It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board

• Ok,...dumb question, but what's water weight?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User
    Ok,...dumb question, but what's water weight?

How come you lose water weight when you start exercising or a diet? So it's just water leaving your body kind of? From the sweating maybe? You drink a lot of water don't you? Emm yeah... can someone explain to me please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2004, 07:04 AM   #2
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User
    Re: Ok,...dumb question, but what's water weight?

Oh, come on, you all talk about it a million times...

Old 01-22-2004, 07:11 AM   #3
    HaneyC98

HaneyC98 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chrissy F.
    Oh, come on, you all talk about it a million times...
    Most of it is usually due to sodium in foods or even just the salt used on natural foods. It is why some people have puffy ankles or even knees.

This is a concern of mine as I'm sure you just seen. I do drink a ton of water (maybe not as much as I should but it's still a lot), I changed my salt to Morton's lite, & eating just protein, veggies, and small amts of fruit.

I may not be to sure what you mean by your question but everyone retains water which can add to about 10 lbs of weight. (the first you lose when you start your diet because you are focused more on drinking extra water than your past life style).

Anyhow, I may be rambling...lol.
    Maybe others can help out here.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:30 AM   #4
    seagoddess37
    Inactive

seagoddess37 HB User

chrissy, water weight is the extra weight you carry around on your body when you are retaining water. you usually retain water when your sodium intake is higher than usual (due to processed foods or overuse of the salt shaker.) another time most women retain a lot of water is during *that time of the month*. this explains the bloating and the puffiness of the tummy and whatnot. it sounds crazy, but you actually retain less water when you drink *more* water. you should be drinking at least 64 oz a day (that*s 8 cups)..and even more when you*re doing heavy exercise. i hope that helps you a little.

*crystal*

Old 01-22-2004, 07:36 AM   #5
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

Yeh but if you are drinking more water you should be gaining water weight :S

Old 01-22-2004, 07:39 AM   #6
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

I don't even like salt, yuck... Even before I knew it was unhealthy I was always like no, no salt. I did used to get in a lot when my dad still cooked for me, do you think that's why I got those weak ankles?

Old 01-22-2004, 07:41 AM   #7
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

So you retain less water from drinking water and more from sodium intake. How about tea? Is that better or worse than water? Why do you have to retain less water to lose weight? What's it good for?

Old 01-22-2004, 07:57 AM   #8
    HaneyC98

HaneyC98 HB User

But when you drink all that water, you're supposed to be getting rid of it plus extra. I thought the same thing..lol. Saying "why am I drinking all this water if I can't get it out of me? or Why am I putting more in when I want to get RID of it?"

All I did was give myself a headache from thinking...so i stopped.

Old 01-22-2004, 09:02 AM   #9
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

How come you give away some extra? And errm...hmm....I had another question... Why do you need to lose water to lose weight? To lose the water weight? Water weight doesn't make fat does it?

Old 01-22-2004, 03:20 PM   #10
    seagoddess37
    Inactive

seagoddess37 HB User

Quote:
    How come you give away some extra? And errm...hmm....I had another question... Why do you need to lose water to lose weight? To lose the water weight? Water weight doesn't make fat does it?
    nope, water weight doesn*t make fat, but it makes most people feel uncomfortable. extra water weight makes you look puffy and bloated, as when on your period. plus it upsets people who become obsessed with weighing themselves. believe me, i*ve fallen victim to the scale many a time. that*s why i don*t weigh myself when it*s *that time*. hehe.

Old 01-23-2004, 02:55 AM   #11
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

Okay, so that's the reason you should drink that much? You're sure I will lose water weight the more I drink right?

Old 01-23-2004, 02:56 AM   #12
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

How about tea then? Is that better than water?

Old 01-23-2004, 07:29 AM   #13
    sean
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
    How about tea then? Is that better than water?
    Tea is a very healthful beverage, green especially, but black, too. It is fine to drink plenty of tea, but if you use sugar, you'd be better off with water.

The water weight most people lose when dieting has little or nothing to do with sodium. Your body, especially the muscles, stores energy not only in fat cells, but in the muscles as glycogen (formed directly from blood sugar). When you diet--almost any diet, whether low carb, low calorie, whatever--your body will start to use up, eventually depleting, this stored glycogen.

Each molecule of glycogen is tied to four molecules of water while in storage. this is the chemical/physcial structure of the storage form of blood sugar in muscle. When we use up a hundred grams of glycogen (to release 400 calories of energy to make up for less food energy being consumed), for example, we will also release 400 grams of water (to urine). So, by cutting our calories by 400 calories, we force the body to shed a total of 500 grams--more than a pound--of weight.

After about a week or two we have usually shed all the glycogen the body is willing to give up, and probably five to ten pounds of water and glycogen combined, and very little "water weight" will be lost thereafter.

This helps explain why people sometimes have less energy on a diet-until the body shifts to burning fat, providing ketones in place of blood sugar, we simply have less fuel easily at hand. Eventually for most people, the body shifts over and many folks eventually start to feel even more energetic, even without having the glycogen stored.

This also explains why we can put on a few pounds with just a day or two of dietary slippage over a holiday--we haven't actually eaten 10,800 calories too many--which would be enough to add three pounds of fat--in just two days or so. But we HAVE eaten many ounces of sugars and simple starches which are very quickly added back into the muscle storage, and which tuck four times as much water by weight for every ounce or pound of glycogen.

Why people say you have to drink lots of water to avoid water retention is a mystery to me. I have read the discussion here and a million places and times elsewhere, and cannot make sense of it. I thin its a myth.

Anyway, one way or another, that doesn't affect the basic glycogen explanation, which I hope you found helpful.

sean

Old 01-23-2004, 02:02 PM   #14
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

Gosh you know a lot! Well, I don't drink tea with sugar in, but I have those dried flowers in them, you know them? They use them in China. We get them from the chinese store, I'll ask my mom what kind of flowers they are. They make the tea taste a bit sweet, I don't know what it is but it just tastes nice I would exclude them if they're bad for me but they are oh so yummy lol.

Closed Thread