Nothing in my system but water and vitamins. I take 8 various vitamins before bed every day, even when not fasting. I've never had difficulties with losing hair, or fatigue. I'm lazy, by nature.. so I wouldn't really consider its side affect for me, personally..

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:27 PM   #7
    badlilangel

badlilangel HB User

That's horrible to encourage the poor girl to starve herself based on a silly bible story. Jesus may have "fasted for 40 days" but people also lived for almost 1000 years in the bible! Starving will RUIN your metabolism. Losing weight (and keeping it off) is not as easy as just not eating.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:17 PM   #8
    oceandreams
    Inactive
    (female)

oceandreams HB User

It sounds like NewYorkGirl is determined to do this, and none of us can talk her out of it. It's a real shame to see someone come along and actually encourage her to do it.

NYG, this is a very risky thing you're going to do. You really should do a LOT of reading about fasting before you proceed, and it should be done under a doctor's supervision. But something tells me you won't bother with either.

Old 01-22-2004, 04:00 AM   #9
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

Ok, there are two things that can happen when you fast:
    Option 1. You starve yourself to death.
    Option 2. You lose weight, start eating again normally, gain the weight back PLUS A HELL OF A LOT MORE.

Do you want either of those things?...

Old 01-22-2004, 06:21 AM   #10
    track77

track77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisa summerford
    Rule of 3's

3 minutes without air
    3 days without water
    3 weeks without food.

David Blane didn't die, and he went without food for 44 days. That's exactly SIX WEEKS and TWO DAYS!!!!! Provided, he was given ample water supply, but no food. It was witnessed by thousands! I'm sure he had vitamin supplements in his water, but nope.. no food. Period.

{NewYorkGirl83}

Starving yourself doesn't mean you're going to die. Yeah, if your stupid, and think this would make a living, for looking good and skinny, yeah, it'll eventually catch up with you, and kill you. But to flush your system, periodically, won't harm you. And it's NEVER made me gain more weight. I fast through out the year, and I would never consider myself has having an eating disorder, or being anorexic. I can comfortable fast for 7 days with no stress to my body. I always feel revived after my body has been flushed. Often, yeah, I do it for religious reasons, I fast to cleans not only my body but my mind. It's a healing process, and has so often been mistaken for an eating disorder.

Sometimes, we strive and we strive to lose weight. Mostly fat consumption. We jog, we eat less, we take pills that promise us to stay lazy and eat a box of pizza, and all for what? The SAME thing will happen to those people, that will happen to those that fast. They lose their desired 10 lbs, and think.. WOW.. I can eat what I want now, I've lost that needed 10 lbs. They stop exercising, they fall back into their old routine of bad eating habits and find that they eventually GAIN the 10 lbs back. It's because they don't know how to maintain their body. It's a bad habit, that was taught at a young age. Nobody encouraged us, growing up, how to keep our bodies healthy. Yeah, they may today, but they didn't in the early 90's, when I went to school.

The only way you're going to succeed, at dieting, and say that you had a tremendous success, is if YOU decide. YOU. That means, you forget about all the pills that promise you they will do the work for you, you forget about all the gimmicks that you've ever heard. And, you evaluate yourself. WHY do I weigh what I do? Am I too lazy? Do I eat too much, even when I'm full, I finish my plate? Do I suffer from something in my past, that has traumatized me to feel this way? Am I insecure about who I am? All those things come into play, when you have to realize, that it's YOU that has made YOU look the way you do. Nobody forced you to eat the whole bag of chips, no body begged you to finish the king size candy bar. You did. In order to change, you have to take control of yourself. And know that it's not going to be over night. You have to find a friend, a buddy that SUPPORTS you. And I wouldn't recommend your significant other. A friend that you can trust, a friend that knows you!

I don't see anything wrong with jump starting a diet, with fasting. Cleans your body, before you figure out what your body needs. If you fast, and you come of your fast, losing 30 lbs, that's AWESOME. It's easily attained. But don't think that because you lost 30 lbs, your invincible. Take pride in knowing that you achieved this goal, and at that point, change what you eat. Take notice of portion sizes, that's such a huge factor. If you like junk food, and your body knows no other ways of eating, you can change that. Find good recipes for eating foods that are similar to junk food, but not as fatty.

I'm crazy, I know. That I would tell this girl to go for it! If she has what it takes, MORE POWER to HER! If she does it, she will control what becomes of it, after she loses her desired weight. I'm not encouraging her to go ahead and lose 60 lbs, she'll look better in her clothes. Nope. I bet she looks fabulous as she already is. But there's something inside of HERSELF that says she NEEDS to lose this weight. And if her body says she NEEDS to, then she is strong willed, and I would only encourage that she does what she thinks her body needs. She didn't come in her, asking for help, because she wants to starve herself and she wants to prevent this from happening. She asked for help in successfully doing it. Right, the first time.

Go for it! If you want a buddy. I'm here. I COMPLETELY understand your will power and desire. If you want to talk, I'm totally here to listen. Why do you need to lose 55 lbs? Is it your self esteem, or do you just want to look nice when you see yourself in the mirror? I need to lose weight too. I'm currently taking Zantrex 3. I started yesterday. I took one this morning, even though yesterday I got a SERIOUS migraine. I'm thinking today will be different. I feel fine, so far. I have about ... oh.. I could go for 30 lbs. I'm naturally a .. not really lazy. I have two kids and keep busy with their school. But I have a sweet tooth, for stuff like peanut M&M's. I also LOVE ice cream fudge bars. Those are my weakness. I don't have the current state of mind to fast, though if you want. We can do it together. And we could share a diary with each other. That would be good. We could swap our before pics.. and then take progress pics.. If you just want somebody to talk to.. I'm here.. you can email me..

[email removed]

Anyway.. if you decide to go through with this. You have the support of me. I think you have enough support from yourself. But if you need someone to talk to.. I'm open.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-23-2004 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. The forums are for public anonymous use only. Do not offer or solicit private or off-board contact. Thank you.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:59 AM   #11
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

I said two options, either you go with it too long and you will die or you stop and gain the weight...So after a year without food you won't die? I doubt it.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:02 AM   #12
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

Track. You're sick. I really don't believe a word of what you're saying. Do you wanna destroy her life or something? Sheesz.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:27 AM   #13
    badlilangel

badlilangel HB User

David Blane is an illusionist. His career is to appear to be doing things he is not! haha

Old 01-22-2004, 08:04 AM   #14
    track77

track77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by badlilangel
    David Blane is an illusionist. His career is to appear to be doing things he is not! haha
    Yes, but to the contrary of his manner. The images spoke for themselves, when he stepped out of the box, and his figure was gaunt and angular looking, it was apparent that he hadn't any food in weeks.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:48 AM   #15
    nenofury

nenofury HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewYorkGirl83
    I so desperately want to lose 55lbs that I'm planning on not eating for a month just drink lots of water, tea, and juice. Anyone tried starving before to lose weight please let me know how long you lasted and how long did it take to see results please I need more information regarding this matter. I don't have an eating disorder or anything I'm just saying I heard people losing weight quickly by not eating. Please get back at me....... Any type of feedback will be appreciated please respond to me ASAP
    If you have the will power to do that I have a better solution. If you are only willing to lose weight through food restriction than I would do atkens at 9 times your body weight. Daily intake should be 70% fat and %30 protein. You will actually lose more overall weight this way and most of it will be bodyfat, not muscle.

Closed Thread